Original Ignition Module model for `02 Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Original Ignition Module model for `02 Cherokee

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Reply
Unread 06-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
largentim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: sao paulo, sao paulo
Posts: 6
Original Ignition Module model for `02 Cherokee

Hello guys,

Last week I had some issues with my Cherokee 4.0L. My mechanic told me that the engine keeps "choking" because my Ignition Module wore out (apparently, it has something to deal with the fuel injection as well). Also, he told me that the one that is installed is not the originial one. Itīs a Motorola 535AE module. I would like to know if anyone has that information and if it is actually the problem. Iīm new to the forum and I donīt know if I made myself clear.

thanks!

Ps. Iīll post a photo of the module!



largentim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
CCKen
Web Wheeler
 
CCKen's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,844
That looks like a Powertrain Control Module (PCM). It does control many things in your XJ, including fuel injection.

It is hard to understand what "Choking" means. If you could explain what this means it would help you get an answer.

I can't help with the exact part number of your PCM. There is a data plate (sticker) on the side of the PCM that gives the part number. This number should be compared to the required factory part number for your XJ, which you should be able to get from a Chrysler/Jeep dealer near you. Give them the VIN number of your Jeep and they will look it up.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
largentim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: sao paulo, sao paulo
Posts: 6
Thanks for the reply CCKen.
I'm from Brazil and I'll try to make a better explanation even my English is quite poor.
I meant by "choking" what happens when I hit the gas and the engine won't respond in a continuous gain of RPM. It seems like there isn't enough fuel being injected, which means that the potency is a lot impaired.
By VIN number, I think you are looking for this code :
8B4FFB8S2Y2202135

I'll post a pic of the sticker you told me about.
By the way, I forgot to mention, It's a 2000 Cherokee, not 2002 as I wrote in the title (sorry about that, didn't realize till today).
etiqueta.jpg  
largentim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.
 
CJ7-Tim's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: out in the garage - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 21,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by largentim View Post
....I meant by "choking" what happens when I hit the gas and the engine won't respond in a continuous gain of RPM. It seems like there isn't enough fuel being injected, which means that the potency is a lot impaired.
What you describe is most likely a faulty Throttle Position Sensor or a faulty O2 sensor if the engine is gasoline/petrol.

The Engine Computer (ICM or ECU or PCM), is very seldom faulty. There are many more logical and common XJ Cherokee problems that can cause the symptoms you describe.

Test the TPS.


You may have one or more of these Physical Symptoms:

1) The engine loses power and is stalling.
2) The engine will idle, but may die as soon as you press the gas pedal. When driving, it seems as if all power is gone.
3) Sometimes it feels as if the transmission is failed or isn't shifting properly, if at all. If you quickly jump on the gas you might be able to get the transmission to shift, but it won’t shift properly by itself. Shifting manually, the transmission goes through all the gears.

NOTE: The throttle position sensor is also DIRECTLY involved with transmission shifting characteristics. The TPS function should be verified early in the troubleshooting process, when a transmission issue is suspected.

TPS TEST

You should have 5 volts going into the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). It is best to use an analog meter (not digital) to see if the transition from idle to WOT is smooth with no dead spots. With your meter set for volts, put the black probe on a good ground like your negative battery terminal. With the key on, engine not running, test with the red probe of your meter (install a paper clip into the back of the plug of the TPS) to see which wire has the 5 volts. At idle, TPS output voltage should be greater than .26 volts but less than .95 volts. Move the throttle and look for smooth meter response up to the 4.49 at WOT. The other wire will be the ground and should show no voltage.

Perform the test procedure again and wiggle and/or tap on the TPS while you watch the meter. If you notice any flat spots or abrupt changes in the meter readings, replace the TPS.


The TPS is sensitive to heat, moisture, and vibration, leading to the failure of some units. The sensor is a sealed unit and cannot be repaired only replaced. A TPS may fail gradually leading to a number of symptoms which can include one or more of the following:

-Poor idle control: The TPS is used by the ECU to determine if the throttle is closed and the car should be using the Idle Air Control Valve exclusively for idle control. A fault TPS sensor can confuse the ECU causing the idle to be erratic or "hunting".

