Orange Coolant - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Orange Coolant

Get DBA Brake Rotors From ExtremeTerrain.com!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-09-2006, 09:36 AM   #1
KCXJ

Orange Coolant

well, my '99 xj has orange coolant. I looked up the factory coolant for 1999 and I
read they were using the green stuff. Siphoned a bit of my coolant out and it is a pale orange cooler. Tested it and it shows that it is good to -25. Do you think my coolant was replaced at some time with the long-life stuff? Or could this be contamination from my tranny cooler?

KCXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 09:44 AM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCXJ
well, my '99 xj has orange coolant. I looked up the factory coolant for 1999 and I
read they were using the green stuff. Siphoned a bit of my coolant out and it is a pale orange cooler. Tested it and it shows that it is good to -25. Do you think my coolant was replaced at some time with the long-life stuff? Or could this be contamination from my tranny cooler?
ATF in the coolant will NOT turn it orange. It will turn it a muddy brownish color. If your coolant is orange, it's because someone put that type of coolant in the machine before you bought it. It won't hurt anything to use that type, BTW.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 09:45 AM   #3
mud-dog27

the orange stuff is DEXCOOL which is...i think GMs or Chryslers special stuff.......and if im correct you should have it flushed and replaced with green if thats what your manual asks for cause that orange/pink crap will eat away at your insides
89 wagoneer LTD. , 32x11.5R15 wild country RVT, 15x8 AR baja rims , surco safari roofrack w/spare tire kit , cobra 19 DXIII w/ high gear mic. 4' whip on a 3" heavy-duty spring , 4.5" rough country full leaf pack lift kit
My Jeep's Page
mud-dog27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
KCXJ

So, I should replace it then? What does everyone think?
Unread 01-09-2006, 09:58 AM   #5
mud-dog27

id say replace it cause i think theres some additive in it that will cause corrosion if the vehicle aint supposed to have it...so just to be safe id find out what coolant your jeep is supposed to have and put what ever in that its supposed to have
89 wagoneer LTD. , 32x11.5R15 wild country RVT, 15x8 AR baja rims , surco safari roofrack w/spare tire kit , cobra 19 DXIII w/ high gear mic. 4' whip on a 3" heavy-duty spring , 4.5" rough country full leaf pack lift kit
My Jeep's Page
mud-dog27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 10:26 AM   #6
mylt1

the yellow coolant should be fine in your jeep. yes it was designed to be used in gm cars/trucks/suvs but it will do no harm. there is no "additive" that will cause corrosion. it may be long life coolant but if it will make you feel better go a head and change it. it shouldnt be to expensive just find somewhere that recycles coolant, drain your system and refill with 50/50 coolant to water and make sure you used distilled water. then drop off your old coolant to be recycled.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #7
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Not ALL orange colored antifreeze is DEXCOOL. There ARE conventional ethlyene glycol based antifreezes that are orange, as opposed to the traditional yellow-green color.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 12:16 PM   #8
cmotsvt

The distilled water thing is kind of a myth. You wouldnt want to use especially bad or overchlorinated water. None of the shops fill using distilled water, I once overheard a guy asking about it when they had flushed his system and they gave him a blank stare. From what I understand long-life coolant is compatible with other coolants even for topping off, says so right on the bottle if it is.
cmotsvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #9
FitchVA
Jeeper 4 Life

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmotsvt
The distilled water thing is kind of a myth. You wouldnt want to use especially bad or overchlorinated water.
places that have well water that is "hard" should use distilled water. my parents have well wather that is rather harsh and full of calcium and other mineral deposits. using tap/well water from their place has cut the lift of a few rads in 1/2. they switched to distilled water and have had no problems.
My XJ Page | My Gallery
FitchVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 12:28 PM   #10
cmotsvt

Bad welll water would fall into the "especially bad category".
cmotsvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 12:52 PM   #11
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldnt use orange coolant in an engine that wasnt reccomended for it.. My dads Ram uses the orange stuff, and I got curious about it.. So I started reading his owners manual and it said "USE ORANGE COOLANT ONLY." it went on to say how the regular green/yellow coolant could damage the engine.. so on. I later found out that it turns to goo if the two are mixed.. Although there is one type of green/yellow that says its safe for all colors of coolant, I wouldnt trust it.. Its only a couple of bucks more for the right stuff.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 01:01 PM   #12
XJ-NoDough

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ4oh
I wouldnt use orange coolant in an engine that wasnt reccomended for it.. My dads Ram uses the orange stuff, and I got curious about it.. So I started reading his owners manual and it said "USE ORANGE COOLANT ONLY." it went on to say how the regular green/yellow coolant could damage the engine.. so on. I later found out that it turns to goo if the two are mixed.. Although there is one type of green/yellow that says its safe for all colors of coolant, I wouldnt trust it.. Its only a couple of bucks more for the right stuff.
And his is the diesel right?
Leather, Loaded[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]4L Selec-trac[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]Automatic[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]3"-4.5"ish Homebrew lift[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]16x8 MB Motoring Rockers[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]265/75R16(31[SIZE="1"]ish[/SIZE]"X10.4") Goodyear Wrangler M/TRs[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=White][B]Trimmed w/ Bushwackers[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=Red][B]Stock 3:55 gears[/B][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[B][COLOR=White]sans big audio[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Homebrew intake w/cone filter[/COLOR][/B]
"Some people are like a slinky... Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs." :my dad
XJ-NoDough is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #13
KCXJ

Thanks for all the replies. There are obviously alot of different opinions on this. I will just change it to the green stuff just to be safe.
Unread 01-09-2006, 01:13 PM   #14
mylt1

isnt some of the enviro/animal friendly stuff yellow as well? i cant remember. trust me after having to change a rad in my 87 monte carlo ss because of the po using tap water in it i will continue to use distilled water. it takes what a gal of distilled watter, maybe a gal and a half? so your out what? 3 bucks. i think its well worth it. by the way the ss was in show room condition when i got it and was always in the garage.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #15
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeps_r_fun
And his is the diesel right?
No, its the 5.7 Hemi. Im just going by what the owners manual told me, which was to just use to orange coolant, do not mix.. blah blah blah. And then by what someone told me that it will almost solidify if the two are mixed. But, the person that told me that could be wrong of course.. But by the chance they are right, better to be safe than sorry.

Am I totally wrong in the mixing idea?
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.