Overhead Console install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Overhead Console install

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-11-2004, 06:13 PM   #1
BlueCuda

Overhead Console install

Has anyone ever done the swap to the overhead console with the temp and compass ETC in it? Mine doesn't have one and its something my 99 Ram had that I really liked.

I imagine you would need the console assembly, whatever computer runs it and the thermostat ETC? Just curious thanks.

Unread 01-11-2004, 06:23 PM   #2
fendermb4

Did these only come in the limiteds, or were they an option in all models?
I would also really like one of these.

WWW.PRAGMATICUTOPIA.COM
fendermb4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2004, 06:40 PM   #3
bdw8

There was think there was this one guy on here that tried to put in an overhead console. I want to say he got his from a ZJ though. He had a hard time with the wiring, but after a while figured it out. He had a couple of threads here but they are gone now I think. He had some threads over at the Jeeps Unlimited forum too. Search in there and check it out, it should be very helpful.
bdw8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2004, 09:49 AM   #4
JeepXJ12

Consoles I think started with the 1999 Jeep Cherokee's.....I would check E-bay then search the web and possibly go to your local salvage yard and see if they have any newer cherokee's.....I believe the overhead consoles were as rare as Cherokee's having sun roofs.....
SmittyBuilt Brush Guard
ProComp 2" BB lift
Monroe SensaTrack Shocks
[URL=http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/499297]My Jeep[/URL]
[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=436360]The Almighty 2" BB Jeep Club Member #27[/URL]
"This Jeep is going in Deep and coming out dirty and wet"......
Black Jeep Club v2.0 Member #12
JeepXJ12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2004, 10:40 AM   #5
97cherokee

they were most likely an option on all xj since my friends 98 sport has one. you can actually get a console from the junk yard out of a caravan (much easier t find, found 5 last time i went but were different colors as weel as gray). they are identical in shape and size and fit, as far as i can see, (the back of it actually says jeep on it as well as caravan). it has 2 extra swithes though that the jeep version does not (rear window switches i believe) and the actual plug that plugs into it from the car is different from the jeep plug, but u can just wire it yourself.
the good news is that the compass is contained in the console itself not elsewhere in the car so that will work as long as u supply the 12V. the mileage function of the console i still dont know where it is from or whether it will function, since it probably needs access to the cars computer.
for $20 at the junk yard its worth a try at least

1997 Cherokee Sport 2 door. FOR SALE, rolled. drove it home. Drives perfect needs a windshield/rear side window, or for parts! RE 3.5 SuperFlex, RE SYE, RE HD Trackbar, ARB Bullbar+Warn M8000, C4x4 rear bumper, 5 speed, power options, ecco wheels and spare, 2nd Gen RE swaybar discos, OME shocks(1 week old), 31" BFG All terrains on black wagon wheels(4 months old), mopar skids, class 3 hidden hitch, CB w/ PA horn, 102" whip antenna (cool)
97cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2004, 11:29 AM   #6
fendermb4

Does anyone know how the console in a Grand Cherokee compares? Size wise, etc?
There are tons of consoles from Grands on ebay that look like they'd be a close fit.

WWW.PRAGMATICUTOPIA.COM
Unread 01-12-2004, 04:24 PM   #7
ugmoe2000

A friend of mine just picked up an 88 XJ that's loaded to the teeth complete /w overhead compass mileage thing. It doesn't work cause the wiring's shot lol but it's there.
ugmoe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2004, 04:29 PM   #8
90lerado

my 90 has a WORKING overhead console. well at least the compass works, the temp deally is way off, the other day it was 110* and there was snow on the ground....

Wife's/my vehicle: 06 Pontiac vibe awd
Hopefully a jeep sometime in the future
90lerado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2004, 07:22 PM   #9
BGIII

I installed a 99 overhead console in a 00. This is what I needed:

1. You will need the temp sensor which mounts behind the front bumper on the radiator support. The wiring for this on a 98 and up should already be there. Not sure about earlier years. I think the temp sensor is around $20-$25.

2. You will need the overhead console wiring harness that starts behind the glove box and fuse panel and goes up to the visors and overhead console. This harness is not the same as what you have now. (easiest if you get the correct year)

3. You will obviously need the overhead console.

4. There is a special bracket that is riveted to one of the roof crossbows that supports the overhead console, your will need this bracket and will need to mount it to your crossbow. Use SHORT self tapping screws so that you do not go through your roof. the crossbow has dimples in it already so you will know where to mount it. Remember SHORT SCREWS

5. A template for cutting the proper holes in your headliner would make the job much easier. To me, this is the one part that could be tricky if you don't have a template. Headliners are damn expensive if you ruin it.

