Parking in 4WD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Parking in 4WD

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-15-2006, 11:01 PM   #1
XJ-Ken

Parking in 4WD

Hey all.
I searched for awhile and couldnt find this...Im sure this has been brought up before!

I hear every once in a while that you shouldnt park with the 4wd engaged.
Is this True!?

I have a 2000 XJ with part time 4wd. We just got a boatload of snow here and I park on the street. So usually I need to drive up onto huge snow mounds that the plows make on the side of the road. the only way i can get into and out of the spot is to use 4wd so i got to leave it in when i park.

I can't see any reason why you cant leave it engaged. If there is, please explain why!

Thanks.
later....

30"x9.50x15's BFG KO's
Quick Disco's
"The Wallmart Lightbar"
XJ-Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2006, 11:46 PM   #2
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

The only problem I could see would be the fact that the front DS isn't as locked in postion as the rear. The rear is connected to the trans. If it slipped down, the trans would lock up the rear axle (Via the trans output shaft), but the front wheels could move and therefore the front tires may roll, they are connected to the DS and the DS would put a strain on the TC chain.

A full time (NP424) might alow for some slippage, but a part time (NP231) would not.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2006, 01:49 AM   #3
saxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I think its discouraged, because if you parked illegally, then they wouldn't be able to tow you. They would have to break into the car first
Unread 02-16-2006, 02:01 AM   #4
mud-dog27

thats why you should always park with you drive alxe in......or angle your wheels and lock the wheel that way you slide into the car next to you.........then they get in ****...read it in the paper kinda
89 wagoneer LTD. , 32x11.5R15 wild country RVT, 15x8 AR baja rims , surco safari roofrack w/spare tire kit , cobra 19 DXIII w/ high gear mic. 4' whip on a 3" heavy-duty spring , 4.5" rough country full leaf pack lift kit
My Jeep's Page
mud-dog27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2006, 02:06 AM   #5
creature
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud-dog27
thats why you should always park with you drive alxe in......or angle your wheels and lock the wheel that way you slide into the car next to you.........then they get in ****...read it in the paper kinda

...Are you talking about how to prevent being towed?
Unread 02-16-2006, 02:11 AM   #6
mud-dog27

yea they was an article in the local paper......due to teh fact that car theive have got smart and use tow trucks....and i guess it works and i figure it would work if you were acctually being towed.....mind you ive never had a tow company haul my jeep with just a regualar truck ive always been told the have to bring the flat deck and that was before lift
89 wagoneer LTD. , 32x11.5R15 wild country RVT, 15x8 AR baja rims , surco safari roofrack w/spare tire kit , cobra 19 DXIII w/ high gear mic. 4' whip on a 3" heavy-duty spring , 4.5" rough country full leaf pack lift kit
My Jeep's Page
mud-dog27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2006, 03:18 AM   #7
Xride

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud-dog27
yea they was an article in the local paper......due to teh fact that car theive have got smart and use tow trucks....and i guess it works and i figure it would work if you were acctually being towed.....mind you ive never had a tow company haul my jeep with just a regualar truck ive always been told the have to bring the flat deck and that was before lift
they dont care how you have your wheels, they just put you on the dolly. they try and not flat deck suv's and trucks unless they have to.
Unread 02-16-2006, 06:01 AM   #8
usswasp
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-Ken
Hey all.
I searched for awhile and couldnt find this...Im sure this has been brought up before!

I hear every once in a while that you shouldnt park with the 4wd engaged.
Is this True!?

I have a 2000 XJ with part time 4wd. We just got a boatload of snow here and I park on the street. So usually I need to drive up onto huge snow mounds that the plows make on the side of the road. the only way i can get into and out of the spot is to use 4wd so i got to leave it in when i park.

I can't see any reason why you cant leave it engaged. If there is, please explain why!

Thanks.
later....
Never heard that before. I park my XJ and KJ in 4WD everyday. True its in full-time mode but I have parked in part-time mode many times as well. With all the snow on the ground here its just not worth the hassel.

The first time someone tries to tell me I can't park with it in 4WD and they are not a mechanic with trusted experience ... well, sometimes my nasty side comes out.

08 Jeep Patriot, FD I CVT2 2.4L

02 KJ Sport traded ... I miss the ole' girl, except when I stop at the gas station
usswasp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2006, 11:43 AM   #9
BigBearXJ

I do it whenever there snow on the ground, however that hasnt been the case this winter.......
Unread 02-16-2006, 01:47 PM   #10
TheNerd
2001 XJ Cherokee 

/Tangent
I've seen the repo man just yank on a 4wd vehicle. Pulled the thing down the street, rear in the air, front wheels just dragging down the street till' he was in a "safe" place to get it in a better configuration. I used to thow the jeep into 4lo when I would park illegally (err... my friend would, I would never do something like that of corse), but now I realize that the effort was futile.
Unread 02-16-2006, 06:17 PM   #11
XJ-Ken

thanks for the replies all!

i figured it was some b.s. I could see how it can put strain on the system like balloo pointed out, but I do use the parking brake so that should be ok.

I saw i tow truck pull my bosses rig because someone parked in his assigned spot and he got pissed so he parked right behind the guy. the guy called a tow truck and pulled him dragging the rig with all the wheels locked! Ouch.
My boss almost knocked the guy out in anger! funny stuff.
30"x9.50x15's BFG KO's
Quick Disco's
"The Wallmart Lightbar"
XJ-Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2006, 06:19 PM   #12
anony91xj

I don't see a problem with it. I do it all the time when it's snowing...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.