OME lift came today! Am I ready?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > OME lift came today! Am I ready?!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing our NEW JK tail light adapter wiring harness!!

Unread 10-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
Tess
2001 XJ Cherokee 

OME lift came today! Am I ready?!

Pieced together my lift and am going to have it installed. Just want to be sure I have everything together before I get too excited

2 OME 2" HD Full Packs
4 New Rubber Bushings
2 1.75 Spacers

U-Bolts? I need to know what TC I have to get the right fit? How do I tell?

I'm going to put off shocks until I can afford the OME's, I've ready both ways that this is OK, as well as bad. I figure if waiting for shocks destroys the stock ones already on there, I didn't lose anything...
Also waiting on the SYE/TC Drop to be sure it's necessary for this particular lift.

Am I missing anything!?!

THANKS!

Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
chainerx
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You need to know what rear axle you have for u-bolts, not transfer case. If you look under the jeep and the bottom of the rear differential has a noticable flat spot you have a chrysler 8.25 rear axe, if not it's a dana 35.

A transfer case drop shouldn't be neccisary but even if you have some vibrations, they should be minor at that height so you can probably wait to find out if you have vibrations before buying the TC drop.

I say you're fine on the shocks, really all it will do if burn them up faster and probbaly make it ride worse until new ones are installed.

Are you doing the lift yourself, paying a shop do do the work, or having a buddy do it for you?
chainerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
Tess
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I thought I was going to put it in myself... then I saw how heavy those leaves are! I did some reading on the rusty bolt issues, getting the leaves to line up... Just going to take it all to my mechanic. He said it'd be 150-200 for the install. From what I've read, I'll save that much in the extra jackstands cost!
BTW Thanks I've got the 8.25
Unread 10-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
chainerx
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It does help being 6'4" and 270lbs when it comes to moving axles around, heh.

It does sound like your mechanic has given a pretty reasonable price though. I'd never be able to get that kind of deal where I live, thought hats probably because of the tourist based economy around here. Here people in BMW's and and caddys just pay whatever the shop feels like charging.

Are you planning on new tires as well?
Unread 10-12-2009, 11:42 PM   #5
ar4130
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I would go for a larger spacer up front. Chances are those leafs are going to give more than the advertised 2 inches. You will prob get more like 3-3.5, leaving you noticebly lower in front. Some people like that look though. What size tires do you plan on running?
1992 YJ -2.5 Old Man Emu lift, RC 1-1/4" Boom greasable shackles, JKS Discos, 1" Daystar BL, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KO's mounted on 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, flush mounted tailights, SJFab front bumper, TKH Fab swingout tire carrier welded to a Dirtworx rear bumper, Tuffy stereo console, RC SS Extended brake lines, Home brew plate relocation bracket, Magnaflow Cat, Dynomax Cat back, No track bars front or rear
1997 XJ - 4.5 RC coils + extra OEM spring isolator(6.5" actual front), OME medium duty springs+OME extra leaf + Teraflex 1.5 shackles (6.5" actual in rear), OME Long travel shocks, OME SS, IRO Adj TB, IRO Adj LCA'S, IRO Adj Uppers, RC Control arm drop brackets, JKS Quicker Discos, SYE / XJ shaft, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KO's on 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, RC SS extended Brake lines, Hella 500's
1996 ZJ - RE 2 inch BB w/shocks (rides like crap), OME SS, 31x10.5x15 General Grabber AT2's - SOLD
ar4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 11:48 PM   #6
Tess
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The lift is due to the new tires I stuff the back pretty often and I could proly get away with trimming... Gives me an excuse to lift a bit I've got 235/75/R15's on there right now, and I'll see if they'll look too small once I get the lift on, shocks upgraded etc. I've read that about the OME 2" lifts. They're all over the place from reported settled lifts of 1.5" to 3.75". Gonna wait to see what I need to level out the front I got the HD with overload leaf and heard some people are taking off the overload? Any reason I should look into doing this myself?
Unread 10-12-2009, 11:51 PM   #7
chainerx
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I would wait and see about the overload.
Unread 10-13-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
Tess
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Also, if I do end up with 3-3.5" from these packs... will I need to get longer brake lines (or think about anything else for that matter besides the SYE)? Is this something I could get away with doing myself after my mechanic does all the "heavy lifting"?
Unread 10-13-2009, 12:12 AM   #9
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Good stuff, the shop around here wanted almost $600 to put my lift on. Needless to say I did it myself.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 12:13 AM   #10
Tess
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Was it the pain that I read about?
Unread 10-13-2009, 12:17 AM   #11
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

No not at all. Just make sure you have plenty of jackstands and some coil compressors. It just took me and my dad longer than usual cause all 4 rear upper shock mount bolts busted
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Unread 10-13-2009, 12:50 AM   #12
chainerx
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
Was it the pain that I read about?
Ironically, I had just the opposite of what happened to HevinDester. On my 20 year old Jeep every bolt but the 4 upper shock mounts broke/broke off the nut in the frame. But with a 2000, you should be fine. Being in Michigan weather for so long didn't do my XJ any favors.
Unread 10-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #13
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah my XJ's an Illinois Jeep, so that didn't do much good either. Guys who's XJ's have been down south and in the SW their whole lives have it easy when it comes to installing stuff like lifts.
Unread 10-13-2009, 12:12 PM   #14
chainerx
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Not to mention they're cheaper since 4wd isn't needed for the winter.
Unread 10-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #15
Tess
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yup! I was lucky that the lowest mileage Jeep I found was 2wd. Los Angeles isn't a 4wd place and I didn't want the repair costs for something I'd use a few times a year. Thanks all, just gotta order the new U-bolts and I'll be set!
One last question. If I get more lift than anticipated, 3" +, should I go ahead and get a longer brake line when I get the U-Bolts? This doesn't seem like something to "wait and see" about... I dunno. Or would a mechanic have these things already?
Thanks again!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.