options for electric fans - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > options for electric fans

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
dirtdad
1996 ZJ 

options for electric fans

I would like to remove my mechanical fan, and just go with electric fans, and wondered what others have done. This is on a '95, and I currently have the stock set up with a heavy duty fan clutch (very noisy, and you can feel the drag on the engine). Also, I have never heard my electric come on except when I turn on the a/c, even when my temp gauge indicates 230. I have run the electric fan to a switch, and turn it on manually when I think I need it. I would like to run an aftermarket sensor that turns on the electrics when needed.

Unread 08-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
yankeeboy

Also, in for the info here.
"Everyday is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is. With a new game every day. And that's the way baseball is."
yankeeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
RICEKILA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A few years ago I installed a Hayden electric fan with controller - adjustable thermostat / little rubber wedge-ie thing for the temp sensor went into the upper rad. hose --- worked perfectly on my 85 monte carlo ---

On my list --
RICEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Electric fans on an XJ (meaning those that replace the mechanical fan) must be VERY large in CFM, and must also be fairly THIN at the same time. If you search, you will find a few guys who have done this sucessfully, but not many.

There is a complete replacement fan system that covers the entire radiator that has 2(?) equal sized electric fans, but it's several hundred dollars with it's own special shroud. (I cannot remember the name of this fan maker.)
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #5
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Look into this setup. http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/feat...onversion-kit/

I am thinking about it for my truck. Not because I am on the trail a lot, but I do tow with it and the stock fans are a bit weak for my tastes.
dave564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave564 View Post
This is the setup I was thinking of. You could duplicate this, IF you can figure out what total CFM you need. All you need is some aluminum sheet metal fab skills, and get the appropriate fans and controlling relays on eBay or the like.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
kycherokee1239
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I converted to these and have been very pleased.

http://ffdynamics.com/cherokeeB.html
kycherokee1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
This is the setup I was thinking of. You could duplicate this, IF you can figure out what total CFM you need. All you need is some aluminum sheet metal fab skills, and get the appropriate fans and controlling relays on eBay or the like.
They sell the shroud separately, so he'd just need to pick out his fans and temp switch. I have the kit and it works great...the first fan comes on at 185 and the other two come on at 205. I think they move around 4000~4600 CFM combined, so they do a pretty good job. My temp needle never goes over 210 unless I'm running the A/C on very hot days, but even then it only gets half-way to the next mark. It will probably perform a little better still once I put the new shroud on which has separting vanes between each fan.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.