Parking fogs- stupid idea?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Parking fogs- stupid idea??

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #16
bud01234
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
Sorry, you posted a question AND replied to responses.
You lost you "lazy" cred...
Well, I'm not THAT lazy!

bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #17
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Buy a set of Hella 500 driving lights and put them on the front bumper.
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud01234 View Post
so far, nobody thinks the idea is absolutely idiotic.
I do.

...but I also think everybody is allowed to have an crazy idea once in a while. That dumb a$$ Thomas Edison was nuts, you know. Everybody thought he was an idiot. Light in a jar? What a moron!!
Unread 11-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #19
bud01234
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise XJ View Post
I do.

...but I also think everybody is allowed to have an crazy idea once in a while. That dumb a$$ Thomas Edison was nuts, you know. Everybody thought he was an idiot. Light in a jar? What a moron!!
Lol, I think that's the first time I've ever been recognized as an idiot but compared to thomas edison.

Thanks! (I think)
Unread 11-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #20
bud01234
1985 XJ Cherokee 

ok, here's what my google research has come up with:

Advertised as the brightest fog lights on the road (same as cops have on their light bars)...
5W X 400 Lumens LED lights in a pair for $69.99

According to listed size (6.3" X 2.1" X 1.2") they should fit perfectly in the parking light holders and can plug directly into the parking light wire. That way, no flashing but the side/front markers will still flash.

If nobody has any deal breaker information, I think I'll go ahead and order them and document the install and results.
Here's the link to the fog lights:
http://http://www.hidxenonlights.com/universal-fog-lights-c-671/5w-ultra-led-fog-lights-p-535
Unread 11-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #21
squirlgod
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would just do as many others have suggested: go with lights that are designed to be put on cars for the purpose your looking for instead of making your own design for more money, more work, and potentially lacking light performance...

I would drill a hole in the bumper and throw in one of these kits: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...seller=&sr=8-2

but to each his own I suppose...I'd like to see the results.
Unread 11-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #22
bud01234
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirlgod View Post
I would just do as many others have suggested: go with lights that are designed to be put on cars for the purpose your looking for instead of making your own design for more money, more work, and potentially lacking light performance...

I would drill a hole in the bumper and throw in one of these kits: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...seller=&sr=8-2

but to each his own I suppose...I'd like to see the results.
I see your point, but remember my goal is simplicity.

If I use the existing (basically useless) parking light holders, then i simply replace the amber bulbs with the brightest fog LED's on the market. End result; running additional wiring, drilling of mounts, and hooking up dash switches not required... with, I hope, much less total work and time required.

At least, that's the plan.

I'm going ahead with the project and will show the results so then I can proudly strut around with thumbs in suspenders. (or slink quietly away, which may be more likely)
Unread 11-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #23
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

What you're proposing is MORE work (to do "right") than just getting some factory lamps for the stock location on your bumper and wiring them in. It may also may not be illegal to eliminate your forward-facing signal lamps, but I'm pretty sure that running a second set of poorly-focused driving lights there would be. The corner signals may TECHNICALLY be forward-facing enough to be legal as your only signals, but I certainly wouldn't trust them to be safely visible to on-comers especially in daylight all on their own. It would definitely be unsafe for oncoming drivers, and it would be unsafe for your lens and housing to due to the heat that would be generated. The wiring will be insufficient for providing the necessary wattage a driving light would demand, and the poor focus and aim of the light will put little to none of it where you really need it--down the road.

If you want fog lights, do some real research into what fog lights are for and why they're designed the way they are. I almost guarantee you'll stop caring about fog lights after that. If you want off road driving lights, there are any number of options including the stock "fog" lights that can be mounted to your bumper in front of the grill, and they're all better and as much or even less work than what you propose. If you want better safe on-road street-legal light, upgrade your stock headlights to European code H4 housings with a proper wiring harness with relays as is outlined a half-billion times here and elsewhere on the web.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #24
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I see your point, but remember my goal is simplicity.
If simplicity is your goal...you're missing the point...and the goal. Look around at other rigs...not just Jeeps. They ALL have aftermarket lights bolted to something...now that is simple.
Unread 11-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #25
bud01234
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
What you're proposing is MORE work (to do "right") than just getting some factory lamps for the stock location on your bumper and wiring them in. It may also may not be illegal to eliminate your forward-facing signal lamps, but I'm pretty sure that running a second set of poorly-focused driving lights there would be. The corner signals may TECHNICALLY be forward-facing enough to be legal as your only signals, but I certainly wouldn't trust them to be safely visible to on-comers especially in daylight all on their own. It would definitely be unsafe for oncoming drivers, and it would be unsafe for your lens and housing to due to the heat that would be generated. The wiring will be insufficient for providing the necessary wattage a driving light would demand, and the poor focus and aim of the light will put little to none of it where you really need it--down the road.