- High Idle Speed: The TPS may report faulty values causing the engine idle speed to be increased above normal. This is normally found in conjunction with a slow engine return to idle speed symptom.

-Slow engine return to idle: A failing TPS can report the minimum throttle position values incorrectly which can stop the engine entering idle mode when the throttle is closed. Normally when the throttle is closed the engine fuel injectors will be deactivated until a defined engine RPM speed is reached and the engine brought smoothly to idle speed. When failing a TPS will not report the throttle closed and fueling will continue causing the engine to return to idle very slowly.

-Engine Hesitation on Throttle Application: The TPS is also used by the ECU to determine if the driver has applied the throttle quicker than the Manifold Air Pressure sensor can read. The fueling is adjusted accordingly to cope with the sudden increase in air volume, however a faulty sensor can cause the ECU to ignore this data and the engine will "hesitate" when applying the throttle. In extreme cases with the engine at idle, a sudden application of full throttle can stall the engine.

- Engine Misfire: A faulty TPS can report values outside the acceptable range causing the ECU to incorrectly fuel the engine. This is noticeable as a slight misfire and can trigger the misfire detection software and/or Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) light on the dashboard. Extreme cases can cause excessive misfires resulting in one or more cylinders being shut down to prevent engine and catalytic converter damage.
__________________
.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
CCKen
Web Wheeler
 
CCKen's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by largentim View Post
Thanks for the reply CCKen.
I'm from Brazil and I'll try to make a better explanation even my English is quite poor.
I meant by "choking" what happens when I hit the gas and the engine won't respond in a continuous gain of RPM. It seems like there isn't enough fuel being injected, which means that the potency is a lot impaired.
By VIN number, I think you are looking for this code :
8B4FFB8S2Y2202135

I'll post a pic of the sticker you told me about.
By the way, I forgot to mention, It's a 2000 Cherokee, not 2002 as I wrote in the title (sorry about that, didn't realize till today).
What country was your Jeep manufactured in? Look at the sticker on the driver's door end, it should say where it was manufactured.
Judging by your VIN # it wasn't made in the U.S.A. - The first digit of the VIN is the country of origin - U.S.A. is #1. The 11th digit is the assembly plant. Yours has a #2 in that position (?). Double check your VIN number please.

That PCM Chrysler part number doesn't show up in the 2000 XJ parts catalog, it does, however, show up in the 1998 XJ catalog as 56041 535AB. Your 2000 XJ would not run with a 1998 PCM in it; the '98 PCM doesn't have the N0. 2 and No. 3 coil drivers in it. Check with your mechanic again and see if he can tell you what Chrysler part number PCM you need.

I agree with CJ7-Tim; it does sound like a Throttle Position Sensor acting up.
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
largentim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: sao paulo, sao paulo
Posts: 6
I double checked my VIN number and it seems to be correct. I found some information in a decoding software for VIN numbers. That's what I got:
VIN-code: 8B4FFB8S2Y2202135
Manufacturer: Jeep (Canada)
Model: Cherokee-four-wheel drive
Updated on: 4-speed AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION (Europe)
Body style: 4-door
Engine: 4.0 litre straight 6-cylinder, HO
Assembly plant: no details on such a character at position No. 11 ...
Country: Venezuela
Model year: 2000
Production number: 202135
Check digit: failed verification, the symbol on the 9-th position should be 3

It seems to be right, pretty much describes all the specs of my vehicle.
I'll be able to test the TPS this weekend. Soon as I get the results I'll let you guys know.
About the PCM, my mechanic just figured it wasn't the original one because it looks like it was opened before, and it has some remnants of weld. He doesn't really know what's the Chrisler Part number. I figured CJ7-Tim could help with that, his Cherokee is the same year and model than mine.
largentim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 05:59 AM   #7
n5xl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Arizona
Posts: 510
Bom Dia Largentim, to ta bom?

