Overheat with no leaks, or bubbling, wits end - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Overheat with no leaks, or bubbling, wits end

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
MattyIce20
2003 XJ Cherokee 

Overheat with no leaks, or bubbling, wits end

Hey, I'm new so if I've posted wrong or in the wrong spot I apologize. Last night, Jeep rough started, once got going, made it about a mile and saw the temp gauge was maxed out, pulled off, car stayed hot with engine off, took the risk, drove home anyway, had no issues.
Car was off for 12 hours, when I turned key to 2 hole to see gauges, still showed temp 3/4 way up, still reading hot enengine after 12 hours
Replaced Thermostat(yes I did it right) and still gets overheated like crazy
What would you all suggest? I've heard temperature sensor could be culprit because I had a hard start last night, and a hard start this morning(very rough) before attempting to change thermostat
03 Grand Cherokee I6 4.0 L 4x4

MattyIce20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
Glavus
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you drove it home with the temp gauge maxed out and nothing happened, then it's your temperature sensor for sure. It threads right into you thermostat housing..

Normally driving over heated would cause all kinds of havoc. Clouds of steam, and a massive coolant/oil puddle under the engine.

PS: For future reference, don't 'risk' it if you think your over heating. You'll end up having to put in a whole new engine..
Glavus is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.