Pinout Wiring Diagram of 2000 XJ underdash main harness - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Pinout Wiring Diagram of 2000 XJ underdash main harness

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Pinout Wiring Diagram of 2000 XJ underdash main harness

I'm deep into a obd2 4.0 swap from a 2000 cherokee into a CJ. I've only got the drivetrain xj FSM and it doesn't have this. Anybody got a page they could post up that has the pinout/color/function of this main harness under the driver's side dash that runs into the engine compartment. Its basically the equivalent of the bulkhead connector on the older jeeps. I've already weeded out the items I could trace out from my FSM but have many left over that I don't think I'll need. Appreciated. I believe this is labeled the C100 harness.

gosmsphoto1364844854273.jpg  
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I can post pics (two pages) of C100 pinout but it doesn't have the functions for each pin like most pinouts, just the wire colors, wire gauge, and circuit numbers.

Will need to upload the pics to photobucket so let me know if these will be of any help. If not I'll just keep drinking my beer and call it a day.
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hehe thanks, the function is kinda the important part . I can look at the wire colors live
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Unread 04-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah my FSM is the same as CCKen, The pinout shows circuit numbers and you have to find those circuits elsewhere in the wiring diagrams.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnish View Post
Hehe thanks, the function is kinda the important part . I can look at the wire colors live
Curious...

Why are you concerned about the 2000 XJ C100 connector wiring from an XJ when the 2000 4.0 is going in a CJ?
Unread 04-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKen View Post
Curious...

Why are you concerned about the 2000 XJ C100 connector wiring from an XJ when the 2000 4.0 is going in a CJ?
This is the second swap I've done, the first about 6 years ago was with a '93XJ 4.0 into my '88YJ. This is my first obd2 swap.

My strategy has been to keep the underdash wiring stock CJ, strip down the CJ engine-side harness to just what I need (temp sender, blower wire, etc), and strip down the XJ harness attached to the PDC to just the things I need. I'm not using cruise control/AC/lighting out of the XJ harness so I weed that stuff out. On the last swap I did, the '93XJ had a similar bulkhead connector as the '88YJ so that is where I married the two together and was planning to do the same with this swap. The '00 XJ doesn't have a bulkhead connector between the underdash/engine compartment but this C100 seems to be basically the same thing. There are wires that come out of the PDC to the C100 to feed power to XJ under-dash or other items which I do not need.

I've identified every wire at the CJ bulkhead on the engine side. I'm in the process of identifying every wire's purpose at C100 in the XJ harness. I weed out the things I don't need, chop off that C100 connector, and mate up the necessary items out of the XJ harness to the CJ bulkhead connector in the engine compartment.

Unless somebody has put a diagram together manually, its looking like the FSM doesn't present the information in a nice one-stop diagram so I'll continue plodding through.

(edit: as I near the end of this exercise I might see your point, the juicy connections (run/start-run) are in the C1 and C2 connectors rather than C100)
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

C100 does have some wires I used but connector C1 to the ignition switch was the juiciest to get the engine running. The three bottom wires need to be matched to the host vehicle's equivalent. The UU next to entries in the following diagrams means unused - I cut them completely out of the harness.

The only issue I found with my wiring job was there is a white wire in the XJ harness that is supposed to have 12v with ignition power and it didn't have it after all was hooked up. This white wire feeds the backup light switch. Looking at the diagrams again now, I would guess that E9 in C100 was a power feed from inside the XJ out to the harness. I just connected the white wire to an unused CJ power source at the bulkhead and it seems to be working.

I used a relay to trigger F10 in C100 off of the CJ brake pedal switch.

The '00 XJ has no tach feed so I used an MSD 8913 tach driver to power a Crown stock-looking replacement tach and had to switch power to the coil pack from its stock setup which is shared with the fuel injectors to a separate power source from the CJ bulkhead connector. The stock CJ tach doesn't use a traditional feed signal like aftermarket tachs so wouldn't work with the msd unit.

I chopped the obd2 port out from under the XJ dash and re-wired it into the engine compartment of the CJ using the C100 wires.

Its been a couple months but I don't think I ended up using C6 out of C100 because the CJ didn't need as many different 12v feeds as the XJ.
c1_web.jpg   c100a_web.jpg   c100b_web.jpg  
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I used a '91 YJ speed sensor because it has a passthrough for the CJ style speedo cable while also having a 2 wire VSS. I don't have it in front of me but there are diagrams out there which tell you which 2 wires to hook to the 3 wire newer VSS and it seems to work fine.

I used a stock TJ air cleaner with some welded brackets to the passenger fender.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
C100 does have some wires I used but connector C1 to the ignition switch was the juiciest to get the engine running. The three bottom wires need to be matched to the host vehicle's equivalent. The UU next to entries in the following diagrams means unused - I cut them completely out of the harness.

The only issue I found with my wiring job was there is a white wire in the XJ harness that is supposed to have 12v with ignition power and it didn't have it after all was hooked up. This white wire feeds the backup light switch. Looking at the diagrams again now, I would guess that E9 in C100 was a power feed from inside the XJ out to the harness. I just connected the white wire to an unused CJ power source at the bulkhead and it seems to be working.

I used a relay to trigger F10 in C100 off of the CJ brake pedal switch.

