opinions on 2 lift setups - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > opinions on 2 lift setups

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 09-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
MidNightXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

opinions on 2 lift setups

I've narrowed it down to 2 options for a lift setup, thought I would throw it to you guys. I have a 95 Cherokee AT 4.0L, and the thing feels like every bump is going to be its last. All I want is at least 3" to cram some 31" Hankook MT I have under it. Its a daily driver to and from downtown, maybe 20 miles round trip every day. I do some light forest trails and mudding ever so often. Ok here we go:

1) Rusty's 3" spring kit with full leaf packs, which doesn't look to include lower control arms (necessary?), but with Bilstein 5100 monotube shocks.

or

2) RE 3.5" SuperRide lift with full leaf packs, and skyjacker hydro 7000 shocks.

There is about a $20 difference between the two with the rusty's being the cheaper. If I want superior ride quality on road, which in your guy's all knowing opinions would it be? Rustys spring and leafs any good? Thanks!

MidNightXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
4pointOH1998
2013 JK Wrangler 

Almost anyone will tell you RE over Rustys. Also if you do go RE, and plan on doing any wheeling, you SHOULD go with the Superflex over the Superride due to the new LCA's with Johnny (sp?) joints. They will allow for much greater flex and are a smarter overall choice
4pointOH1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

For what you are doing with it, the super ride will be a better choice. deff. not worth the extra $$, for the super flex if you are just wheeling a couple times a year.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

RE all the way and if its a lot of street driving get the super ride
1997 TJ, Dad's Claytons 4:88s and stuff A TJ for Dad
1992 YJ crawler, getting 60s. Build thread the illusion of progress
North Jersey Jeep Club, AtoZ Fabrication, Rozzo Fabrication
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
JeepRide
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Did you check the shipping charge on rusty's ? His part's are ok his shipping price is usually higher
Unread 09-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
253XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have the rustys lift which came with the jeep. I drove it around for close to a year without changing anything and it handled great on the road. It was a stiff ride for me, but im not sure what shocks were put on.

With that said, if I did it myself- I would have gone with the RE lift. Their stuff has a well earned reputation, and nobody ever really has problems them.
XJ Daily driver, 3" Rustys lift + 2 inch coils spacers in front and shackles in back + bushwacker cutouts, 32x10.5 Super Swamper tsl radials, spidertrax wheel adapters/spacers to fit 5x5.5 rims. Rocksolid bumper by Protofab, Flowmaster super 44.
253XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2008, 11:21 PM   #7
MidNightXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Any opinion on the skyjacker hydro shocks? anyone know what kind of ride they give? thanks for all the responses!
Unread 09-25-2008, 12:20 AM   #8
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

They are cheap hydro shocks which are all about the same so I wouldn't expect them to be very good or last that long. You generally get what you pay for.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2008, 06:21 AM   #9
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If this is a daily driver, don't cheap out on the shocks because they will determine your ride quality. I had Rusty's shocks before because my Jeep came with their lift and I replaced them with OME's and the ride quality improved noticably. I'd recommend the RE kit, probably the super-ride with full leaf packs, and a set of OME shocks. From what I hear, the ride quality will be better than stock.
Unread 09-25-2008, 08:46 AM   #10
MidNightXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Do they make OME shocks higher than 3"? or will that cover the 3.5" RE kit, I heard some say the RE kit actually is more like 4". Will this matter if the shocks are shorter?
Unread 09-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #11
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, there are OME shocks that are sized properly for the RE 3.5" kits.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2008, 12:17 PM   #12
justanotherjpr

The RE kit rides and drives great. I've bought that kit twice. Would buy it again.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #13
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidNightXJ View Post
Do they make OME shocks higher than 3"? or will that cover the 3.5" RE kit, I heard some say the RE kit actually is more like 4". Will this matter if the shocks are shorter?
I run OME's on my RE 3.5" and let me tell you they are an excellent shock especially if you are going to be making your rig a DD.
XJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.