please help! (heater problem) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > please help! (heater problem)

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
beaver
1999 XJ Cherokee 

please help! (heater problem)

First off, I drive a '99 cherokee with the 4.0. I just replaced the thermostat because it was sticking. No problem there, works fine. But now my heater wont get hot. Its way to damn cold to be driving around without a heater this time of year so I need to fix it asap. I took the day off work so I need to do it today.

I checked the water hoses from the pump to the heater area. The pump is puting out water just fine but it seems to be that it is getting blocked off somwhere at the heater. I think it might be the heater thermostat but I really dont know. Hopefully someone here can help.

Thanks in advance,

Josh.

beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
navymech
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If there is water coming out of the heater core supply hose going into the heater core (when running=water pump working) and the engine is at it's correct operating temp, it sounds like the core is blocked by some crud.
Disconnect the hoses (carefully or you can break the core and cause much more pain!!) from the core and using a garden hose try to flush water each direction into the core. Eventually you should get it to start flowing and a bunch of garbage should come out. Keep flushing until you get good flow in both directions, reconnect hoses and top off coolant as necessary. This is what I have always done and unless the core is so full of concrete crud, it works most every time. You might want to consider flushing the engine as well or it can plug itself up again...
navymech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

An air bubble in the system from the thermostat replacement would be my guess as the source of the problem. Check the radiator and see if the fluid is at the correct level. Leave the radiator cap off, turn the heat on, and start the engine. Keeping yourself and your clothing away from any moving engine parts, squeeze the upper radiator hose a few times every 30 seconds until the thermostat opens. Have some coolant on hand in case the coolant level drops. You will know when the thermostat opens, a small amount of coolant will surge up and overflow. When this happens, simply grab the radiator cap and install it.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

Last edited by CJ7-Tim; 12-11-2009 at 01:13 PM..
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
Deezelweazel
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Did you make sure the tiny hole in the thermostat is up to enable air to evacuate?
Check the heater hoses, both must be hot to the touch.
If not, see ^ Was the heater warm before you changed the thermostat? If not change the water pump too.
Deezelweazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
96xjclassic
1996 XJ Cherokee 

could also have a bad heater control valve.
Unread 12-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
Deezelweazel
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Its a 1999!
Deezelweazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelweazel View Post
Its a 1999!
yeah no heater control valve.

Flush the heater as mentioned earlier and you should be good. Its a common problem.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
beaver
1999 XJ Cherokee 

thanks a lot fellas, will do!
Unread 12-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

What temp is the temp gauge running at? Should be a tick under 200. Gotta know what temp the engine is operating at as a baseline check.

If engine is at proper temperature, then the heater core is definitely suspect for blockage.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #10
beaver
1999 XJ Cherokee 

it has always ran a tick over 200 and still does. I did some more tinkering and got the heater cleaned out but now I think the radiator is clogged. Im gonna take it to the shop tommorow and have them flush the radiator and motor and see if my problems stop. Its pretty nasty for sure.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.