The '00 XJ has no tach feed so I used an MSD 8913 tach driver to power a Crown stock-looking replacement tach and had to switch power to the coil pack from its stock setup which is shared with the fuel injectors to a separate power source from the CJ bulkhead connector. The stock CJ tach doesn't use a traditional feed signal like aftermarket tachs so wouldn't work with the msd unit.

I chopped the obd2 port out from under the XJ dash and re-wired it into the engine compartment of the CJ using the C100 wires.

Its been a couple months but I don't think I ended up using C6 out of C100 because the CJ didn't need as many different 12v feeds as the XJ.

Hi varnish ive got all the wires named now, im still not sure which wires i should use can you remember which ones.
i do know the obvious ones like lights and A/C ext but which ones are important

thanks
lbsickboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

From the above pictures, the first pic bottom 3 are critical to run the engine and should map 1:1 with their equivalents in the YJ at the bulkhead - these are the three that will start and run the engine, in the other two pics basically anything without a UU next to it:
d2 - power output to fuel pump - the YJ should have the wiring going back to the tank so you just need to find the port at the bulkhead, at least my '88 YJ 4.2 did, this is because the 4 cyl model that year had fuel injection and all the tubs were wired the same.
c2 - battery output which should hook up to your YJ at the bulkhead to power everything.
f10 - should be sent to ground when brakes are pressed, not critical to run but should help CPU be happier during fast stops.
e3 - power out to backup lights

The rest were the obd2 data port wires which I would recommend hooking up and getting a scanner so you know if it is happy.

The CJ/YJ bulkhead connector splits in two, the right side is all lighting/horn related and can be left completely alone, the left side is where you make your connections.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Unread 08-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
From the above pictures, the first pic bottom 3 are critical to run the engine and should map 1:1 with their equivalents in the YJ at the bulkhead - these are the three that will start and run the engine, in the other two pics basically anything without a UU next to it:
d2 - power output to fuel pump - the YJ should have the wiring going back to the tank so you just need to find the port at the bulkhead, at least my '88 YJ 4.2 did, this is because the 4 cyl model that year had fuel injection and all the tubs were wired the same.
c2 - battery output which should hook up to your YJ at the bulkhead to power everything.
f10 - should be sent to ground when brakes are pressed, not critical to run but should help CPU be happier during fast stops.
e3 - power out to backup lights

The rest were the obd2 data port wires which I would recommend hooking up and getting a scanner so you know if it is happy.

The CJ/YJ bulkhead connector splits in two, the right side is all lighting/horn related and can be left completely alone, the left side is where you make your connections.
OK Thanks for that im getting there slowly i see there are 4x OBD what dose the OBD mean and do actually?

If i understand you right the i need to use these wires yes?

im busy typing this all into the computer so you know where im at when im done would you look at it form me please.

all the info will be done by to night i hope lol
Unread 08-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsickboy View Post
OK Thanks for that im getting there slowly i see there are 4x OBD what dose the OBD mean and do actually?

If i understand you right the i need to use these wires yes?
The obd (on-board diagnostic) port wires are for a code reader so the engine's computer can tell you whether the engine is running correctly or not using error codes. The port is in the donor XJ under the dash under the steering wheel on the left side. It isn't necessary for the engine to run but is absolutely necessary for identifying any problems and a benefit to using a modern engine as it will often tell you exactly why the engine isn't running right. All of the wires that feed that obd port go through c100 so are identified. I transplanted the port into the engine compartment.
capture.jpg

'99 XJ 4dr SE
Unread 08-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #13
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Ah now i get je sorry for bean slow on the catch up,
this is what ive got finished up to now.

Unread 08-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure your overall strategy, but what I did was lay the harness out on a table, unwrap it completely and then cut out everything from the XJ engine harness that I knew I wouldn't need (anything AC/lighting/cruise control etc). This really weeds out a lot of fluff from the harness. I did the same for the CJ or YJ harness which gets rid of practically everything but the temp and oil pressure sending units iirc. The risk of course is that if you cut something out you end up needing it could be a nightmare, I just went super slow and followed every wire and made sure that what the diagram was telling me it was for made sense. The vast majority are between the CPU/engine/tranny and don't need to be touched or spliced to anything in your donor. It literally comes down to just a few actual splices you make at the bulkhead connector for the YJ - the ones I outlined in post #10.

Stuff like the crankshaft position sensor, I'd expect that wire to be between the engine and CPU and other than identifying what it does so you don't touch it, you shouldn't have to do anything with it.

This all assumes you have the complete donor harness.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Unread 08-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
lbsickboy
1986 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you very much, you have bean a great help.

I was thinking about chopping all the wires out that are not needed, as you have mentioned i might cut some wire out that might indeed be needed
so i will go the safe way for now and leave it alone.
theirs an old saying you most probably heard of it,

If its not broken then leave it then alone.

ps one last favour do you see which wires i need now

once again thank you very much,

some one told me i would have to take the yj under-dash wiring all out and begin up new man i wasn't looking forward to that at all.

ill let you know how i get on
File Type: pdf B1 JEEP XJ PINOUT.pdf (105.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: pdf PINOUT CAVITY CIRCUIT.pdf (106.6 KB, 72 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.