Overheating Issues...seemingly tried everything - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Overheating Issues...seemingly tried everything

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #16
Snarl
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Is the thermostat installed correctly? Sometimes things happen.

Snarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #17
BlackPearl
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkajeffy View Post
Did you replace the bottom Rad. Hose? If you did, did the replacement have a spring in it? That is the intake to the water pump, and the spring keeps it from collapsing. And yes fail safe t-stats are crap! Check that hose and then do the nose up deal.
I didn't replace any hoses when I changed tha radiator because I put new hoses on about 1-2 years ago and they still seemed pretty good. Even with the engine running they don't seem to be sucking down like anythings pulling on them...but they don't seem to be pumping up either.

I'll go to my local Jeep dealership today and get myself a MOPAR t-stat. And I'll check my engine this morning and see if the system is pressurized. It was a cold night so nothing should come out of Rad cap.
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #18
BlackPearl
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarl View Post
Is the thermostat installed correctly? Sometimes things happen.
I'm positive the T-stat is installed correctly...because I have tried installing it a few different times to make sure haha...till nothing.
Unread 10-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #19
Heartless
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think your system has an air bubble man. The hoses should be full of coolant. I usually start the thing and pump it with my hand to get the bubbles out. I usually start with the rad cap off, and just burp it almost. Then when it starts to get warm i put the cap on.

It does sound a lot like when my head warped though. I replaced the whole engine because it was at 350,000 km. Usually that is the life of the Cherokee engine. But im confident you have a bubble. If it is full for sure and doing this... Your F***ed.

Good luck!! let us know the results.
Unread 10-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #20
BlackPearl
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well I'm going to try to burp the system again this afternoon and see if I get an results. I haven't tried squeezing the hoses so I'll give it a shot. And the system isn't totally full. When I checked it amd ran it yesterday to see how she was doing the overflow tank was below the add mark so we'll see what happens. I'll ler you guys know what's going on in a few hours. Thanks alot for the tips so far.
Unread 10-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #21
BlackPearl
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well everyone, I had a few minutes to run out and try to burp the system this morning. It was a chilly night last night it took a few minutes to get the engine going but since it's still cool out I could see steam coming from under the headers once the engine was hot...and once I got a closer look I could see coolant coming from where The gasket is. I'm no mechanic, just a do it yourselfer, but I'm positive it's my head gasket. And upon even further inspection I could see a tiny crack leaking coolant right behind the t-stat housing...so looks like that head is done with.

Which brings me to my next question, should I replace the head or the whole engine? Money is an issue...as always. Ideally I'd like a stroker but just to get the thing running is more important.

Thanks for everything so far.
Unread 10-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #22
unkajeffy
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Head gaskets are pretty simple, a haynes manual will have step by step instructions. Just label, or bag and tag evrything so you know where it goes.
Unread 10-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #23
burton62

I had this issue with my 98 4.0l 5speed. its was chugging out in stop and go traffic, i thought it was over heating (seemed to be running very hot, no gauges, only happened on hot days in stop n go traffic) it turned out to be the crank position sensor.

If your symptoms are similar, might consider. will show a code on computer scan.
burton62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #24
burton62

^^^^^ ingore ahh i missed a couple posts. sorry fellas
burton62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #25
Raydioed1

Problem solved !
Thx guys...
Bob

Last edited by Raydioed1; 07-28-2013 at 04:02 PM..
Raydioed1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling , overheat , radiator , system

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.