oil pressure sending unit, coolant temp unit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > oil pressure sending unit, coolant temp unit

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-29-2006, 02:24 PM   #1
h2rescue

oil pressure sending unit, coolant temp unit

which oil pressure unit do i need, i have a 96 sport with the gauge, the store offers 1 and 2 wire, i dont wanna buy the wrong one its 25 minutes away .

and where is the engine temp sending unit for the dash gauge located?

h2rescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
BrunoS

yours for the full gauge cluster would be a 2-wire one.

the one-wire one simply sends a pressure/no pressure signal switch, at less than 5 psi, the points touch and your oil warning light comes on.

the full-gauge sender has an actual spring and resistor that is hooked to a thin metal diaphram inside, and this is what sends actual oil pressure value via variable resistance.
Magnaflow Muffler / High-flo Cat / MSD Coil
BrunoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2006, 05:47 PM   #3
jbrem
2005 WK 

Sorry to hijack, but where is the oil pressure sending unit located? (i think near the oil filter? ). My gauge is all messed up, pointing right right 100% of the time, even when the engine is off.
jbrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2006, 06:02 PM   #4
Pat96XJ

I've got a 96 xj with gauges, not just the light, and my oil pressure sender is the 1 wire version. (I've got the 4.0L) It's located on the passenger side of the engine, about 6" above the oil filter, and towards the front of the engine.
Pat96XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2006, 10:53 PM   #5
h2rescue

jbrem, thats what mine is doing. hmm. 1 says 2 wire the other has 1 wire. i suppose ill have to pop the damn hood and look
Unread 01-30-2006, 05:19 AM   #6
JoBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2rescue
jbrem, thats what mine is doing. hmm. 1 says 2 wire the other has 1 wire. i suppose ill have to pop the damn hood and look
That's the best way As for the temp guage sensor if you've got one on the left rear of the cylinder head then that's it. But as I recall my 96 only had the one on the thermostat housing
2000 Cherokee Classic with factory 16" wheels
JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2006, 09:23 PM   #7
h2rescue

jobo your right there are 2 on the 96 the one i need to change is on the head, except the valve cover is in the way, and it looks like someone tried to get at it cause the brass is folded over and stripped, oh well i wanted to change the valve cover gasket anyway

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.