Opinions on replacing AW4 transmission fluid - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Opinions on replacing AW4 transmission fluid

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #16
justanotherjpr

I use regular fluid instead of synthetic because I can afford to change the regular fluid at reasonable intervals. IMO, fresh regular fluid is better than old synthetic fluid. YMMV.

justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #17
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The synthetic "no-no" is what I found when searching around for this topic. The general consensus is that if you have a high mileage AW4 that has never gone through regular flushings, it is best to stick with the conventional oil. I certainly do not understand the science behind it, but if folks have issues with synthetic in a high mileage AW4, I will take it for what is worth.

I just purchased the truck and it has 185K on the odometer... shifts fine as far as I can tell.
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #18
Metzroth
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I know this thread has been dead for months but I feel the need to chime in. If you go to the AMSOIL website and read about their universal ATF, one thing they mention is the "Friction Durability". The section reads: Today’s transmissions are smaller and must withstand higher horsepower and torque while delivering smoother shifts, all with longer fluid life recommendations. AMSOIL Synthetic ATF is formulated with friction modifier additives that deliver outstanding clutch-holding capacity (static friction), torque-transfer ability (dynamic friction) and anti-shudder properties (slipping torqueconverter clutches).

In other words, all of those ATF additives on the shelf at the auto parts store that many people add to their conventional ATF are not necessary in AMSOIL ATF because they are already there. We will see...I just ordered $230 worth of AMSOIL fluids to replace Trans fluid, transfer case fluid, front and rear diff lube, and engine oil.
2000 XJ Classic - 33" GY Duratracs, 15x10 Cragar V5s, Crown HD springs, Clayton adjustable shackles, OME Nitrocharger Sport Long Travel Shocks, JKS Discos, extended brake lines, 2" poly spacers in front with V8 ZJ springs, Powerslot Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Hella E-Code headlight housings, Narva 100/130 Bulbs, Olympic Top Hat Rack, etc.
Metzroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #19
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Metzroth - I hope the Amsoil works out well for you. I, personally, am not an Amsoil fan. Most of their products have not been tested for the specification(s) they recommend the product for. I will only run a product that MEETS or EXCEEDS a specification, not RECOMMENDED for a specification. But hey, that is my philosophy, I do NOT want to debate Amsoil!

I simply replaced the fluid in the MJ back in February with generic Dex/Merc ATF. 10 months later I have had no ill effects.
Unread 01-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #20
Metzroth
2000 XJ Cherokee 

All I hope for is atleast the same results and hopefully using superior products will give me a better chance to achieve those results.
2000 XJ Classic - 33" GY Duratracs, 15x10 Cragar V5s, Crown HD springs, Clayton adjustable shackles, OME Nitrocharger Sport Long Travel Shocks, JKS Discos, extended brake lines, 2" poly spacers in front with V8 ZJ springs, Powerslot Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Hella E-Code headlight housings, Narva 100/130 Bulbs, Olympic Top Hat Rack, etc.
Metzroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #21
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've got something like 125,000 on mine and did the filter a few months ago. I was going to do a full fluid flush because my stuff was brown-looking. It didn't smell burnt but it didn't look ideal. I wound up just replacing the filter and topping off. I figure next time I change the oil I'll drain the trans pan and top off again. That'll make it mostly new fluid and the stuff that's in there is working great now. On the plus side, there was practically no material in the filter or on the magnets, so either it's all been done before or this transmission is holding up well.

But yeah, go for it. New fluid itself isn't going to hurt anything at all.
Unread 01-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #22
Weebur
1997 XJ Cherokee 

There's no disrespect intended for those with other opinions, but I went with the Chrysler engineers that recommend that the AW-4 trans now should use ATF+4 synthetic fluid. I changed mine out this past summer and its shifting fine, even during a 900 mile trip towing a heavy popup camper. Here's a clip I took from the Technical Service Bulletin:

NUMBER: 21-014-07
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: October 16, 2007
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 21-010-06, DATED APRIL 14, 2006, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDES THE ADDITION OF THE ASIAN WARNER (AW4) TRANSMISSION AND ADDITIONAL MODELS AND YEARS.
SUBJECT:
Automatic Transmission Fluid Usage ATF+4 (Type M59602)
MODELS:
1997-2006 (TJ) Wrangler

2001 - 2004 (WG) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)
Vehicles equipped with Gas engines

