Parking Brake? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Parking Brake?

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 08-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
Duck Vader
Yep...

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Parking Brake?

So the other day I go to apply my parking brake on a hill and the button and spring pop off.

Using pliers I was able to disengage it, but then the metal rod that runs the lenght of the plastic tubing fell out.

My question is do I have to take apart my center console to get to the area I need to fix? I mean, if I take out the tray in the center console, can I get to the area where I can fix it?

Understand?

Unread 08-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
Duck Vader
Yep...

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Anyone?
Unread 08-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
NC_XJ+YJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

The exact same thing happened to my XJ. At first, I tried to use superglue, but the it was no match for the spring pressure, and the button popped off again and hit the windshield .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeJay
the metal rod that runs the lenght of the plastic tubing fell out.
In mine, the metal rod was still in the brake lever, but it sort of fell back into the lever so you can only pull on it with needlenose pliers. I'm assuming that's what happened to yours.

It makes it a lot easier to fix if you take the console out. When I took my console out, there was a rectangular hole near the base of the lever on the driver's side (at least it's that way on mine). You should be able to see the metal rod through that hole. I used a screwdriver to hold that rod up while I glued the button back on with gel-type superglue.
Here's a tip for the glue. Put a tiny amount of glue in the button cap and let it dry partially so that it makes the hole a little smaller. Then, just before you're ready to put it back on, add some more glue. The dried part will help hold the button on the threaded rod so that the spring doesn't pop it off again while the other glue is drying.

Let me know if you need any advice on getting the console out.
Cheers
Unread 08-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
Duck Vader
Yep...

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks mate, for awhile there I thought no one was going to answer me. I will try that sometime this week.
Unread 08-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #5
NC_XJ+YJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

No problem. I set up instant notification for new posts this thread, so just post again if you need any more help.
Good luck.
Unread 08-08-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The best type of glue to use for this application is an epoxy-type adhesive. Many guys over on JU have used this sucessfully to solve this exact problem.

Used tape to hold the button on while the epoxy cures overnight.
2000 XJ 3" lift -- Australian Ford Big Brakes up front, rock rails, ZJ rear discs (with WORKING parking brake), C4x4 rear bumper/tire carrier, Hella H4 headlights, IPF driving lights, OEM skid plates, OME springs/shocks, JKS LCA's, JKS Sway Bar links.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
jbahr

This has happened to me and what I did was use an electrical wire nut and twist it over the end instead of using the button. It will hold without any glue. I suppose you could then glue the original button over the wire nut if you dremel out the inside of it some.
jbahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #8
ar275103
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Same thing happened to my 93 except I went the junkyard route and put in a new one. Took about 45 mins and $15-20 but hopefully wont have to do it again
ar275103 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.