Opinions on replacing AW4 transmission fluid - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Opinions on replacing AW4 transmission fluid

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-17-2010, 07:09 AM   #46
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebur View Post
You'll be fine using either Dextron III/Mercon or ATF+4 (which Chrysler now recommends).
There are a number of reports on this forum that suggest ATF+4 might not be so "fine."

tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #47
Weebur
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
There are a number of reports on this forum that suggest ATF+4 might not be so "fine."
I know that there are very strong feelings about this subject but I'll still have to stand with the engineers. From the 2007 bulletin (NUMBER: 21-014-07

):

BENEFITS

^ Better anti-wear properties

^ Improved rust/corrosion prevention

^ Controls oxidation

^ Eliminates deposits

^ Controls friction

^ Retains anti-foaming properties

^ Superior properties for low temperature operation

FLUID COLOR

Mopar ATF+4(R) has exceptional durability. However, the red dye used in ATF+4(R) is not permanent; as the fluid ages it may become darker or appear brown in color. ATF+4(R) also has a unique odor that may change with age. With ATF+4(R) fluid, color and odor are no longer indicators of fluid condition and do not necessarily support a fluid change.
Weebur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #48
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
I know that there are very strong feelings about this subject but I'll still have to stand with the engineers. From the 2007 bulletin (NUMBER: 21-014-07)
Do you have any idea why "the engineers" don't recommend ATF+4 in the XJ models prior to 1989? Is there something special about the pre-1989 AW-4 transmissions? Or did "the engineers" get confused?
Unread 10-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #49
Weebur
1997 XJ Cherokee 

[QUOTE=tangofox007;10295584]Do you have any idea why "the engineers" don't recommend ATF+4 in the XJ models prior to 1989? Is there something special about the pre-1989 AW-4 transmissions? Or did "the engineers" get confused?[/QUOTE

I have no idea why they didn't include the '87 and '88 model years...was there a design change in '89...don't know. I do know that they will issue FSB's based on warranty and other dealer repair feedback; maybe that's why they did it...then again there have been some "Black Helicopters" around lately.

I'm done here. I'm changing my power steering pump (from O'Reillys) for the third time in six weeks.
Unread 10-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #50
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
I'm done here. I'm changing my power steering pump (from O'Reillys) for the third time in six weeks.
Are you using ATF+4 in your power steering pump? That's what the later model Jeeps use.
Unread 10-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #51
Weebur
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
Are you using ATF+4 in your power steering pump? That's what the later model Jeeps use.
Just finished...finally got a good (quiet) one. ATF+4...nope, the FSM says not to use ATF in this pump.
Unread 04-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #52
BUSA
1999 XJ Cherokee 

How many quartz does the 99 xj tranny hold want to change mine THANKZ..................
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #53
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
How many quartz does the 99 xj tranny hold want to change mine THANKZ..................
If you only drain what is in the pan, it will take between 3-4 quarts to refill. A whole lot more if you're replacing every drop in the transmission, torque converter and pan.

Be darn sure not to overfill when you refill. A little fluid goes a long ways on that dipstick. Final additions should be done with a hot engine, fully exercised transmission, level surface.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #54
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
IIRC, 3 in the pan and like 8 in the transmission.

EDIT:
The 99 FSM indicates that the approximate refill capacity for the AW-4 is 8.0 liters (16.9 pints), i.e. 8.5 quarts. This would be completely dry including the torque converter.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #55
BUSA
1999 XJ Cherokee 

[QUOTE="tjwalker"]

If you only drain what is in the pan, it will take between 3-4 quarts to refill. A whole lot more if you're replacing every drop in the transmission, torque converter and pan.

Be darn sure not to overfill when you refill. A little fluid goes a long ways on that dipstick. Final additions should be done with a hot engine, fully exercised transmission, level surface.[/QUOTE. What would you perfer doin the filter or just drain and fill Thankz jeeperz...........
Unread 04-26-2012, 04:20 AM   #56
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Drain and fill is usually fine unless you are experiencing systems or unless fluid changes have been ignored....ie: fluid is dark and/or you don't know history of maintenance. Then it's not a bad idea to drop the pan and clean or replace the filter (basically a screen).
Unread 04-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #57
BUSA
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalker
Drain and fill is usually fine unless you are experiencing systems or unless fluid changes have been ignored....ie: fluid is dark and/or you don't know history of maintenance. Then it's not a bad idea to drop the pan and clean or replace the filter (basically a screen).
THe fluid is still red and have maintance paperz on everything from the guy.....
Unread 04-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #58
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
THe fluid is still red and have maintance paperz on everything from the guy i bought it from now have to do front axle sealz is it very hard whatz involved thankz........
Start a new thread. The repair you are asking about is not related to this one. It gets too confusing to stack one type of repair on another.
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #59
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
THe fluid is still red and have maintance paperz on everything from the guy i bought it from now have to do front axle sealz is it very hard whatz involved thankz........
Iz your "S" key brokez??

Takes away from the intelligence in your post if you still spell like a third grader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner. View Post
I slide it in and then when I pull, it works fine.
Paradise XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #60
roblaza
1997 TJ Wrangler 

OKAY, i'm bringing this back to life. I've read the 4 pages and haven't really come to a conclusion. My XJ has 192,000km on it and it looks as if it's been a long time since the last fluid change as it's just about brown. Should I change it out?? Should I leave it? Should I drain the pan and fill it, drive it, drain, fill drive, drain fill drive? I need some serious advice on this topic. It is shifting great right now, but do I want to keep the old crap fluid in there??
roblaza is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.