Part time 4x4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Part time 4x4

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-19-2002, 12:49 AM   #1
Lamah

Part time 4x4

I just bought my jeep about 2 days ago (dont even have the plates yet) and notices that 4 wheel high is only part time 4x4 ... is there any way to make that non-part time ? or is the vast majority of true 4 wheelin' done in 4 low ?

i'm pretty new to true offroading, if you havent figured that out already.

thanks,
Jeff aka Lamah

Gone and missed:
1991 Cherokee Laredo
Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2002, 01:20 AM   #2
12345Bill

The only way I can describe it is this way. Part time is the "end user" term for 4wd that shouldn't be used all the time. Part time being not on dry pavement. The Full time 4wd on some Jeeps is for all the time situations. i.e. Foul weather. It seems kind of backwards. But, I suppose that you would be pissed if your wife took the jeep out and said "oh, but it said full time 4wd, so I thought it was ok."
Unread 02-19-2002, 01:41 AM   #3
XJin96style

Well, I have a 96 and it is part time 4x4! Like Bill said its only for conditions that are not dry! Off roading is fine with 4hi you should have no problem! Now if you plan on going through deep thick mud i would go with 4Lo also if you plan on climing Rocks and stuff that would need slow speed and a lot of traction! if you are just cruising down a trail with moderate mud and water then i wouldn't worry about it!

GOOD LUCK

2000 XJ Jeep sport stock
"ITS A JEEP THING, DONT TRY TO FOLLOW YOU MIGHT GET STUCK."
XJin96style is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2002, 12:42 PM   #4
CB89XJ

You have the 231 T-case. Like the others said, only use this on slippy surfaces. The case "locks" the front and rear driveshafts together to turn at the same time, so once in a while a tire needs to slip a little bit to not mess up the case. (That's what I was told anyway). 99% of the offroading I do is done in 4lo. The only thing I would see 4hi being used for is sand. HTH

www.bmja.org
CB89XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2002, 08:43 AM   #5
XJin96style

well, you dont need to use 4lo if you plan on going on a two track! In the middle of the woods! you will use more gas and it puts your car under more stress to do so! 4Lo is for hard climbing and thick crap! I wouln't use it if you plan on driving on two track trails and a little bit of mud/water!

2000 XJ Jeep sport stock
Unread 02-20-2002, 12:37 PM   #6
CB89XJ

Sorry, my bad. I'm used to real offroad trails where we have it in 4lo. Good point about the 2 track trails or whatever, then you could use 4hi, I'm not used to the 231 case.

www.bmja.org
Unread 02-20-2002, 05:22 PM   #7
Lamah

it doesnt feel like it stays engages thought. it feels like when the rear wheels slip it kicks in ... but maybe thats just cause i'm not used to it. theres a light that comes on and says "Part time" so i was assuming that meant the same as the modern ones which kick in when traction breaks in the rear, otherwise it'd say "4x4". *shrug*

also i noticed 4lo says part time too.

thanks,
Jeff aka Lamah

Gone and missed:
1991 Cherokee Laredo
Unread 02-20-2002, 05:49 PM   #8
Lamah

heh ... ok !#% i got it

part time means you cant use it on dry pavement ... full time has a differential in the transfer case, so it can be left on. i'm clear now. heh

sorry... i was confused.

Gone and missed:
1991 Cherokee Laredo
Unread 02-20-2002, 05:56 PM   #9
glb

I know what you mean. I was always aware that there were different 4x4 schemes, and knew that traditional 4x4 is not for pavement, but for a while I figured "part-time" meant that the t-case had some smarts and would engage only "part of the time" as req'd, where as "full-time" meant the tcase was locked into 4wd. It's a matter of convention and jargon.
glb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2002, 06:03 PM   #10
glb

Oh yeah, and the Honda CRV has "real-time" 4wd, which I guess means that it operates in real time. Cool, I guess I have real-time part time 4wd, real-time full time 4wd, and my girlfriend's car has real-time FWD...

I think I'll go eat a real-time sandwich..
Unread 02-20-2002, 08:48 PM   #11
XJin96style

HONDAS SUCK!!!! HAHA I just felt like saying that.. They are not real OFFROAD SUVS! Jeeps are the true offroad machine.

I wasn't saying anything against you CB89XJ, I was saying you dont need to use 4LO on two tracks and light mud or water!

2000 XJ Jeep sport stock
Unread 02-20-2002, 09:54 PM   #12
glb

Too bad they don't make a real 4x4. I had an 84 ATC growing up, and it is still going. Now that thing could go off-road.
Unread 02-20-2002, 10:10 PM   #13
CB89XJ

Quote:
I wasn't saying anything against you CB89XJ, I was saying you dont need to use 4LO on two tracks and light mud or water!
It's cool man, I honestly totally forgot. I love cruising fire roads and stuff like that, too. I just got done offroading for the weekend when I posted that, so I'm not totally out of the frame of mind yet.

www.bmja.org
Unread 02-21-2002, 12:42 PM   #14
XJin96style

Quote:
Originally posted by CB89XJ
It's cool man, I honestly totally forgot. I love cruising fire roads and stuff like that, too. I just got done offroading for the weekend when I posted that, so I'm not totally out of the frame of mind yet
Its all good man, but to GLB i still think HONDAS SUCK!!

2000 XJ Jeep sport stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.