It is possible the PCM is bad if it was opened. There are no parts in there that the average mechanic can check or replace so it is possible someone opened it and damaged something internally. As is often the case, Tim offers up some excellent advice on the TPS and it is worthwhile checking. If you are going to start working on your Jeep, you may want to get an ODB2 code scanner. They will make it much easier for you to figure out problems.

I've been to SP many times (Sao Paulo and Ourinhos and also down into RS (Porto Alegre and Pelotas...I am in Pelotas about 4-6 times a year). In all of this time, I have not seen another Jeep there. What I do see a lot of are the Trollers which seem to be quite popular.
__________________
Current Jeeps:
99 TJ, AX15, 2"BB,
99 XJ, AW4, 2"OME,
98 XJ, AW4, 2"ACOS/JKS Shackles
n5xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 06:53 AM   #8
CCKen
Web Wheeler
 
CCKen's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by largentim View Post
Hello guys,

Last week I had some issues with my Cherokee 4.0L. My mechanic told me that the engine keeps "choking" because my Ignition Module wore out (apparently, it has something to deal with the fuel injection as well).
By your statement that 'Last week I had some issues', am I to assume that prior to 'last week' the Jeep has been running fine (okay)? If so, am I to assume that that PCM you show in your post has been installed all that time? If so, then there's no reason to suspect it may be the wrong part number PCM for your Jeep - correct? Please clarify
CCKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #9
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.
 
CJ7-Tim's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: out in the garage - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 21,288
56041 535ae comes up as a 1998 ECU. Does your Cherokee have a distributor, or does it have coil on spark plug distributor-less ignition ?

.
2000 ECU/PCM PART NUMBERS

.
1x1.jpg  
__________________
.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
largentim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: sao paulo, sao paulo
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by n5xl View Post
Bom Dia Largentim, to ta bom?

It is possible the PCM is bad if it was opened. There are no parts in there that the average mechanic can check or replace so it is possible someone opened it and damaged something internally. As is often the case, Tim offers up some excellent advice on the TPS and it is worthwhile checking. If you are going to start working on your Jeep, you may want to get an ODB2 code scanner. They will make it much easier for you to figure out problems.

I've been to SP many times (Sao Paulo and Ourinhos and also down into RS (Porto Alegre and Pelotas...I am in Pelotas about 4-6 times a year). In all of this time, I have not seen another Jeep there. What I do see a lot of are the Trollers which seem to be quite popular.
Thanks for the advice. Glad you know our country and realize that is not what international media shows all the time! Trollers are actually expansive cars down here, but sure is a great vehicle to go mudding.
Let me know anytime you want to go mudding with us, we usually go out in groups.
largentim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
largentim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: sao paulo, sao paulo
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKen View Post
By your statement that 'Last week I had some issues', am I to assume that prior to 'last week' the Jeep has been running fine (okay)? If so, am I to assume that that PCM you show in your post has been installed all that time? If so, then there's no reason to suspect it may be the wrong part number PCM for your Jeep - correct? Please clarify
Yes it was running ok! The PCM is the same one since I bought the car. I did not replace it, but I'm not sure about other owners.
largentim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #12
largentim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: sao paulo, sao paulo
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
56041 535ae comes up as a 1998 ECU. Does your Cherokee have a distributor, or does it have coil on spark plug distributor-less ignition ?

.
2000 ECU PART NUMBERS

.
It does have a distributor!
largentim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 02:18 AM   #13
kmlp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 1
Damaged PCM WJ 4.0

Hello All,
I bought WJ 4.0 with damaged ecu/pcm. Parts number P56041 / 785AA.
PHOTO: ftp://kmlp.dyndns.org/IMG_9049_2.JPG
Can I use a different ecu from WJ 4.0?
Does anyone of you have a photo of your ECU?! I suppose anything is missing. (eprom with immo data / security).
Many thanks and greeting form PL/Europe
Kamil
kmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fuel injection , ignition , module
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.