Please help anyone, Rpms jump and fall! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Please help anyone, Rpms jump and fall!

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
x99XJsportx
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Please help anyone, Rpms jump and fall!

My CE liight has been on and i finally checked it out, and i plugged it in. 2 codes came up, but this is the only one i remember; P0171. System Too Lean (Bank 1). but before you look that up, i know i have a crack in my manifold, and i understand it needs to get replaced. but whenever my engine heats up to normal temp, ill keep my foot steady and my rpms will just drop, then shoot up, and go up and down over and over while i keep my foot steady. but if i go over 3k it wont do it. after i let the rpms go back down it will want to die so i have to either put my food down and feel my jeep jump and jump and jump or go 3k plus on the rpms and go flying by. It does become very difficult to drive this way. especially when their are people in front of you.

If you were on the road next to me or in the passenger seat, it would look like i would stomp on the pedal and right away let go and jump on it again and let go, it is very frustrating so if anyone could help i would appreciate it! i will find the other code later and post it in an hour or two as I am working

x99XJsportx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
jeepnphreak
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Give this a try and seed what happens to the code
A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
  • The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
  • There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.

94 yj: stock everything and 4 angry squarrels under the hood.
jeepnphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Without knowing all the trouble codes, there is little you can do. Download and post all the exact code numbers.

What you can and should do first, is fix the cracked manifold.

P0171 Causes:
- Intake air leaks
- Faulty front heated oxygen sensor
- Ignition misfiring
- Faulty fuel injectors
- Exhaust manifold leaks
- Incorrect fuel pressure
- Lack of fuel
- Incorrect Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) hose connection

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas , idle , issue , jeep , rpm

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.