Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

out to pasture?????

664 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Rural9MailMan 
#1 ·
:crying2:
I've had my 98 xj almost since day one. She has been my best friend, for the past 16 years. She has 199k on her and recently had to be taken in to get looked at. The Doctor said she has a miss fire in the 1st cylinder and that is the reason. He said he would need to do the whole top end. So I'm guessing that means a valve job, some machine work etc.
Here is my question: Before I do a job like this or possibly a reman engine swap. What should I make sure is in good working condition before doing the swap?

Heads up. It does have a RMS leak.

thanks
Mark

#2 ·
First and foremost, before doing anything that big. Get a second opinion.

Your "doctor" could be spot on, but what details did he provide you to ensure that diagnosis is correct? Because no problem can be diagnosed as "199K is the cause". Did he specifically tell you what the problem was? If he can't then 1. He doesn't know and 2. He is not the one to fix it.

Also, if you are not sure what "doing the whole top end" entails, then your doctor should explain that to you in plain language before you spend any money.

Your Jeep (and best friend) has its best years ahead of it. (pictures please!).

Reactions: marksjeepxj
#3 ·
Oh, and I'll just add that other than non-repairable frame corrosion, there is really nothing that can not be entirely replaced, rebuilt, and made new on your Jeep (and usually made better than stock). So the idea that the Jeep is "worn out" or "too old" is silly. So I don't see how it could possibly be "out to pasture" unless you don't want to spend any more money on it. But since you have had it for so long, and described it as your best friend, I doubt that is the case.

(and even non-repairable frame corrosion can be completely repaired. Its just a question of expense and desire).

#4 ·
I second the point of a second opinion, a misfire can easily be caused by an ignition related failure, I would get it compression tested and see if you truly have a dead cylinder caused by a sticking valve or rings or head gasket. If head gasket is under consideration get it block tested. Tie up every loose end before ripping it apart and causing you to spend thousands vs a 5 dollar spark plug. RMS doesn't effect the performance of your motor it just pukes oil all over everything when it goes bad

#6 ·
Thank you all for your advise. I think I will get a 2nd opinion. He quoted me $1,000! I am willing to invest that into it and hopefully get a few more years out of her. I seriously thought I was gonna hit 300k miles. I do not need or want a truck payment at this time. I have paid this jeep of 3X over. It has been good to me and I'd hate to see someone else driving it around time. People know me, stop me, want to talk to me about my XJ. I love it like a pet ( i don't have kids). I will get a second opinion and post the results.

#7 ·
Definitely get a second opinion! There are many reasons a cylinder has a misfire. A valve issue is only one. A competent mechanic will be able to test & determine if that is the case. Do it by the numbers by which I mean compression readings, hot & cold plus leak down. As to RMS leak, the oil filter adaptor imo is more likely to be the source. Not all 4.0 have a RMS leak & I would bet a beer that the likelihood of the oil filter adaptor leaking is greater. '98 is one of the best years of the XJ. My dog will be sixteen in October & I have not given up on him yet!

#8 ·
I have put 10`s of thousands of miles on engines with burnt valves etc.......one with a exaust valve so bad it would yank a shop rag out of your hand when placed by the exaust pipe.

While it might run funny with what people call a miss, unless there are bet broken parts it will keep on chuggin for thousands and thousands of miles.

Low compression across the board........worn valve seats.....worn valve guides....worn rings/bore........, while it might not run perfect, it will run for a very long time. The oil might get dirtier sooner, it might use some oil or foul the plugs every 10,000 miles, but it will keep going.

Intake valve causing reversion is the worst out of all for drivability and idle quality and would be at the top of my list to fix........due to problems it causes, exaust valve would be at the bottom of the list.

Reactions: marksjeepxj
#9 ·
I really am sorry to say this but if you quoted the mechanic he has the worst bedside manner there is in business. Even if he is right. You should know why your leg is getting cut off when they tell you it has to be amputated. Too many variables to assume without thorough investigation . Start with standard operating procedures and check air fuel compression and spark. A true mechanic and you will truly understand them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.