P0131 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > P0131

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-31-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
Evan1989
1999 XJ Cherokee 

P0131- oxygen sensor bad or something else?

Hey all.

I have a 1999 cherokee around 100k miles. CEL displays P0131 which is 02 sensor bank1 sensor 1 voltage low. This sensor is located before catalytic converter.

Since the voltage is low, I believe this means it is running lean which results in too much oxygen being let it in.

At times, the car runs a bit rough at idle.

I have located the sensor but it seems the plug goes up to the engine. My hand cant get in there to unplug it if I wanted to change it. Any Ideas?

Also I just want to know what the other issues can be besides the 02 sensor being faulty.

I do not see enough of the wire to see if there is a short. Where is the connector that goes to the engine compartment located?

Any ideas and experience, I would appreciate.

-Evan

Last edited by Evan1989; 03-31-2014 at 06:07 PM..
Evan1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 06:24 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Either a faulty O2 sensor, O2 sensor wire harness issues, or a cracked exhaust manifold. Cracked exhaust manifolds are very common.

P0131 JEEP O2 Sensor Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 1
Symptoms
- Check Engine Light ON
- High Fuel Consumption
- Excessive Smoke from Exhaust
Possible causes
- Faulty Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1
- Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 harness is open or shorted
- Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty fuel injectors
- Intake air leaks
- Exhaust gas leaks

cracked-manifold.jpg

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 10:11 PM   #3
Evan1989
1999 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for the reply.. how would i check if there is a short if I cant even get my hand up enough to disconnect the sensor plug and see any of the other wires? Is there a way to access it from the the hood area
Evan1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.