Pictures of me rear end.."No smart remarks"..LOL - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Pictures of me rear end.."No smart remarks"..LOL

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
TonyPgh
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Pictures of me rear end.."No smart remarks"..LOL

I don't know Jeeps yet. I know my one rear frame rail toward the front spring connection has slight rott. But the more I looked, its not structual.
But...Do Jeeps seem to ride a little strange? I can't describe it.
The front end needs aligned. But thats fine.
The rear seems to wander around a little.
But may be my imagination?? I dunno.
Is that normal. Its not BAD or out of control at all. But just feels different than my wifes Xterra.
Hers drives straight a true.
I can understand the front wandering around, but the rear? I dunno. I may be just over dramatizing it. Which is possible, or thats how Jeeps feel.
Here's a shot of the rear. DO the bottoms of the wheel/tires look like their tilted IN at the bottom, and OUT at the top?

TonyPgh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Its a little hard to tell from the pics. Do your rear tires look like they are worn funny?

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
TonyPgh
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
Its a little hard to tell from the pics. Do your rear tires look like they are worn funny?
I will double check. But they seem to be wearing even. I am wondering if I am just used to my wifes truck.
Unread 06-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It may be that your used to a better driving machine. Lol

Anyway if you want, check out everything in the rear.
Make sure tire pressure is equal, lug nuts are tight.
Ubolts on the axle are tight
Leaf spring mounts, shackle mounts are tight.
Shocks in working order.
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
TonyPgh
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory4um View Post
It may be that your used to a better driving machine. Lol

Anyway if you want, check out everything in the rear.
Make sure tire pressure is equal, lug nuts are tight.
Ubolts on the axle are tight
Leaf spring mounts, shackle mounts are tight.
Shocks in working order.
Okay, I checked everything out! Everything is tight and good. Although...the shocks look original. They are rusted, and deformed. I bounced the vehicle, and it didn't keep bouncing. But they are oooolllllldddd!! I am concerned about taking the upper bolts off. Hopefully they don't break.
I do think it must be the way it drives. I like my wifes Xterra. But it don't seems as durable to me though...LOL
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #6
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

That passenger tire does look weird... can you take a better picture? Maybe hold a bubble balance against it or dangle a weighted string to see if it is off kilter.
A properly running XJ should NOT "feel" any different than an Xterra driving down the road.
Spend a week or so spraying penetrating fluid on the fasteners for the shocks each day before trying to remove them. Those bolts live for the day they can break on you!
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #7
TonyPgh
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
That passenger tire does look weird... can you take a better picture? Maybe hold a bubble balance against it or dangle a weighted string to see if it is off kilter.
A properly running XJ should NOT "feel" any different than an Xterra driving down the road.
Spend a week or so spraying penetrating fluid on the fasteners for the shocks each day before trying to remove them. Those bolts live for the day they can break on you!
I will grab a photo tomorrow and repost. I know my passenger rear frame rail has some rott. Up towards the front of the rail at the bottom of the rail. The sidesare still solid. So no shift on the frame of springs. But that wheel did look like it was tilted ot on the top slightly.
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
TonyPgh
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Okay, must have been an illusion the way it was sitting in the garage. I took it out on the street to get a better photo. Their straight and true on the back. My bad!
My buddy came over and drove it, since I was complaining. He said its the front end, to check my front end parts, and get it aligned. He said his Wrangler feels that way all the time..LOL
Guess I have to get used to the Jeep. And quit trying to "find" problems that don't exist. And I wasn't drinking any beer either. hmmmmm...

Unread 06-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Don't worry about breaking the shock bolts. It's happens to a lot of us. Here is an easy fix.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/d...repair-556807/
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Let us know if it's better after an alignment...
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #11
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm sure an alignment and new shocks will greatly improve how it handles on the road. My friend's 2000 was a beast to drive when he first got it. The thing wandered all over the road and you could feel every bump. New shocks and an alignment and later on new tires and it is a joy to drive now.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
TonyPgh
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys. I will be doing this over the next few weeks. i probably should have checked my front ends parts anyhow. Stupid me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.