1999 - 2004 (WJ) Grand Cherokee

2005 - **2008** (WK/WH) Grand Cherokee

2006 - **2008** (XK/XH) Commander

1989 - 1995 (YJ) Wrangler

**1989 - 2001 (XJ) Cherokee**

**1989 - 1993 (MJ) Comanche**

1996 - 1998 (ZG) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)

1994 - 1998 (ZJ) Grand Cherokee/Grand Wagoneer

NOTE :**AWA (Asian Warner) transmission are now included in this Service Bulletin. ATF+4(R) is recommended for AW-4 (Asian Warner) transmissions**
Weebur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #23
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

That Technical Service Bulletin gets mentioned often, but in the bulletin, there is no justification or reason given for the change in fluid specs. Most TSB's are released to address specific customer complaints or documented problems with a specific part or assembly.

Dexron-III/Mercon is what the original designers and manufactures of the AW-4 transmission specified and used, and Dex-III/Merc is inexpensive (unlike Amsoil) and readily available at any auto parts store, WalMart, and even the local grocery store has a few bottles. I prefer regular fluid changes instead of some expensive wonder fluid.

Why change what has worked well since the first AW-4 was installed in a Cherokee ?

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #24
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87warrior View Post
The synthetic "no-no" is what I found when searching around for this topic. The general consensus is that if you have a high mileage AW4 that has never gone through regular flushings, it is best to stick with the conventional oil. I certainly do not understand the science behind it, but if folks have issues with synthetic in a high mileage AW4, I will take it for what is worth.
Most of the time when people say they have problems from changing fluid or switching to synthetics, the whole story is they had problems before that initiated the chain of activities that led to the fluid replacement or switch and when the synthetic, the last step in the process, doesn't fix things, they blame it for everything. It sounds crazy, but I know all of you know somebody who thinks like that.
Unread 01-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #25
Weebur
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
That Technical Service Bulletin gets mentioned often, but in the bulletin, there is no justification or reason given for the change in fluid specs. Most TSB's are released to address specific customer complaints or documented problems with a specific part or assembly.

Dexron-III/Mercon is what the original designers and manufactures of the AW-4 transmission specified and used, and Dex-III/Merc is inexpensive (unlike Amsoil) and readily available at any auto parts store, WalMart, and even the local grocery store has a few bottles. I prefer regular fluid changes instead of some expensive wonder fluid.

Why change what has worked well since the first AW-4 was installed in a Cherokee ?
Your points are valid. But it's well known that synthetic fluids flow better at low temps, and it gets very cold here (northern Illinois), that's the main reason I went with ATF+4. I would not have had I not stumbled on the FSB. I called my local dealer to confirm the bulletin and get their input...the service manager wasn't even aware of it.

I would like to know why they issued the bulletin, as you rightly say they usually issue bulletins to address problems.
Weebur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #26
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would call Aisin and ask them what to use in it.

AISIN U.S.A. MFG., INC.
1700 East Fourth Street
Seymour, Indiana 47274
Phone: 812-523-1969
Unread 04-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #27
Jeepman_97

So I stumbled upon this thread just in time. I will be replacing my transmission fluid in my 97 XJ Sport in the next few days. It has 181K and I have owned it since 113K w/o replacing the trans fluid.

I called a local Jeep dealer and was told to purchase ATF+4 fluid. I picked up a few quarts of Penzoil ATF+4 transmission fluid from a local parts store.

Is this the wrong type of fluid to use? Is it a problem if the current fluid is not ATF+4 and I mix it in?
Jeepman_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #28
filluptrk
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I use a Multi Vehicle Fluid. It is sold by Pennzoil, Super tech(walmart) etc. Bit of a mixture of regular Dex and synthetic fluids. Works great in my 00.
The real enemy of AutoTrans is heat, not fluid types. If you really want yours to last a long time put a cooler on it. Phil
filluptrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #29
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

As stated above, Dexron-III/Mercon is what the original designers and manufactures of the AW-4 transmission specified.

For no apparent reason Chrysler decided to issue a TSB in the mid-2000's that suggested the ATF+4. Many agree that the ATF+4 is the WRONG fluid to use and may cause damage.

Pick up some Dexron-III/Mercon and be done with it.
Unread 09-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #30
praetorian
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quick question, why do some of you say that a transmission flush is bad for these transmissions?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.