Overheating w/ Cold Radiator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Overheating w/ Cold Radiator

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 12-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
BizarroDean
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Overheating w/ Cold Radiator

I'm running out of ideas for my '99 Cherokee. It overheated on me during a highway trip a couple days ago. It had been idling a bit rough the past couple weeks (especially in reverse), but no indication it had been running hot. I pulled out the idle controller, cleaned, lubed, and replaced. Then replaced the thermostat. It sounded better when I cranked her up, so I took her for a test drive, only to overheat 20 minutes later. As it was overheating, there was a loud flapping, like a metal baseball card in a bicycle spoke, as I touched the gas. I noticed that even though steam was coming from the engine, the radiator cap was totally cold. A friend towed it home, I pulled out the water pump, which looked fine, scraped and replaced the gasket, and reattached. I then flushed the radiator, which consisted of me hosing water down where the radiator cap goes and where the top hose is connected (not sure if I'm doing that right.) Had plenty of water flowing out of the bottom hose, so I'm thinking there's no blockage. I'm just having a hard time understanding how the engine could get so hot, and the radiator be so cold. A friend suggested I get my head gasket tested, but is that my last hope?

BizarroDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
75SV1

I might look again at the water pump. See if the implelor is secure on the shaft. Other than that, maybe look at the bottom hose. If it colapses or not. See if there is a wire spring in it. Though some of the newer ones have a more ridgid hose, so they don't need the spring.
Tom
75SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

The flapping is likely your fan hitting a broken or dislodged fan shroud OR splash shield. I'd be real surprised if it was something internal and it's really the only rotating thing that could make a noise like that. Older XJ's have a spring in the hose. Jeep discontinued them for the most part after 1990 or so. Neither of my Jeeps have them and they do fine.

As far as the overheating...how hot? Is your coolant topped up? Is it a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. Is there any oil in coolant or vice versa. If all that is covered is your heater core clogged, have you flushed out the core separately? What pressure rating on your radiator cap. 13# or 16#? Does your cap have a lever on it? You have a lot of things to check before you consider a head gasket.
Unread 12-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

1. Should have replaced that water pump while you had it out. New pumps are not that expensive.

2. I use only Mopar 195 degree stats. I've had plenty of issue with many of the aftermarket thermostats.

3. As you did have overheating, testing for a blown head gasket would start with a simple compression test on all cylinders. The compression spec for the 4.0 engine is 120-150 psi, with no more than a 30 psi variation between cylinders
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.