Oversized door gaskets? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Oversized door gaskets?

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
jdumont
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Oversized door gaskets?

Hey all, wondering if there are any oversized door gaskets around. This is a 99 so i presumably already have the better factory gaskets right? Ive just found a second source of water leaking into the passenger area (first was blower motor) to be the upper door seal on the front passenger door. I sprayed the hose from the drivers door on the roof towards the front passenger door and it came gushing in. The PO has electrical tape on the top edge of the door to try to bridge the gap but its obviously not working. I think the door was tweaked because it doesn't sit flush when you look at it closed....Ive gotten it a little better by sticking a 2x4 in the bottom of the door while I repeatedly pushed the window frame in. Its maybe only out 1/16th right now (picture below is before i tweaked the door). I guess Ill keep going tomorrow or ill just try some duct tape and make it REALLY thick!!!

Any thoughts?

imag0384.jpg   dscn0737.jpg  
jdumont is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Negatory on the gaskets.

Continue to gently tweak the window frame until it fits tightly. Block the door wide open. Roll the glass all the way down, put the 2x4 into the opening and tweak just the window frame area.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
jdumont
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe I can loosen the hinges also? Is there enough slop in those holes? The door also seems to sag slightly so that when it closes it gets lifted a little by the striker plate. Im just happy that I found out where more water was coming from.... this has been driving me nuts since i got this thing a few weeks ago!!

I have the front pass and rear bench out and the carpet rolled in half and bungie corded so it stays that way. 90% of the time when im driving around im looking at the floor trying to see where the water comes from!

Thanks for the reply
Unread 10-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The hinges have a some adjustment room, but the torx head bolts like to get boogered up. The hinges can adjust the door in and out and/or up and down. Use something sharp and pointy to mark the original outlines of the hinges before you you start moving things around. The striker is adjustable also. The window frame is easier to adjust than the hinges.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

Unread 10-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
tdavidk76
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Your door pins probably need replaced. Open the door and lift up on it at the bottom. Is there slop?
Unread 10-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavidk76 View Post
Your door pins probably need replaced.
On the passenger side ? I kinda doubt that.

Unread 10-05-2010, 12:20 AM   #7
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

smooth tape is not going to be much help.
You're better off fixing the door frame. I had to bend mine a little too.
As far as door pins, It's used, right? So you have no idea if some kids were hanging off it or slamming their head on it... whatever.
Also, as far as tape you can get a foam or rubber tape at the hardware store, look for home door seal or heater vent products, household section, ask someone.
Still - fix the door, less grief, but like Tim said "Be Gentle", and keep checking the door alignment to the body so you don't go too far or twist anything like that.
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 04:48 AM   #8
tdavidk76
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
On the passenger side ? I kinda doubt that.
Cheap and quick thing to check first though isn't it?

As far as your gasket goes. I am not sure where you would get it but I saw on a show one day a way to fix door seal leaks. They make some foamish like stuff to put behind your seal to push it out to give it a better seal.
Unread 10-05-2010, 05:19 AM   #9
jdumont
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ahhhh thats a good idea on the foam stuff or a piece of solid rubber round stock....hmmm.

McMaster (my favorite place ever) has lots of gasket type stuff, wondering if anything generic would work. Ill have to peel off whats on there to get a good look at the cross section.

This is all it is right?

Josh
1120a37c1l.gif  
Unread 10-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
jdumont
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nah, the one from McMaster is too small
Unread 10-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #11
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If the door seal is not damaged, all you need to do is adjust the door to fit better into the opening. If the lower part of the door is properly located in the door opening and matches up to the rear door and the fender, the glass frame just needs to be tweaked.

Unread 10-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #12
jdumont
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, ill start there. I should probably remove the several layers of electrical tape the PO has on their too. Im sure that will only make matters worse once the frame is bent back where it should be.

Thanks a lot for the help by the way, on this and other posts Tim.

Ill post back results tonight as long as its not raining out when I leave work in 5 min.
Unread 10-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #13
dukie564
1995 XJ Cherokee 

yes.... jeeps don't have the best seal. so if its very windy its just gunna be noisy but if its bad at low noise take a dollar bill or a piece of paper and open your car door. place the dollar between the door and the door frame and shut the door with the dollar still in between. if it is tight your stripping is good. but if you can move the dollar easily, open the door back up. and but your knee on the inside right of the door panel. and with your hands pull on the top towards you. it should bend it a little bit, tightening the seal. good luck
[NOTE: WINDOW DOWN]
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-danger-cart-xj-1297118/
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #14
jdumont
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looked at this some more last night. The door upper frame now closes just about flush but the weatherstripping still has the gap. THe door does sag slightly so thats not helping either.

I ended up snaking some 1/4" PVC tubing behind the bulb part of the seal so when the door closes it doesnt collapse so much. Did the dollar bill test and its way tighter than it was....but is it tight enough? I also sealed around the windshield with RTV under the strip while I was in leak mode.

Have to do the hose test tonight or tomorrow to see if its all coming together yet...

Will update accordingly.
Unread 10-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #15
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you look at the weatherstripping around the top of the door, it actually folds back. My driver's side leaked until I crammed the wire for my Sirius antenna in it. Put something inside the folded area. Cut the cord off an old mouse or something.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.