There are two plugs that come down from the overhead console wiring harness and plug in behind the glovebox and into the fusepanel. Depending on the year that the overhead console comes out of, the one plug may be a different size. I believe 98-99 were the same and 00-01 were the same. Not a huge deal. If yours do not match up you can carefully remove the wires from your original harness's plug and the overhead console harness's plug and install the overhead console wires into your original plug. Simply match up the wires color for color with the plug that it will be plugging into behind the glovebox. The overhead console harness has more wires than stock dome light harness but all the wires are already in the chassis harness so just match them up. Splicing won't work because of the additional wires needed for the overhead console, you must switch plugs.

All functions of the overhead console worked fine for me with no additional changes.

Give yourself plenty of time to do this job, you have to remove the headliner, cut the headliner, mount the support bracket, possibly change the wiring plugs, change the harness from the fuse box to the visors and overhead console, re-install headliner, and possibly remove and re-install front bumper and end caps to install temp sensor.

Sorry for the long post.
BGIII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2004, 07:34 PM   #10
fendermb4

^^^Awesome.
Thanks for the great detail. I'm sure I would've missed the glove box harness.

WWW.PRAGMATICUTOPIA.COM
Unread 01-12-2004, 09:54 PM   #11
JEEPZZ

Pertaining to 97+ XJ's:
I've done two overhead console installs (97 & 98). BGIII is right on the money except I was able to install mine without removing the headliner. I did however drop the right front corner of the headliner down for wiring access. As for cutting the headliner, very minimal cutting is needed. I cut out for the bracket and the rearward 'shoe horn' mount.(you'll know what I mean when you see it) The cutting I did was far less than the OEM headliner had from the donor Jeep.
Alway try to get the wiring harness with the console. New ones from the dealer start at $75 and go up to about $120 depending on options such as keyless entry and model year.

As far as the Grand Cherokee and Dodge Caravan overhead, they will not match up to the XJ's headliner correctly AND THEY WILL NOT INTERFACE WITH THE XJ'S COMPUTER. The ZJ and Caravan's computers have the same data bus BUT NOT THE XJ. Save the brain damage and get yourself a console from an XJ. I see a lot of ZJ consoles on ebay listed as XJ units but they're not. 97+ XJ overheads have the sunvisor clips built into the console not separate like the ZJ or pre97 XJ.

97+ XJ console:

Last edited by JEEPZZ; 11-12-2004 at 07:05 PM..
JEEPZZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2004, 11:37 AM   #12
fendermb4

Great, now I know how to install it.
Anyone got one for sale??

WWW.PRAGMATICUTOPIA.COM
Unread 01-13-2004, 11:59 AM   #13
xcmbike

Seems like a lot of trouble to tell what the temperature is outside your door. Extra storage would be nice I suppose.

Mr. December in the 2004 Jeepforum.com XJ calendar
xcmbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2004, 06:48 PM   #14
JEEPZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcmbike
Seems like a lot of trouble to tell what the temperature is outside your door. Extra storage would be nice I suppose.
Actually the temp and compass are just the icing on the cake. The four independant map lights are cool as are the sunglass storage compartment AND hidden remote garage door opener compartment. English and Metric mileage and temp conversions are a thing of the past although this feature would probably get more use in a Metric country.
The real benefit for me are the computer/mileage functions such as instant fuel economy, average fuel economy, secondary trip odometer with independant trip elaspe timer, and the big one for me is DTE or distance 'till empty. That last one comes in real handy when your out in the backcountry or in between station fill ups and want to know how much farther you can go before you run dry.

BTW, the low gas warning light/chime are activated at about 20 miles 'till empty.

edit:
One more thing; if you have power locks but you don't have keyless entry, you will have it after the overhead console install. All 97+ XJ overhead consoles have the keyless receiver assembly built in. All you'll need is the key fob transmitter and 2 minutes worth of programming. The rest of the system is already in place. The keyless entry will unlock all doors and the hatch and also turn on your dome/map lights upon entry - and - sound your horn to confirm all the doors and hatch are locked upon exit. The horn option can also be disabled if you prefer a silent exit.

All in all, it's much more than thermometer.

Last edited by JEEPZZ; 01-13-2004 at 07:11 PM..
JEEPZZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2004, 05:11 PM   #15
ugmoe2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPZZ
Actually the temp and compass are just the icing on the cake. ...

WOW! You've sold me, I've gotta get one of those for my rig! I wonder what problems I might run into /w a 96 hmmmm I'll have to do some research.
ugmoe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.