Part/Full Time 4x4 Problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Part/Full Time 4x4 Problem?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 11-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
sixty7ss
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Part/Full Time 4x4 Problem?

I just bought a 2000 XJ and, being the numbskull that I am, I took the guy's word for it and didn't test the 4 wheel drive before I bought it. It seems to be working, but whether it's in 4-HIGH or 4-LOW, the instrument panel always says Part Time. Shouldn't it switch to Full Time when I shift into 4-LOW? Any ideas, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

Dave

sixty7ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

probably a wiring issue. There should be 3 wires running from the center connector on the Transfer case. Check if it is unplugged, damaged. If there is a hookup that doesn't fit, then it was probably swapped in for the 231. Good thing is that there is a cable jumper that can be purchased to plug into the harness to convert it.

I swapped out my Full time case for a part time case. Now all I need is a jumper to get the lights to work.

The lights do nothing for the functionality of the case. It is all mechanical anyways. Not really much to worry about.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty7ss View Post
I just bought a 2000 XJ and, being the numbskull that I am, I took the guy's word for it and didn't test the 4 wheel drive before I bought it. It seems to be working, but whether it's in 4-HIGH or 4-LOW, the instrument panel always says Part Time. Shouldn't it switch to Full Time when I shift into 4-LOW? Any ideas, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

Dave
You're confused. It would never be full-time in 4Low. Part time 4wd means you can only use it part of the time, like when the road surface is slippery enough . Full time was a selection only available in the NP242 transfer case which allowed you to drive on hard dry surfaces all the time. I suspect you have a NP231 transfer case. What does it say on the driver's visor?
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
You're confused. It would never be full-time in 4Low. Part time 4wd means you can only use it part of the time, like when the road surface is slippery enough . Full time was a selection only available in the NP242 transfer case which allowed you to drive on hard dry surfaces all the time. I suspect you have a NP231 transfer case. What does it say on the driver's visor?
Exactly. I have the 242, which has the full time option. Check your tcase shifter and see if it goes 2, 4hi, 4full, n, 4lo. Full time light will only come on if you are in 4full.
Unread 11-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
sskinner
1998 XJ Cherokee 

it will only show fulltime when in hi4 4 low is part time. its should say the above the DS visor.
sskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going to ditto the above statements with the added statement that you wouldn't be the first person to misunderstand Jeeps use of the terms "full time" and "part time". I had a friend who had a Jeep for quite a while. He had a NP231 and when I got mine, he tried to convince me that "full time" was where I wanted to be on hill climbs, and wheelin' and "part time" was where i wanted to be when on the road during snowy days.

Luckily, Jeepforum had already convinced me of the opposite, I'm just using this as an example of how your question is fully warranted and I dare say, anybody who's not used to Jeeps labeling could be confused.
Trons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Mental note. The 4wd modes are "when" you can use that mode.
Unread 11-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
sixty7ss
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for all the replies. I am now completely, 100% confused. Here's what I know...

* My shifter has 3 positions: 2WD, 4HI, and 4LO
* When in 4HI or 4LO, the instrument panel reads Part Time.
* The Full Time light never lights up, regardless of which gear I'm in.

What SHOULD happen? When SHOULD the Full Time light come on?

Forgive my ignorance. I'm new to Jeeps in general.

Dave
Unread 11-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #9
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. I am now completely, 100% confused. Here's what I know...

Dave
Yours is working as it was designed to.
Your shifter would have two 4HI positions if it came with the full time/part time case (NV242). which it sounds like it does NOT have.
Without that case the full time light will not come on.
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:

Dave
You have a 231 transfer case, also called command track. Your full time light should never come on, because you do not have a full time transfer case.

As already stated, the NP231 transfer case (which you have) is a part-time case, which means you should NEVER use your 4 wheel drive on dry - or even wet roads. Only ice/snow/mud/ slippery stuff like that. If you go wheeling, you can use the 4hi/4lo as needed.

In Jeep terminology, 4 full time means you can use that 4 wheel drive mode all day, anywhere, everywhere. Full time transfer cases have a "center diff" that allows different wheel speeds between front and rear axles. This makes turning easier, and also won't cause the drivetrain to bind.

Part time four wheel drive means the front and rear axles are 100% locked together inside the transfer case, thus not allowing for wheel speed differences between front/rear. On dry surface, this causes a lot of strain on the drivetrain. If you use part time 4wd on ie. dry roads at highway speeds, you might crack the transfer case or damage your axles.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 04:39 AM   #11
hdsport
2008 WK 

Quote:

Dave
From what I've read, your dash light is working as designed.
In 2WD...no light
in 4WD Hi...Part Time Light
In 4WD lo...Part Time Light

= switch is OK, Plug is OK (not corroded), Wiring is OK, Dash light is OK.

Enjoy...............
hdsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 04:48 AM   #12
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Do you have the sticker on the driver side visor describing the 4wd modes?

Anyway, everything is normal. Perhaps picking up an owners manual for your Jeep would be a good idea.
Unread 11-22-2010, 07:26 AM   #13
justanotherjpr

Quote:

Dave

You should not have the 'Full Time' light come on unless you have a 'Full Time' position on your transfer case.

Under no circumstances should you use 4HI or 4LO on a dry, hard roadway (Like pavement, gravel is OK) - and that is what the Part Time is meant to indicate - that you can use this position part of the time. Full Time is meant to indicate that you may use this position any time, including on bare pavement. This was an option for Cherokees but yours does not have this position - you still have the spot on the gauge cluster because they put the light on all the clusters to save on production costs.

Edit: The difference in 4HI and 4LO is gear reduction. 4LO is for slow speed if things are very muddy or snowy, a very steep, slow hill climb, or maybe pulling free a stuck vehicle. Typically, if you intend to exceed 15mph, 4HI is the best choice. Basically, you have three gears lower than your first gear which are available to you by placing the transfer case in 4LO.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #14
mx2times
2000 XJ Cherokee 

This exact thing confused me for days as well. Thanks to everyone here I now finally get it
mx2times is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 12:30 AM   #15
sixty7ss
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you to everyone that responded. I really appreciate you guys clearing that up for me. This forum is great! Thanks again for the help.

Dave

Tags
4x4 , full time , instrument panel , Part time 4 wheel drive

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.