P0131 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > P0131

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still Available

Unread 03-31-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
Evan1989
1999 XJ Cherokee 

P0131- oxygen sensor bad or something else?

Hey all.

I have a 1999 cherokee around 100k miles. CEL displays P0131 which is 02 sensor bank1 sensor 1 voltage low. This sensor is located before catalytic converter.

Since the voltage is low, I believe this means it is running lean which results in too much oxygen being let it in.

At times, the car runs a bit rough at idle.

I have located the sensor but it seems the plug goes up to the engine. My hand cant get in there to unplug it if I wanted to change it. Any Ideas?

Also I just want to know what the other issues can be besides the 02 sensor being faulty.

I do not see enough of the wire to see if there is a short. Where is the connector that goes to the engine compartment located?

Any ideas and experience, I would appreciate.

-Evan

Last edited by Evan1989; 03-31-2014 at 06:07 PM..
Evan1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 06:24 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Either a faulty O2 sensor, O2 sensor wire harness issues, or a cracked exhaust manifold. Cracked exhaust manifolds are very common.

P0131 JEEP O2 Sensor Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 1
Symptoms
- Check Engine Light ON
- High Fuel Consumption
- Excessive Smoke from Exhaust
Possible causes
- Faulty Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1
- Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 harness is open or shorted
- Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty fuel injectors
- Intake air leaks
- Exhaust gas leaks

cracked-manifold.jpg

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 10:11 PM   #3
Evan1989
1999 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for the reply.. how would i check if there is a short if I cant even get my hand up enough to disconnect the sensor plug and see any of the other wires? Is there a way to access it from the the hood area
Evan1989 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.