Passenger window won't go up! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Passenger window won't go up!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 06-09-2005, 11:02 AM   #1
kanadianXJ

Passenger window won't go up!

Yeeeup, my front right passenger window won't go up. I've tried both controls, driverside and passenger side and nothing. Played around with window lock to see if that was the problem, and it doesn't seem to be. Any ideas? When the A/C is on, and I push the button, fan seems to go down a bit, so it would seem it is still getting power...

Thanks.

kanadianXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
sweenepj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

A little more info would help, like is it a 2 door or 4 door? If it's a 4 door, are all 3 passenger windows showing the same problem? And what year is the jeep? A lot of people have had problems with the lockout switch on the newer cherokees, myself included... From what I've gathered, you can replace the switch assembly for $160 or something rediculous like that, or bypass the switch so the other windows are always unlocked.

Also, it could be the window regulator, but that would be more evident (like you still hear motor noise but the window won't go up). The stock regulator is a piece of crap on the newer cherokees. My driver and front passenger regulators both broke, and you can find some more info about that problem on the forums too.

If you need more info about either of those repairs on a newer cherokee let me know because I've done them :-)
sweenepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2005, 02:17 PM   #3
Roodki
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I'd say it's probably the window regulator. To make mine temporarily stay up I pushed it up and clamped the post it slides on with a vice grips.
Unread 06-10-2005, 04:09 PM   #4
XJ-NoDough

My driver door window has this problem if I run it down too far. Open your door and with your finger pushing the button in the up direction, slam the door. Or with your finger on the button, punch the door panel right where the motor is on the inside.
Leather, Loaded[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]4L Selec-trac[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]Automatic[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]3"-4.5"ish Homebrew lift[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]16x8 MB Motoring Rockers[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]265/75R16(31[SIZE="1"]ish[/SIZE]"X10.4") Goodyear Wrangler M/TRs[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]Trimmed w/ Bushwackers[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]Stock 3:55 gears[/B][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[B][COLOR=White]sans big audio[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Homebrew intake w/cone filter[/COLOR][/B]
"Some people are like a slinky... Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs." :my dad
XJ-NoDough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2005, 08:25 PM   #5
nvrdone

my '88 started the same thing a few months ago. Turns out one wire into the motor was loose. Pull the door panel off and have a look. Good luck.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2005, 11:35 PM   #6
ATX XJ

i had both window regs go bad on my '00 and the glass just dropped into the door and wudnt move. cost about 600 to fix, but fortunately i had a warranty so it cost me 50 flat.
Unread 08-08-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
rspi

Simular problem on my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larendo.

My window actually went down and stayed down. The story goes... We pulled into a parking lot, closed the passenger door and watched the window go down all by itself. Drove home with the window down in 100 degree heat and decided to fix it the next day.

The problem was that the upper window track cable pulled through the plastic track guide. This is what I did to fix it, photo instructions: http://www.atthetipwebs.com/technolo...2004jeepgc.htm

Hope this helps.
rspi is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.