OME Springs - Heavy or Medium - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > OME Springs - Heavy or Medium

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

OME Springs - Heavy or Medium

I am planning on installing an OME suspension package. Can anyone provide any insight on whether I should go with the "Medium" or "Heavy Duty" option. Apparently the only difference is in the rear springs. Most of my driving is fairly "unloaded" but I do take occasional trips carrying a fairly heavy load. My inclination is to consider the "worst case" scenario and go with the HD package. Lift is not an objective, per se.

tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2007, 04:56 PM   #2
Scottmc01
1993 XJ Cherokee 

i'd say the heavy duty springs would be for towing. or if you added alot of weight to your xj such as bumpers and racks etc.
30" Bighorns on V5's
Scottmc01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
Goldenknob
2007 WK 

what if you have a 150lb speaker box in the back permanently?
Goldenknob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
Steamer98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Go CS034RA if your looking for around +2.5" CS034RB for +2"

Quote from Dirk at DPG
From this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...ighlight=happy

"That's a broader question than I wanna post to completely, but here's the down low:
JC1A is now CS034RA
This leaf typically nets close to 3" of lift on a stock XJ.

JC1B is now CS034RB-
This pack is closer to 2" of lift.
We should keep in mind that advertised lift heights do vary a bit. This is true throughout the industry. For example, RE kits usually sit taller than advertised on a stock jeep.
You could put the exact same kit on 3 different jeeps and net 3 different lift heights, due to how each jeep is set up. Another little know fact is that XJ's came with a number of different leaf spring packs over the years. Lift heights and spring rates were not all identical.

There has been some confusion here because ARB has referred to the JC1B as a medium leaf and the JC1A as a HD leaf pack. They both have the same # of leafs, and the leafs are the same thickness. Therefore, with these leafs, the spring rates are basically the same. The reason the JC1A sat a bit taller was simply because they are arched more. To me, that's not HD. HD would mean a higher spring RATE to me. I've had a lot of people call to order OME leafs, and they said they didn't know if they wanted to JC1A or the B, but whichever one was "heavy duty"... Of course, the taller spring would hold more weight at a certain height than the other.

The JC2A and JC2B were the leafs with the straight overload leaf. They were designed for towing and hauling heavy loads. Obviously, the new OME Dakar part#'s are the CS035** series. I usually don't recommend these leafs, so I'm not sure which part#'s correspond to 2" or 3". I don't even have the new part #'s for those leafs listed in my OME books.

OME has also had a #JCXL extra leaf available for their packs. That new part# is
D22XL. These are not the typical aftermarket AAL, which is usually fatter and much more heavily arched than the springs they fit with. While the typical AAL FORCES the flatter pack to arch, creating a conflict within the pack, the OME extra leafs are the same thickness and arch as the OME pack. This is actually a compliment to the pack. These leafs usually add about an inch of lift and a bit of extra spring rate too. They still make for a nice riding pack that flexes well too.

We've built a bunch of different suspension set-ups with a variety of these and other parts for lifts netting anywhere from 2" to 4.5" or so. Applications vary greatly depending on each jeep, how heavy it is, how that weight is distributed, (front & rear) the lift height and ride characteristics desired, and so on.
That's not something that can easily be summed up here- especially considering that every jeep is different. Hopefully, that helps a bit though."

Stock XJ tire carrier for sale
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424930
Steamer98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Steamer, thanks. That is good info. I am not really looking for lift or the associated complications, so it looks like the medium springs would be best for me.

It's interesting, though, that some vendors claim that you get less lift out of the HD springs as compared to the medium.
Unread 07-09-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
dopod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have the heavy duty ones. They netted me about 2.5" unloaded. They ride and flex great. I can get them to droop further than my stock springs/spacer in the front. Either one would be a great choice.
dopod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2007, 07:46 PM   #7
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopod
I have the heavy duty ones.
What is the stock number? According to some sources, the HD version is CS035RA. (The one that DPG does not recommend.)
Unread 07-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #8
dopod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yes that is the version I have. I don't know why he doesn't recommend them, they are great. I removed the flat overload leaf because they tend to scoop up dirt, though. They would net you about 3" if you left that overload leaf on.
Unread 07-09-2007, 08:09 PM   #9
hermantherugger
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just an FYI...

I ordered the HD OME springs from Qtec...they're backordered for a few weeks.
hermantherugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2007, 06:30 AM   #10
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermantherugger
Just an FYI...

I ordered the HD OME springs from Qtec...they're backordered for a few weeks.
Quadratec has a good price on the HD springs. But they are not very competitive on the light and medium versions.

It looks like my decision is now between the non-HD springs. I am not really looking for lift and would like to avoid any lift-related problems.
Unread 07-10-2007, 09:06 AM   #11
gorman
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you don't want/need a lot of lift, go with two CS034RB - there is about an 1" free camber length difference between the A and B springs. These are the medium ones. If you find there are not heavy duty enough - OME makes an add-a-leaf that you can add later that is said to increase the spring rate by about 20%.
2000 Cherokee Country 4.0l, AW4 auto, NP242, RE/OME 6" lift, OME N35L & N36 shocks on raised mounts, JKS Quicker Disconnects, RE SYE, RE CV driveshaft, 33" Maxxis Bighorns, Cragar D window 15x8 with 4" backspacing, ARB bumper, Hella Comet 550's, Warn M8000 winch, GME GX300 29mhz, custom rocksliders, Gearmax Mod 89 rear axle, HP D30 front axle with WJ knuckles, steering and brakes, 4.56 ratios
gorman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2007, 03:39 PM   #12
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Thanks for all the input. At least I now think I understand the differences in the various spring models. So it appears to boil down to whether I want more lift or less.

In any case, it would seem that OME would do a better job of providing product information. Their promotional material focuses on extolling the virtues of their merchandise, while providing little technical data on the various spring models. For a product with such a great reputation (and high price tag), that's a bit disappointing.
Unread 07-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #13
Steamer98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I hear ya, frustrating... Give dirk a call at DPGoffroad, you might be surprised at the actual cost of the OME/ARB packs. Screw Quadratech.

Dopod, are you sure about the CS034RA? Mine dont have any overloads, and also gave me +2.5"

Pics of my CS034RA before install, no overload

during

After

Unread 07-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #14
dopod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have the CS035RA ones, not CS034RA
Unread 07-10-2007, 06:17 PM   #15
Steamer98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My fault...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.