Opinions on replacing AW4 transmission fluid - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Opinions on replacing AW4 transmission fluid

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #61
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblaza View Post
OKAY, i'm bringing this back to life. I've read the 4 pages and haven't really come to a conclusion. My XJ has 192,000km on it and it looks as if it's been a long time since the last fluid change as it's just about brown. Should I change it out?? Should I leave it? Should I drain the pan and fill it, drive it, drain, fill drive, drain fill drive? I need some serious advice on this topic. It is shifting great right now, but do I want to keep the old crap fluid in there??
The answer to this question is easy. You do NOT want to leave old brown transmission fluid in there!! And I will argue with anybody that says you should. Fluid wears out. And it needs to be replaced. Period.

I am a big fan of the technique of draining what is in the pan, refilling with Dex/Merc III (not ATF+4), running for a couple hundred miles, then repeating until the fluid STAYS a nice red color.

This is an inexpensive and safe way to maximize the life of your abused AW4 transmission.

And changing or cleaning the filter when you reach a consistent RED color might not be a bad idea.

tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #62
roblaza
1997 TJ Wrangler 

THANK YOU. I appreciate the input. I'll get on the trans ASAP. I had the oil changed tonight and while it was up, checked the t-case and it was virtually dry. I'm amazed that the 4x4 still works and isn't completely shot. (I just bought the truck...today is the first time it was driven since I obtained it.) The T-case was cleaned and filled with new fluid and the oil/filter was changed. Trans and diff's are next on the list.
roblaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #63
ideliver
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

ok I am new to this stuff. I don't even know if I am posting in the right spot. I have a 96 jeep cherokee. it is a right hand drive and a work horse. but I am having trouble with the tanismission. had it rebuilt about 10 months ago. My mechanic has went through it twice now and it starts out fine then when the weather is cooler it will not go into reverse for about 5 min. it works great most of the time but then starts slipping quits and runs fine... He put synthetic fluid in it. Could this be causing the problem?????
ideliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #64
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideliver View Post
ok I am new to this stuff. I don't even know if I am posting in the right spot. I have a 96 jeep cherokee. it is a right hand drive and a work horse. but I am having trouble with the tanismission. had it rebuilt about 10 months ago. My mechanic has went through it twice now and it starts out fine then when the weather is cooler it will not go into reverse for about 5 min. it works great most of the time but then starts slipping quits and runs fine... He put synthetic fluid in it. Could this be causing the problem?????
Your post is related to fluid, but I'd highly recommend that you start a NEW thread.

You will get more accurate replies and they will be replies that are related only to your issue.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #65
RyanXJweisheit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

the detergents in fresh ATF also causes problems after a flush or change. It cleans an loosens dirt and **** built up from the old fluid and debris cause a failure
RyanXJweisheit is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.