Pitman Frustration - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Pitman Frustration

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 11-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #16
BigByrd47119
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Amazon has them for .. I think $18? My money is on the box being loose, but if you got spline damage, it is what it is. No need for red loctite, go spend the big money ($4) and get a bottle of blue... have the right tool for the job.
Well we shall see. Is that usually whats wrong?

Id go with a cheaper alternative IF I hadnt already spent the money to order it...

BigByrd47119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #17
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

This is a junkyard part
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #18
BigByrd47119
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetLifted View Post
This is a junkyard part
Seems like a bad idea to me...

I mean, its got 253k and if I just grab a replacement from the jy, whos to say it wont be shot as well? Its not a big deal to take it back but the only way to tell will be to install it and I dont have mounds of time to waste. Its a wear and tear item, which is something I avoid replacing from the jy unless I have to.
Unread 11-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #19
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Wear and tear item? I have never seen a pitman "wear out". It's a solid piece of steel. I've seen steering boxes break, Ive seen frame rails split where the box attaches, I've even seen a 2" drop pitman shear right in half. But I've never seen one go loose or the splines strip out. Sound like it wasn't installed properly?

There are ~200 people in our local XJ forum and 75-100 of us are using junkyard TJ/ZJ/MJ/XJ pitmans (including me).
Unread 11-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #20
BigByrd47119
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetLifted View Post
Wesr and tear item? I have never seen a pitman "wear out". It's a solid piece of steel. I've seen steering boxes break, Ive seen frame rails split where the box attaches, I've even seen a 2" drop pitman shear right in half. But I've never seen one go loose or the splines strip out. Sound like it wasn't installed properly?

There are ~200 people in our local XJ forum and 75-100 of us are using junkyard TJ/ZJ/MJ/XJ pitmans (including me).
I stand corrected!

I can clearly see the shaft spin inside the pitmam a full ⅛-" before the pitman begins moving with the shaft.

The gearbox itself is, by all accounts, in good shape. No leaks (other than a cracked hose a month or so ago), no excessive play in the box itself, and where it mounts to the vehichle is both surprisingly and happily in good shape with no warping or cracking.

I have only had thia jeep about a year at 3k miles and have no idea what the PO may or may not have done with it. For all I know its an original pitman with 253k miles on it. I also know pitman arms are a wear and tear part for most other vehicles so why it wouldnt be on an xj is a mystery to me...
Unread 11-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #21
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Personally: I lifted my jeep 7 inches, added 33s, and built a 1.5 inch wide DOM steel steering setup and plenty of other weight. Its pretty heavy (3900 lbs now). Then added new outer C's from a WJ, welded on a new trackbar bracket, and finished up the steering. When done i noticed my pitman was too low with the new rough country drop one. So i went to the junk hard and took a caked grease OEM 93 ZJ pitman, cleaned it, stuck it on my box and got my angles just right. Been that way for two years and ive had the wheels locked up on the rocks quite a few times. It's a ~20 year old pitman.

Still don't see how it can strip out unless it was installed wrong.
Unread 11-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #22
BigByrd47119
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It very well may hace been installed wrong, but I will never know as the one on there, if it has ever been replaced, was replaced by a previous owner. :-(
Unread 11-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #23
kenC
2000 XJ Cherokee 

maybe for some reason it got loose then over time the movement cause the splines to wear? just a guess ive never had this issue
kenC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #24
billb2011
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you can see the spline turning inside the pitman arm then that has to be the problem. 1/8" to 1/4" of play at the spline translates to a lot more at the steering wheel. I agree that a pitman arm shouldnt wear out, but yours obviously has and I would suspect that it probably was replaced or just removed and then installed wrong at one time. It probably wasnt lined up perfect and they forced it on and over time it has loosened itself more. Good luck with your install and hope that fixes it.
Unread 11-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #25
BigByrd47119
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Part comes in at 8am and we shall see :-)

Thanks for everyones words of advice and encouragment, it goes a long ways!
Unread 11-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #26
YJRoller
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ALL sound advice here.

BUT,, I didn't see any good advice on removing the old one.

DO NOT rely on the puller to "pull it off".

Load the puller a few turns and get your hammer out and ,,,tap-tap-tap it.

A few more turns and tap-tap-tap it.

It WILL come off,, I have seen almost ALL pitman pullers break from just cranking on it to get it to move.

If it doesn't move,,, heat it up,,, burns the loctite off and expands it on the shaft. The cast metal of the pitman SHOULD heat faster than the shaft due to the porosity of the metal it's made of.

GOOD LUCK

1998 TJ ROR lifted and lots of other goodies
1996 2 DOOR 2.5, 5 Speed Cherokee, 6.5" lift rolln on
33"Swampers. Lots of extras
YJRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #27
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I'm with big bill 888. I cannot imagine a pitman arm or its associated shaft wearing at all. It normally takes something like a nuclear warhead to get one off the shaft. I see that you verified there was some play. All the pitman arms I ever piddled with were keyed to go on a shaft one way and the fit is TIGHT. I would guess that somebody put the wrong arm on your steering box.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #28
YJRoller
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
I'm with big bill 888. I cannot imagine a pitman arm or its associated shaft wearing at all. It normally takes something like a nuclear warhead to get one off the shaft. I see that you verified there was some play. All the pitman arms I ever piddled with were keyed to go on a shaft one way and the fit is TIGHT. I would guess that somebody put the wrong arm on your steering box.
================================================== ====

EXACTLY,,, or just FORCED it on,,

1998 TJ ROR lifted and lots of other goodies
1996 2 DOOR 2.5, 5 Speed Cherokee, 6.5" lift rolln on
33"Swampers. Lots of extras
YJRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #29
BigByrd47119
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
I hadnt considered that it may be the wrong arm! Thats n interesying propsition...I wonder if there is any difference between the very earliest models and the 97+? I doubt it, but who knows?

Thanks again for the additional advise, do not attempt to remove soley with puller (may not be a issue with the amount of play?).
Unread 11-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #30
kenC
2000 XJ Cherokee 

he might not need the puller but on every 1 i have done i tighten puller until i have a good bit of tension then hit the pitman arm with a hammer usually it pops.i keep repeating process until its off but i try not to hit pitman arm too hard because im afraid to hurt the box(if reusing)
kenC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.