Parking fogs- stupid idea?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Parking fogs- stupid idea??

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
bud01234
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Parking fogs- stupid idea??

Ok, i'm a newbie so I'm allowed one stoopid question-

I need more light for my 95 XJ country, so am considering fog lights but the thought occured to me... wonder if it would be possible to convert the parking lights to fog lights?? Who uses parking lights any more and if I use fog turn signals they will really be noticable. lol

(maybe just switching bulbs if I got really lucky; if not find some rectangular fogs that would fit in the cavity where the current parking lights are.

If this worked, then no mounting on bumper or roof; use existing wiring so the fogs would come on when you turn the lights on and I can save my reputation for being LAZY.

Ok, so that's my idea for parking fogs. You may now proceed to shoot holes in the idea.

parkingtofogs.jpg  
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Cops might not like it to much,the heat generated by the fog bulbs may also cause the parking light lenses to crack.
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

During the day, those are your turn signals. At least thats how it works on my 96.
Unread 11-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
DullesJeep
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe not a stupid idea. But it would be kind of a pita to do. Here's what I could see working however. If you were to swap fog lights into the parking lamp assembly location, you would want some with clear fog lamp lens protectors. Using a yellow/orange paint to help darken down the fog lights, you could slip these over the lights for daily use as turn signals. To use the fog lamps, you'd just go take the lens covers off and have full strength fog lamps.

Regardless, I don't advise doing this even if you could make a workable option. Fog lights work better the lower they are on your vehicle, and having them in the position of the parking lamps vs being low slung on the bumper would probably make for a noticeable difference depending on how dense a fog you were actually using them in.
Unread 11-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
Whizzerbike
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would just grab a fog light wiring harness from the junkyard. Take they parking light one out. Wire it up to a switch on the inside dash and there you go.

I dont think it would be a good idea since those are you turn signal lights. No one will no you are turning unless you wire them up to your turn signal.. Then you will blind people with flashing bright lights lol
Unread 11-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
Whizzerbike
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you really wanted fog lights just go get some from the junkyard and drill a hole on the top of your bumper and boom!
Unread 11-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just drilled four holes in the bumper and mounted two fogs and two driving lights from WallyWorld. It made a difference in the Tulie fog we get here in the valley.
Unread 11-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I just drilled four holes in the bumper and mounted two fogs and two driving lights from WallyWorld....
There you go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DullesJeep View Post
Maybe not a stupid idea...
Yes...the other idea is a stupid idea. You want MORE lights.

Seriously though, go with this idea for $25 (you could also spend up to $150+ for super duper cool lights)
Unread 11-25-2012, 05:01 AM   #9
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud01234 View Post
I need more light for my 95 XJ country, so am considering fog lights
Why on earth would you want absolutely USELESS foglights, if you want more light in the front? Fog lights give you very wide, low and short light pattern, designed to break through the fog and not cause glare due to the light reflected from the fog. Having more light output at the very front of the vehicle also causes your eyes to more or less automatically focus in that area, making it much harder to see further down the road. Fog lights only help in fog, in pretty much any other weather (except for very heavy snowfall or rain) they only reduce your field of vision.

If you want more light output that actually helps you to see further, get high quality driving lights. They will give you the light pattern you need, slightly wider close to the front of the vehicle and a long, narrow beam further ahead. That way you actually see something on dark backroads

edit: As far as replacing your parking lights/ flashers, no. That space is so small that there are only a few (very expensive) driving lights that give you truly improved light output and good pattern. Get a pair of Cibie, Hella or some other known quality driving lights, bolt 'em onto your front bumper and use a quality wiring harness. That'll give you the result you're looking after.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
bud01234
1985 XJ Cherokee 

thanks everybody for all the feedback.

thankfully, so far, nobody thinks the idea is absolutely idiotic. Most of the negatives seem to be because of the turn signals blinding somebody followed by the location being too high for fog lights.

I'm not really interested in fog lights as such; I just want more light so being located higher is exactly what i want and they will not be aimed for distance but will be aimed slightly down and out to give me more light close in but not annoy oncoming traffic.

As far as the turn signals, I'll simply have flashing white turn signals instead of amber colored ones. (For you older heepers you probably remember ALL turn and parking lights used to be white).

Remember, the main goal is more lights as easily as possible. (remember, I'm LAZY!).

Any more input- positive or negative- is welcome and appreciated.
Unread 11-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
heepsterxj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Most of the negatives seem to be because of the turn signals blinding somebody followed by the location being too high for fog lights.

As far as the turn signals, I'll simply have flashing white turn signals instead of amber colored ones. (For you older heepers you probably remember ALL turn and parking lights used to be white).

Remember, the main goal is more lights as easily as possible. (remember, I'm LAZY!).

Its not that the location is really too high, but too small. Those driving/fog bulbs will generate FAR more heat than turn signal bulbs. They're also not designed to be turned on/off in rapid succession (such as being used as a blinker) and would burn out quicker if I had to guess due to the heat and abuse on the bulbs being in the turn signal spot.

Lazy? Wiring in new driving lights could be done in less than 30 minutes. I never knew how to wire in anything and the first time I did it (on a saab, no less) It was about 40 minutes to get it all up and running. On my jeep it took about 25 min cause its so easy to mount everything and feed wires through.

Also, the original wiring in jeeps wasn't that great. So putting a fog/driving bulb where blinkers used to be....probably won't last long anyways.
heepsterxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I think it's pretty idiotic. And illegal. And useless compared to mounting whatever bigass lights you want on the bumper.
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
[snip]

Sorry, you posted a question AND replied to responses.
You lost you "lazy" cred...
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #14
bud01234
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heepsterxj View Post
Its not that the location is really too high, but too small. Those driving/fog bulbs will generate FAR more heat than turn signal bulbs. They're also not designed to be turned on/off in rapid succession (such as being used as a blinker) and would burn out quicker if I had to guess due to the heat and abuse on the bulbs being in the turn signal spot.

Lazy? Wiring in new driving lights could be done in less than 30 minutes. I never knew how to wire in anything and the first time I did it (on a saab, no less) It was about 40 minutes to get it all up and running. On my jeep it took about 25 min cause its so easy to mount everything and feed wires through.

Also, the original wiring in jeeps wasn't that great. So putting a fog/driving bulb where blinkers used to be....probably won't last long anyways.
All good points except the part about wiring being easy. I'm not only laze but a mechanical moron. Last time I tried to wire in a radio, made all my pathetic soldering joints then realized I'd forgot to put the heat shrink on first. Ended up using black tape anyway.

I'm going to check out the posibility of just replacing just the turn signalbulbs with fog light bulbs or maybe even LED's. (I see a lot of big trucks with LED's now). They don't get hot and are very good at flashing. Google here I come.

If that doesn't work, then I probably make a trip to the JY and hire a mechanic to hook them up. (I work at a Honda dealership).

Thanks again for the good feedback.
Unread 11-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #15
bud01234
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetLifted View Post
I think it's pretty idiotic. And illegal. And useless compared to mounting whatever bigass lights you want on the bumper.
Surely you mispelled inventative and it came out idiotic ?
Just kidding, I asked for all opinions.

As for illegal, it's perfectly legal (I checked). If you notice on the picture, I still have forward facing flashing amber markers next to the parking lights. I could just disable the flashing circuit to the parking lights if it makes the lights wear out faster but it's NOT ilegal to have flashing white turn signals in Ky.

Now I'm off to google to see what will fit in the parking light mounts or sockets.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.