Oil pressure/transmission noises - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Oil pressure/transmission noises

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
vjz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Oil pressure/transmission noises

I've got a 98 XJ 4.0. Runs and drives absolutely beautifully, with the exception of a few problems.

First, the oil pressure gauge is kind of wonky. If I hard accelerate to pass a vehicle, the gauge will actually go backwards toward 10-15 PSI and then back to 40 after I let off the gas. Sometimes, the gauge will always read at 40-50, or just slightly below 40 depending on idle speed.

I just replaced the sending unit in January. Possibly a defective one? It's from Auto Zone or Advance (Can't remember).

Also, and this has been this way for as long as I have owned it, on downshift when slowing down, there sometimes is a noticeable CLUNK when the Jeep shifts into 1st gear. Sometimes, it clunks the same way when taking off from a stop light or stop sign.

Transmission mount?

Aside from that, it's a super truck and couldn't be happier with it.

vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
vjz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone?
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
who_datjeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

You need to put some grease on your transfer case output shaft for the clunk.

You probably have a defective oil pressure sender as well. Bring it back and get another one. If the problem persists, it may be something different. You could try a metal sending unit from older Cherokees like 92-93 those are known to last longer.

Take a look at my thread and see if you can answer my question.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/o...e-drum-1567969

Kevin
who_datjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.