Overheating help!!!!!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Overheating help!!!!!!!!!

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
CrusherCurtis

Overheating help!!!!!!!!!

Just bought a 99 4.0. Its overheating.

Here we go.

When it first overheated the coolant was boiling in the cooling system and coming out the reservoir. It was really a thick brown paste. Time for a flush. What I first did was drain the radiator (the coolant was very thick and brown). I then pulled the thermostat, which was completely broken into pieces under the housing. I replaced the housing with no thermostat and poured in a bottle of radiator flush and water. I let the car idle until 210 was reached and then I revved it up a down a few times. The needle remained in the middle. I turned it off and thought I had solved my problem (broken thermostat) and let it idle again about 5 hours later. After normal operating temp was reached. I then held the idle at about 3000 revs, until the needle moved slightly to the right of the 210. I immediately let go of the throttle and continued to let it idle, then all of a sudden the check gauges light flashed and the the needle jumped to the far right. I turned it off and checked under the hood and here we go again. Brown water shooting out of my reservoir (though thin this time). So today I ran water through cooling system initially with my garden hose. The water coming out was a healthy rust brown but eventually it began to clear up. I also installed a new thermostat and added more radiator flush to the water. I haven't tried to run it yet will be doing that tomorrow.

The original owner hasn't touched the cooling system and they bought it new. So everything is original which would explain why the thermostat was in pieces.

What could be wrong with cooling system? Should I continue to flush or assume its the radiator? Also is the electric fan for the A/C condenser or is it actually an engine cooling fan? If its a cooling fan then I've found my problem b/c that sob sat idly by while my I Jeep overheated.

CrusherCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #2
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Take it back!!! The heads most likely cracked and if they drove it like that which it sounds like they did then the rod and crank bearings are probably shot too. You can try putting on a new head but that may or may not do it. Try searching the forum here you'll find lots of threads about overheating and cracked heads. If it's not caught right away then it will destroy the motor. The brown thick paste is motor oil mixed with the coolant. If it was that poorly maintained then you are in for a lot more headaches down the road.
robsjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #3
CrusherCurtis

There is no coolant in the oil and it still runs great and is very strong. Also I coundn't take if back if I wanted. Also oil change is past due and its not low on oil at all and brown is more of a rust color rather than black.
Unread 09-02-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
0okamiDigital
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I remember seeing a thread about this same stuff a while back... lemme do some digging. -- brb-

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ov...brown-1091818/

Does it look like this?
Unread 09-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #5
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I guess run a flush solution through the cooling system and see how it does. Checking that fans are in fact working, the radiator cap is good, and system is circulating fluid well (radiator isn't clogged, water pump is working etc.) would be next on my list. I would go a compression test on all the cylinders and a leak down test on the cooling system as well just to be sure your not just wasting your time though. Good luck with it.
Unread 09-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
CrusherCurtis

Is the electric fan for the condenser or does it actually cool the engine. Also how do I do a leak down test.
Unread 09-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #7
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I guess both but it helps cool the engine too even without the a/c on if it gets above 220* (approx). Leak down test is done by putting a hand pump on the radiator and seeing if the pressure holds or drops off. It's used to help find leaks but can be used for this too. Mechanical fan should not spin more than 1 turn by hand (less when it's hot) or it's no good either, check for play too.
Unread 09-03-2010, 12:22 AM   #8
iraqsucks
1994 XJ Cherokee 

the electric fan is for the ac condenser but it comes on once it reaches a certain temp. if everything is right.
iraqsucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2010, 12:23 AM   #9
CrusherCurtis

Well my fan definitely didn't cut on with the gauge reached 220. However it did cut on when I turned the A/C on. Is this likely a sensor issue?
Unread 09-03-2010, 12:29 AM   #10
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Possibly. If you unplug the sensor and the fan comes on it's most likely the sensor. There are a couple fuses and relays that control the E fan as well as the sensor. I do remember reading a thread on it recently. You can search for it or find yourself a FSM on the web it will have all that info. Check all your fuses too, under the dash and under the hood. It shouldn't be getting up over 220* in the first place though so don't get sidetracked too much with the E fan thing you have other more primary issues to deal with first.
Unread 09-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #11
CrusherCurtis

Also any cheap way to do a drip down test? When I first got the Jeep I looked into in and my local parts store wanted $200 for the kit.

Is the mechanical fan suppose to be enough to get the engine cool or is the E fan necessary?
Unread 09-03-2010, 12:34 AM   #12
iraqsucks
1994 XJ Cherokee 

mechanical fan should be enough. is your mechanical fan shroud broken?
iraqsucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2010, 03:50 AM   #13
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

X2 on the radiator cap...
And a reverse flush too.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2010, 07:34 AM   #14
303_XJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like you have a bad fan clutch. With the motor turned off, spin the fan blades with your hand. Is there any resistance?
Unread 09-03-2010, 07:52 AM   #15
Sailor553
1999 XJ Cherokee 

While flushing - make sure you "open" the heater valve/switch.
Sailor553 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.