Parking shake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Parking shake

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-02-2005, 12:44 PM   #1
Schmuckingham

Parking shake

Ive got a stock 85 XJ 4x4 and i recently did a break job of both front rotors and pads( while i was changing the two front axle u joints that were busted and also put new hubs on it cause they were pretty banged up from trying to get them off). After the change the brakes seem real squishy and almost non existent. I think i have a slightly hung up caliper cause on the highway if you go to stop it will try and pull right, unless its the MC.

Also if your turning left into a parking spot and hit the breaks ever so slightly they whole front end of the Jeep shudders and feels like my break are binding up.

Any suggestions on what it might be?

1997 Honda Accord LX-T-300WHP/315FT/LBS
1985 XJ-Reliable Greatness
1991 Eagle Talon TSI-SOLD
Schmuckingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2005, 02:36 PM   #2
meat12

If I were you, and if you are planning on keeping it for a while, well regardless for safety reasons, I would replace the calipers. They are relativly inexpensive and will most likely solve your problem. The same situation happened with mine, a seal or something got ruined in the piston when I pressed it back to get it on the rotor.

Replace calipers and bleed the lines thoroughly.

Rember: If they dont find you handsome, at least they will find you handy!
meat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2005, 03:14 PM   #3
Friar_Nurgle

Grab some new hoses to go with those new calipers while your at it...

...but if you're cheap and broke like some/most of the people here, try lubing the caliper slide pins (or whatever they are called) and bleeding what you have first and see if that helps.

Good luck
6x9 sound bar speaker mod[/FONT]
Friar_Nurgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2005, 03:22 PM   #4
Schmuckingham

Ill probably will get new calipers here in the soon near future but i cant help but think its the damn MC. Cause the pedal is acting real weird. Like right after i did the brakes you could go to stop and the pedal would go all the way to the floor and my brake light would pop on. Then after you starting going again either the light would go off or you would pump the brakes and they would get better eventually.

Freakin weird

Unread 08-02-2005, 03:58 PM   #5
meat12

If you pushed the pedal to the floor when you blead the breaks, you may have damaged some of the seals in the master cylinder. They get brittle and wear, and when you put the pedal down they can disinigrate. That may be your problem. However that still does not explain the pulling to one side when breaking, it just explains the poor pedal feel. I would still replace the calipers, since all of the other stuff is new. If replacing the calipers and rebleading the brakes does not fix the problem, then you know it is the master cylinder.

To others that read this, if I am incorrect in my thinking please correct me.

Rember: If they dont find you handsome, at least they will find you handy!
meat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2005, 04:54 PM   #6
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I totally agree. The MC shouldn't cause a difference in the pressure to either side, just the squishy feeling. The brake hoses can definitely make the car pull to one side. Like he said, you can damage the seals in the MC when you bleed the breaks. I usually put a brick or 2x4 under the pedal so it doesn't bottom out. When I changed the brake lines for my lift, I just cracked open the bleeders and let 'em run until the air was out. Takes a little longer, but still works. Sounds like you may end up replacing most of the brake components, but thank god for the aftermarket parts stores. You can't beat their prices.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2005, 07:51 PM   #7
Schmuckingham

Yea gravity bleeding is the way to go, but it does take time. im just gonna replace the whole front system for now. calipers, lines, and MC.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.