If you want fog lights, do some real research into what fog lights are for and why they're designed the way they are. I almost guarantee you'll stop caring about fog lights after that. If you want off road driving lights, there are any number of options including the stock "fog" lights that can be mounted to your bumper in front of the grill, and they're all better and as much or even less work than what you propose. If you want better safe on-road street-legal light, upgrade your stock headlights to European code H4 housings with a proper wiring harness with relays as is outlined a half-billion times here and elsewhere on the web.
Thanks for the advice but I have had some experience with LED's used for driving lights and in fact they require far less 'wattage' than standard fogs or even headlights, generate allmost no heat, and these come with mounting brackets that I plan on using inside the parking light housings. It 'should' be simple to aim them low and slightly right.

If the corner signals turn out to be insufficient on their own, then by hooking up the orange wire to the LED's, I can then have flashing white lights and the corner markers. LED's, for all practical purposes, do not wear out and are designed for strobe light applications.

Hopefully all this will work out but if not i'm still going to document how everything came together and what the results are. I've ordered the lights and they should be here in a couple of days.

If this doesn't work, I may have the best lit segway in the country. (I ride it to work on days and nights when it's not raining or snowing).

I'm thinking about starting a poll to see who thinks this will work and who thinks it won't work worth a crap. (not sure which way i'm going to vote).
Unread 11-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #26
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Whilst its always fun to do something different than the norm ... You're going to end up in more strife than flash gordon with your plan.

If you need fog lights ... then just buy a set and bolt 'em under the bumper ... or maybe do some fabbing and fit them in the bumper as a "personal" touch.

If you want driving lights ... then buy either - spread beam or long range spots ... as suits your needs - and bolt 'em on top of the bumper.

Also .... E-Code headlight lenses and a decent wiring harness will probably give you better, more useable, forward lighting - than a set of fogs.

Wiring in fogs or driving lights or a new headlight harness ... is a lot less painful than messing with, and overloading the under spec wiring on an XJ.
Carves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #27
bud01234
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise XJ View Post
If simplicity is your goal...you're missing the point...and the goal. Look around at other rigs...not just Jeeps. They ALL have aftermarket lights bolted to something...now that is simple.
I would agree IF you were talking about a jeep with existing fogs or at least prewired with switches for fogs.

If not, then you're drilling holes, installing and aiming mounts, hooking up and running wires thru the firewall, drilling a hole in the dash and mounting switch.

I'm only mounting LED's inside existing parking light fixtures, hooking on to existing factory wires and then aiming the lights

If i'm missing something here, please let me know.
Then I could understand why some* think the idea is idiotic.

*well, most
Unread 11-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #28
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I would agree IF you were talking about a jeep with existing fogs or at least prewired with switches for fogs.

If not, then you're drilling holes, installing and aiming mounts, hooking up and running wires thru the firewall, drilling a hole in the dash and mounting switch.

I'm only mounting LED's inside existing parking light fixtures, hooking on to existing factory wires and then aiming the lights

If i'm missing something here, please let me know.
Then I could understand why some* think the idea is idiotic.

*well, most
Well, the holes are already on your bumper. They're capped, but they're there. I'm not sure if the wiring harness is in place or not on an XJ not originally equipped with fogs, but the location for the original fog switch or any other is there and only needs to be quickly opened-up. Be honest with yourself and others. This not about simplicity. It's not about laziness. There are simpler and easier things that can be done. This is about you wanting to do exactly what you're proposing and wanting others to see you do it; I don't know why, and I don't care. Not only is there work involved in what you're proposing, but putting this show on for us is also work that a "lazy" person wouldn't be bothering with.

Again, you can make your new lights flash, but I still doubt they will be legal. That housing isn't meant to focus light very well even when it's just from a tiny filament. If you're going to use LED's, there will be multiple points of origin that will make the focus even messier. It's also not adjustable, so you can't aim them. The lenses and reflector are designed to spread the light everywhere so that the light of the signal can be seen from everywhere by other drivers. I'm not sure how legal it is to be driving around with a second set of lights like that.

