Plastic bead tire balancing... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Plastic bead tire balancing...

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Plastic bead tire balancing...

Just want to add myself to the list of people who were skeptical but are now convinced through actually doing it. Just mounted 2 235/75-15 Geolanders for my wifes Xterra and added apprx 5 oz of store bought 6mm .12oz plastic bb's to each. Works perfectly. Test drove up to 75mph. Doing the rear tires today. I will now be using these on all my vehicles. Small craftsman compressor: $90 Harbor freight manual tire machine: $65 Large container of plastic bb's: $15 Not having to pay someone to mount & balance tires (happens way to often) PRICELESS

cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i do it too. i put in i think about a pound in my 37s though haha. but it works
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

8 oz. of ceramic dynabeads in each of the 35x12.5x17s mounted on Raceline single beadlocks (didn't even need my own tire machine!) on my TJ. There is an ever so slight wobble at 52-54 if you get stuck cruising there. That is the frequency where TJ tire balance issues very often show up. It is very slight though and if you didn't know to look for it you might not even notice it. I've been very happy.
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Yea I checked out a few different posts to get an idea of how much to use and saw what a few of you guys need when you run "real" tires. You should buy stock in airsoft. As a follow up I did the other 2 tires today and results were the same, perfect.
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenez1 View Post
Yea I checked out a few different posts to get an idea of how much to use and saw what a few of you guys need when you run "real" tires. You should buy stock in airsoft. As a follow up I did the other 2 tires today and results were the same, perfect.
thats what i did, i went to the local sporting goods store and basically cleaned em out of airsoft BBs
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
Unread 10-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Added bonus is you don't loose balancing weights from the wheels when crawling over rocks or splashing through muddy trails. The plastic and ceramic beads reduce to dust over time, but it is not a huge issue especially if running beadlocks (easy to replace).

I myself haven't tried yet, but planning on doing that when I replace my bruised and battered black Ds with some other steel wheels. The larger the tire size one is running, the more weight is often required - especially on bias ply versions. Makes balancing a lot easier, just pour in a few ounces of plastic beads

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

A little confused what do they do? Balance the tires? Is this for any tire, passenger car, and Jeeps......?
79chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79chiefs View Post
A little confused what do they do? Balance the tires? Is this for any tire, passenger car, and Jeeps......?
Dynamic balance. As the tire spins the force pulls the beads outward in the tire to the spots where they need to be to balance. Common in offroad vehicles with larger tires.
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I wondered the same thing until I saw some posts from a Ducati forum about it. If guys running high perf. street/race bikes are getting good results from it then its more than good enough for my toys.
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Ok so I guess my question is... Did anyone mount there tires then drive with them unbalanced then dismount them add the bbs then mount and run again... I have never heard of this so forgive me for my skepticism
infob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 12:43 AM   #11
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by infob View Post
Ok so I guess my question is... Did anyone mount there tires then drive with them unbalanced then dismount them add the bbs then mount and run again... I have never heard of this so forgive me for my skepticism
yep, i ran mine before i balanced em. mine are too big so discount tire couldnt fit them on the balancer. I had to drive home out of balance and it shook and shimmied really bad. put some airsoft BBs in and they balanced right out.
RC vs BDS
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:37 AM   #12
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The only problem with doing this is if you are ever in the situation where you must use Fix a Flat, or Slime in your tires, it is all over!! That stuff will make the beads stick in place and it will shake soo hard you will think the tires are going to tear off the truck.

We have been using Centramatics ( www.centramatic.com ) on our semis at work for years with good results. Most of our trucks are city runners. The shop manager says we average 250,000 miles on a balancer before it quits working. (much more on the road trucks, like 750,000)

The reason is that the steel shot in the tube wears pits in the tube and gets hung up in the low spots, or a small leak will form and the oil runs out. But when you are spending $800.00 for one steer tire it is well worth the cost of the Centramatic.

For us here it probably isn't a big deal since we would only use a tire once, but at work they used to use the beads in the tire and they got away from it. What was happening was the beads were wearing down the rubber inside the tire to the point that they could not get it recapped. (FYI: Depending on condition and care, you can re-cap a truck tire 4 to 5 times before it is ready to be retired from service. It could have close to 1.2 million miles on it by then. Do the math $800.00 for new, $175.00 to recap what you got.)

Centramatic also sells balancers for light trucks, and yes the XJ. I have been kicking around the idea of trying them out. They are only $200.00 for the set. The nice thing is that it will balance the whole wheel assembly even if it is full of mud/snow, and continue to re balance as it gets flung out.

I would be curious to see what effect these would have on a truck with a known "Death Wobble"? Would the balancer be able to cancel it out???
dave564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:45 AM   #13
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Go here and watch this video http://centramatic.com/Page.aspx?pag...lancers%20Work

Start it at the 2 minute mark to get right to the good stuff.
dave564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 04:26 AM   #14
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

Hate to say this. When i had ine balanced that way at a good tire shop they just would not balance. In the end went to weights again Probably a bent wheel they suggested...
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #15
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave564 View Post
The only problem with doing this is if you are ever in the situation where you must use Fix a Flat, or Slime in your tires, it is all over!! That stuff will make the beads stick in place and it will shake soo hard you will think the tires are going to tear off the truck.
Answer) I NEVER use fix a flat or slime except in atv tires.
We have been using Centramatics ( www.centramatic.com ) on our semis at work for years with good results. Most of our trucks are city runners. The shop manager says we average 250,000 miles on a balancer before it quits working. (much more on the road trucks, like 750,000)
Answer) We use beads in our 60,000 lb over the road cranes = No problems & cost less
The reason is that the steel shot in the tube wears pits in the tube and gets hung up in the low spots, or a small leak will form and the oil runs out. But when you are spending $800.00 for one steer tire it is well worth the cost of the Centramatic.

For us here it probably isn't a big deal since we would only use a tire once, but at work they used to use the beads in the tire and they got away from it. What was happening was the beads were wearing down the rubber inside the tire to the point that they could not get it recapped. (FYI: Depending on condition and care, you can re-cap a truck tire 4 to 5 times before it is ready to be retired from service. It could have close to 1.2 million miles on it by then. Do the math $800.00 for new, $175.00 to recap what you got.)
Answer) You have a point with commercial truck tires however since I don't use recaps on my personal vehicles it is a moot point.
Centramatic also sells balancers for light trucks, and yes the XJ. I have been kicking around the idea of trying them out. They are only $200.00 for the set. The nice thing is that it will balance the whole wheel assembly even if it is full of mud/snow, and continue to re balance as it gets flung out.
Answer) From what I have seen the beads are also constantly rebalancing as needed and spending an extra $200 when my whole idea is to SAVE money is a bit counter productive.
I would be curious to see what effect these would have on a truck with a known "Death Wobble"? Would the balancer be able to cancel it out???
Answer) This is just an educated guess but I believe only if the tire was the main cause of the wobble and that is rarely the case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.