Passanger Door lock wont catch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Passanger Door lock wont catch

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
cmarshall21
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Passanger Door lock wont catch

When I flip the electrical door lock on either of the front doors I hear the click type noise so you know the bar is moving. And I hear the actuator. But the Passenger door doesnt lock (even if I try to lock it Manuely). Sometimes it will and other times it only barely catches, as if you didnt shut the door tight and then it will open. But more often than not it doesnt catch at all.

I removed the door panel to make sure the actual metal rod waving, and it is. I just dont understand whats preventing it from locking, I dont see anything wrong.

Has anyone had this issue? and How do I fix it? I NEED MY LOCKS

cmarshall21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Clean the locking and latching mechanisms with throttle body cleaner and oil them. If that doesn't fix the problem, replace the mechanisms with junkyard parts.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
cmarshall21
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, thanks Ill give that a try sense im totaly lost, It didnt look to bad so I didnt think it would be needed.
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
cmarshall21
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Didnt, work.

But i did figure out, if the door is open and i manually turn the key as if to lock it, hold it there while i slam the door shut then let go it locks.
So a temporary fix so i dont need to leave it un locked.
Buts till dont know what exactly isnt working right.
Unread 05-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
loztoree
1997 XJ Cherokee 

My front passenger doesn't lock when you press the door lock button or unlock with the button. I can lock it manually though. I might try the cleaning before I replace parts as its just an inconvenience to reach over & lock the door.
Hope you get it fixed.
loztoree is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.