Additionally you may have to find a way to make them turn off when you use your high beams. If you've ever seen any 4-lamp headlight setup or even pay close attention to what the filaments do in a 2-lamp setup, the other lights turn off when the highs go on. I'm not sure if that's mandated by law or what, but if it wasn't I doubt they'd be working that way.

Beyond all that, if you make them flash I have to wonder if it's even legal to have such bright lights being flashers. I'm unconvinced that you're allowed to use white light as a signal anymore, and at that kind of brightness it may be distracting/unsafe for others or possibly even illegal from the perspective of not being allowed to impersonate a law enforcement vehicle by having strobing lights.

You obviously have your mind made-up, but you asked for opinions. If you really want to have a 2nd set of headlights, two ideas come to mind. You could swap in the front end of a XJ Wagoneer; boom--done. If you really want to customize the existing design and use the signal space, I'd gut the entire signal lamp and housing and try to find a true, proper head/driving light to fit into that location and mount it in a bracket that would allow it to be aimed. If they're somehow focused well enough to be used as headlights, you could use them as your high beams, as supplementary driving lights, or maybe even as the low beams and turn the original lights into high beams only. I would also get some amber lights like a little LED guy or something and wire it to the old signal wiring mounted just inside the grill or maybe just under the bumper.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 03:27 AM   #29
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
ok, here's what my google research has come up with:

Advertised as the brightest fog lights on the road (same as cops have on their light bars)...
5W X 400 Lumens LED lights in a pair for $69.99

According to listed size (6.3" X 2.1" X 1.2") they should fit perfectly in the parking light holders and can plug directly into the parking light wire. That way, no flashing but the side/front markers will still flash.

If nobody has any deal breaker information, I think I'll go ahead and order them and document the install and results.
Here's the link to the fog lights:
http://http://www.hidxenonlights.com/universal-fog-lights-c-671/5w-ultra-led-fog-lights-p-535
Not terribly impressed by their LAUNDRY ROOM exhibit of the brightness of the lamps
And as everyone else has pointed out, fog lamps need to be low with an unobstructed path to the ground. Not up above, and blocked by, the bumper...
And these look smaller than the existing housing, so you will have gaps.
IF I were set on using these as fogs, I would mount them under the bumper where they might do some good. Their small size would help them survive off-roading sessions.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #30
bud01234
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Well, the holes are already on your bumper. They're capped, but they're there. I'm not sure if the wiring harness is in place or not on an XJ not originally equipped with fogs, but the location for the original fog switch or any other is there and only needs to be quickly opened-up. Be honest with yourself and others. This not about simplicity. It's not about laziness. There are simpler and easier things that can be done. This is about you wanting to do exactly what you're proposing and wanting others to see you do it; I don't know why, and I don't care. Not only is there work involved in what you're proposing, but putting this show on for us is also work that a "lazy" person wouldn't be bothering with.

Again, you can make your new lights flash, but I still doubt they will be legal. That housing isn't meant to focus light very well even when it's just from a tiny filament. If you're going to use LED's, there will be multiple points of origin that will make the focus even messier. It's also not adjustable, so you can't aim them. The lenses and reflector are designed to spread the light everywhere so that the light of the signal can be seen from everywhere by other drivers. I'm not sure how legal it is to be driving around with a second set of lights like that.

Additionally you may have to find a way to make them turn off when you use your high beams. If you've ever seen any 4-lamp headlight setup or even pay close attention to what the filaments do in a 2-lamp setup, the other lights turn off when the highs go on. I'm not sure if that's mandated by law or what, but if it wasn't I doubt they'd be working that way.

Beyond all that, if you make them flash I have to wonder if it's even legal to have such bright lights being flashers. I'm unconvinced that you're allowed to use white light as a signal anymore, and at that kind of brightness it may be distracting/unsafe for others or possibly even illegal from the perspective of not being allowed to impersonate a law enforcement vehicle by having strobing lights.

You obviously have your mind made-up, but you asked for opinions. If you really want to have a 2nd set of headlights, two ideas come to mind. You could swap in the front end of a XJ Wagoneer; boom--done. If you really want to customize the existing design and use the signal space, I'd gut the entire signal lamp and housing and try to find a true, proper head/driving light to fit into that location and mount it in a bracket that would allow it to be aimed. If they're somehow focused well enough to be used as headlights, you could use them as your high beams, as supplementary driving lights, or maybe even as the low beams and turn the original lights into high beams only. I would also get some amber lights like a little LED guy or something and wire it to the old signal wiring mounted just inside the grill or maybe just under the bumper.
I agree that I asked for opinions. I think I can safely add yours to the NO column.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.