P0204 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > P0204

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 04-21-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
ProjectXJ00

P0204

Hey guys

Over the past months I've had a reoccurring problem with my 2000 XJ. About a month ago I got a check engine light. My brother is a VW/Subaru nut so hes got a code reader. He scanned my car...P0204 and P0304 come up. The exhaust reeked like fuel and he said that for some reason the Cyl. 4 injector was dumping too much fuel and therefore causing Cyl. 4 to also missfire, this also explained the fuel smell in the exhaust.

I took the car to the dealer to have them change out the injector. They fixed the problem and it didn't come back. Just yesterday, a month after it was fixed, I was driving home and a CEL popped up. I got home, scanned it, and it was P0204, the same problem.

Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks in advance.

ProjectXJ00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
Smittie
1998 XJ Cherokee 

P0204 (M) Injector #4 Control Circuit
Injector #4 or INJ 4 injector bank output driver stage does not respond properly to the control signal.

Not much of a contribution but...

Smittie
Smittie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
01sherman
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i was having the same problem but with #6 i replaced the inj but never the coil and now i have codes p0700 and it doesnt misfire but i cant also clear the code i have a post up on it
01sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
ProjectXJ00

thanks for the responses, anyone else?
Unread 04-22-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
ProjectXJ00

up to the top
Unread 04-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #6
dvlscoupe

Use the scan tool to moniter the injecter pulse for that one (if you can with that scan tool) or use a meter or test light to watch the voltage. It may be shorting in the harness or getting a signal from the modul to stay open to long. It could also be getting to much voltage and getting stuck on. If it keeps happening to much fuel can wash out the cylinder, and break down oil and cause havoc on the bottom end.
dvlscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2008, 11:06 AM   #7
dvlscoupe

Another easy way to jus check that injecter is swap it's position with a known good one on the cylinder and see if it's still effecting cyl# 4 or if it transfers to the cylinder you moved it to. Then you'll know it's an injector and not a harness/computer issue.
dvlscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
ProjectXJ00

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlscoupe View Post
Another easy way to jus check that injecter is swap it's position with a known good one on the cylinder and see if it's still effecting cyl# 4 or if it transfers to the cylinder you moved it to. Then you'll know it's an injector and not a harness/computer issue.

Very good call, thanks so much for the information.
Unread 06-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
Vici0usX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Revive! So I did the above mentioned and the problem persists, so this would indicate a problem with the wiring or computer? Best way to test?
Vici0usX is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.