Passenger door wont open from inside!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Passenger door wont open from inside!!

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
mahoneyn1994

Passenger door wont open from inside!!

After one of my drunken buddy's yanked my handle hard from the inside, since then no one has been able to let themselves out of their passenger door

mahoneyn1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
KG8893
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoneyn1994 View Post
After one of my drunken buddy's yanked my handle hard from the inside, since then no one has been able to let themselves out of their passenger door
this happened on my dad's old cherokee. You gotta take the door panel off and slip the rod that attaches to the door latch back in. IIRC the handle has it's own separate spring so it won't be floppy.... I don't have a picture unfortunately. it's a childhood memory. haha
Built Not Bought #666
KG8893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Green4dr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

yea just take the door skin off. then the mechanism is very easy to get to
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/98xj-classic-springbreak-makeover-1344754
Green4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Errrr, don't literally do what Green4dr suggests (since the "door skin" refers to the steel, outer portion of the door). You may not even have to take off the (inner!!!) door panel - just remove the inside door handle (three screws) and gently pull it out and see if there is still a rod connected to the handle. If not, see if there's still a plastic thingamajig that lives in the hole the rod goes through - it should have a hole for the rod where it makes a 90 degree turn, and a "guide" to hold it in place just below that. If the plastic bit is broken (most commonly, the "guide" will snap off) then go to the dealer or junkyard and get some more. In a pinch, I've used some silicon tubing (that barely slides over the rod, and then barely fits through the hole in the handle mechanism). Saved me a trip, and let me put my door back together after painting the Jeep. FYI, the same clips are used on the door lock mechanism, so you can see what a good one looks like.

If the rod DOES still connect to your door handle mechanism, it's popped off the other end, and you will have to pull your interior (!) door panel off. It uses the same plastic clip, and is a little fiddly to hook up, but it's a pretty simple system.
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Punch your bud in the face and make him fix it!!!!! Haha just like the other responses pop the panel off and re-attach. Oh yea by the way next time go in his ride and do the same thing to his.
jserna is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.