OOPS! Overfilled Tranny - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > OOPS! Overfilled Tranny

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

OOPS! Overfilled Tranny

Overfilled the fluid in my tranny. What's a good way to get the extra out, without having to drop the pan again and get a new gasket?

Anybody had success with a hand pump in the dipstick tube? I'm worried about getting a hose stuck in there.

aldersonfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 04:40 AM   #2
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Assuming you don't have a drain plug (my '00 does) it's pump it or drop the pan.

If you are really bold, you could try to drain it a bit thru the radiator send/return lines, but I would expect a mess in your engine bay over that.
Unread 01-14-2013, 04:50 AM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Pull the plug.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Pull the plug.
...let it drain. Refill with 3~3.5 qts. Drive, and I don't mean just around the block, let it get warm, check level*, top off as necessary. If you only put in 3 qts. you'll probably only need to add 1/2 qt. after checking the level.

*Drive your Jeep until it gets up to operating temp under normal circumstances, park on level surface, keep it running. Check dipstick level. Should be AT full.

If it's reads ADD...you don't necessarily need to add a whole quart. You might want to drive it around, check it, add a 1/2 quart at a time and so on.
Unread 01-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

How much did you over fill it? Some transmissions don't mind or even work better (e.g. 42RLE in TJs) being a little over full. All suggestions (plug, pump, cooler hoses) will work. You decide what you are most comfortable with.
Unread 01-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Don't have a drain plug. Wish I did. But some good suggestions. I think I'm gonna try and pump it out with a harbor freight syphon.

My friend changed the fluid and overfilled it by quite a lot. I discovered this while driving and it started surging and wouldn't go into gear as it warmed up. I'm hoping that it's because the level is high and not a worn band or something. It's also leaking around the pan. People say it will blow out the "vent." Where is this vent?
Unread 01-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It can foam when overfilled and that will cause the mis shifts. The vent can blow out the excess and it will drip by the front of the transmission at the inspection cover. You can also blow out seals.

It is better to just get the level correct.
Unread 01-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #8
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldersonfilm View Post
Don't have a drain plug. Wish I did. But some good suggestions. I think I'm gonna try and pump it out with a harbor freight syphon.

My friend changed the fluid and overfilled it by quite a lot. I discovered this while driving and it started surging and wouldn't go into gear as it warmed up. I'm hoping that it's because the level is high and not a worn band or something. It's also leaking around the pan. People say it will blow out the "vent." Where is this vent?
I've never seen an AW4 without a drain plug. Are you looking at the trans or transfer case bottom?

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 01-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Pull the pan and add a plug if you don't have one. http://www.amazon.com/80250-Automati.../dp/B00029WR78
Unread 01-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, what'd ya know! I have a drain plug! Look at that... Whoops! Well it's draining now. Found out it's been overfilled for almost a full year!!! The previous owner over filled it too! Man, I hope I didn't destroy the tranny.
Unread 01-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I don't think you have to worry about hurting the tranny, per se, with too much fluid. The peril is having tranny fluid overflowing, spewing, out of the fill tube, gooping up your underside OR pouring on your hot exhaust... and leaving a smoke screen down the road or worse yet catching on fire.

The total capacity for the tranny is ~8-9 qts. The majority of that is held inside your torque converter etc. A simple drain and fill is ~3.5 qts.
Unread 01-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldersonfilm View Post
Hey, what'd ya know! I have a drain plug! Look at that... Whoops! Well it's draining now. Found out it's been overfilled for almost a full year!!! The previous owner over filled it too! Man, I hope I didn't destroy the tranny.
I spent a whole day riding around trying to find a drain plug to add when I was doing the filter on mine. I felt like a fool when I dropped it and it had a factory drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise XJ View Post
I don't think you have to worry about hurting the tranny, per se, with too much fluid. The peril is having tranny fluid overflowing, spewing, out of the fill tube, gooping up your underside OR pouring on your hot exhaust... and leaving a smoke screen down the road or worse yet catching on fire.

The total capacity for the tranny is ~8-9 qts. The majority of that is held inside your torque converter etc. A simple drain and fill is ~3.5 qts.
The problem with overfilling is froth, as I've read. Apparently when you have too much fluid, it winds up in places it shouldn't and gets whipped into a foamy mixture that doesn't work the same as unaerated liquid fluid will. I think this was an issue on 700R4s but may or may not be the case for our AW4s.
Unread 01-16-2013, 04:38 AM   #13
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Drop th eplug and drain it. 3.8 quarts to refill. Always a good idea to replace the drain plug crush washer to prevent leakage.

My Jeep Technical Photos

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.