Picture wanted! Renix knock sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Picture wanted! Renix knock sensor

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Picture wanted! Renix knock sensor

I think my knock sensor is broken, but the problem is that I have only found it once. Does anyone have a diagram of where it is, or a picture that shows it? Google has failed me, and I'm starting to feel really dumb about not being able to find it on my block again.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
Ed Rico
1997 XJ Cherokee 

From RockAuto.com:

-Ed Rico
Ed Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I found it again today and took pictures. I'll post them later when I'm on my laptop.

For those that care, the knock sensor is located on the driver side of the block just to the right of the motor mount. Honestly, why have I never seen that documented before?

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Bleed or Quit.
Unread 05-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
Saudade
1988 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...t=knock+sensor
Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Mine is a different style. I plugged the cable back onto the terminals, and since then it has been running a little funny, I'll have to check some schematics and see what I did wrong. Probably backwards.

Quote:
Bleed or Quit.
Unread 05-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
tommyp77
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepishop View Post

Mine is a different style. I plugged the cable back onto the terminals, and since then it has been running a little funny, I'll have to check some schematics and see what I did wrong. Probably backwards.
Now i have a problem where i found this sensor but i cant find the cables or wire thats supposed to plug onto it. Where is the wires originating from? Anyone have pics of that, so i might be able to trace the problem back and see if my wire even exits?
THank you for all the help in advance!
tommyp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

It probably won't affect how it runs anyway if you have a driveability problem. All it does is send a signal, that it generates only when it hears pinging, to the ECU so the ECU will retard the timing a bit.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
4jeepers
1999 WJ 

Junkyard part. Unless they are physically damaged or the wires broken they rarely go bad! From your picture I would say that the molded plug on the sensor is broken off, the plug hanging below the sensor should be the connection to the sensor!
4jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 08:56 AM   #9
Saudade
1988 XJ Cherokee 

What year? The knock sensor was eliminated in '91 and are specific to Renix.
Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
tommyp77
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well thats not my pic, i just used the pic from post above, i dont have a wire hanging there. My jeep is a 94 yj 4.0.
Thank you
The problem is my mil is on and the jeep sputters on acceleration, and its eating a bit too much.
Going to have my mil diagnosed today. It might not even be that. But like Saudade writes, i might not even have it?
Unread 05-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

You don't have it. What is your CEL indicating?
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #12
tommyp77
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well after getting the scan, it indicated 3 things, my alternator, something with the ac compressor(which i know i dont have) and the tps.
I had him clear it cause alternator i changed previous weekend, and i put a relay into the ac slot on fuse panel just so its there(doubt it makes a difference)
On second scan, only the tps came up.
Took $50 for new tps sensor and 5 min to change, and the light went out and jeep runs 10x better!!, No more sputtering on acceleration.
I guess i only have the knock sensor on the block cause its originally from a cherokee, i wasnt sure if the one i droped out months back had one or not.
Guess i had it pegged wrong.
Thank you all!
Unread 05-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #13
dover21
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepishop View Post

I just replaced mine the other day. In your pic yours is broke just like mine. The pics from Rockauto are correct for the new one. Once you disconnect the old one and install the new you'll see that the plugs match up perfectly.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
dover21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.