I am having some trouble finging the cause of my battery drain. I have had the battery and alternator checked and both check out fine. I was testing the amp draw and it goes from .6 amps and drops to only .04 amps. I started pulling fuses under the hood. I pulled the small 15amp fuse closest to the front and it drops the draw to 0. Is a .04 draw even enough to drain the battery??? Wouldnt that be for the radio memory?
SUSPENSION: OME CS035RA HD leafs w/OME AAL. Ironman Fab 1.5 in boomerang shackle, RE 3.5 coils w 3/4 spacer, Ironman Fab adj UCA + LCA, JKS discos, JKS adj. trac bar, OME long travel shocks.
ARMOUR: AJ's Super Sliders, JCR belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, OR-FAB quarter panel armor, Ruff Stuff diff covers.
Rolling gear: Rubicon Moabs, 245/75/16 MTRs, IRO hack-n-tap SYE. Aussie locker in front, Powertrax no-slip in rear.
Uniden 520proxl, Hella 500s, rock lights.
if a 1A draw takes 3 hours...then a .5A draw should take 6 hrs....just sayin. BMW and cadillac say anything less than .85 is good for amp draw with .6 being ideal...but then again they have like 40 computers on their cars.
second, .5 is fine. seems to me like you have a weak battery or a dead cell. but since you got it checked, idk. i'd take it somewhere else and check the battery again. how old is it? ever been completely drained? worst thing for a standard car battery is to completely drain it. they like to be used and immediately be recharged.
i think you're fine on your draw...i'd say it's a bad battery.
Well the guys writing .5A, must mean .5Ah (amp hours). Your battery will have Ah marked on it, how many amp hours it's good for.
If you want to test for it, and don't want to play the pull a fuse & hope for the best game, you need a clamp style ammeter. You would clamp the meter around the feeder wire for that fuse/circuit, and it would give you a reading. Which ever is the highest, is the battery killer.
take a multimeter with amps on it...disconnect the pos cable and put the neg meter line on the battery post and the pos on the terminal...WITHOUT CONNECTING TERMINAL TO BATTERY...
basically you want the meter between the battery and the terminal...with positive being on the high side or
do not burn too much juice. most meters have a max of about 10amps they can handle. so, be sure everything is off and doors are closed before you make the connection with the meter. anything more than about .8 on the meter is bad...with really good being around .4. the clock alone will draw about .1 and the radio memory will pull around .3. everything else is stuff like memory for modules and stuff like keyless entry modules that stay 'awake'.
if you think you have a draw and know where it's coming from you pull the fuse for that circuit. if you get a big drop in current you found the circuit...and anything attached to it could very well be the problem. most of the times it's a component, not wiring...but there is that one chance you stuck a screw through a wire and have a short.