Overheating XJ cherokee 95 temp problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Overheating XJ cherokee 95 temp problem

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
Laraia95xj
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Overheating XJ cherokee 95 temp problem

Just recently I purchased a Jeep xj cherokee, 95, 4L S6 with 107k.

When test driving the vehicle I never saw any issues with the temp gauge, nor did the previous owner say anything about it.

A week after having it, while on the highway with the AC on i noticed that the temp gauge began to climb to around 250 before i pulled over.

Then a day or two after while driving on the highway with no AC on it did the same thing. even driving at 50mph it maintained its temp at 250.

There were no problems with the temp when reaching sustained speeds at 45 or 50. Until I brought the car to stop and idle, which then caused the temp to increase.

I couldn't identify any problems with the water pump, or the coolant itself. I thought I would just flush the system all together and start fresh. I have not done this yet and for the past week, while driving on the highway and idling there have not been any temp problems what so ever.

Could this be a bad Thermostat?

I also see a trend in the weather, where last week it was 90< every day, and this week it is 80s.

Could it be a gunked thermostat? or could weather just be the problem with everything?

Laraia95xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
kaitlynsdad
1992 YJ Wrangler 

check your fan clutch or if you have an electric check fuses/wiring to make sure its working
kaitlynsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Could be a bad thermostat, bad water pump, bad fan clutch, bad radiator............etc.,

May as well start planning the replacement of your cooling system components in general. Hot summers don't help but neither does failing parts.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
XJaySC
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds fan related by the conditions you described. The elec. fan could be going in and out.
XJaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
dgood
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I had the same problem with mine. Changed the radiator, no change, changed the fan clutch no change, replaced the electric fan relay in the fuze panel box by the battery no change, fuze for the electric fan in the fuse panel by the battery was bad so I replaced that and it helped it a little. Pulled the thermostat and it was broken in half, changed that and my 95 jeep cherokee never gets above 205 even in traffic with the ac on high and the temp is 100 degrees. I should have went in reverse order of replacing all those parts and it would have been cheaper but I know I will not have to change those things for awhile. Change your fluid also, it can't hurt. I also have a straight 6 and stock radiator.

Good luck
Dan
dgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Laraia95xj
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the advice fellas!!
Laraia95xj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.