oil pressure problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > oil pressure problems

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 01-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #1
DirtyRabbit
2001 XJ Cherokee 

oil pressure problems

Ive had oil pressure problems since I got my 01 XJ a few months ago. It drops low unless I am accelerating. But in the morning on cold days (10 degrees or lower) it has trouble starting and the check gauges light comes on with my oil pressure at zero and the motor sounds like a motorcycle like pup pup pup pup. If I turn it off and then turn it back on and hold the key in the start position longer than normal it will start ok and the oil will jump to 40. Also now when I'm idle it drops almost to 0 and rumbles like it wants to turn off? Any ideas of where to start looking?

DirtyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
DirtyRabbit
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Forgot to mention, I checked my oil and its not low. I'm running 10w30 standard.
Unread 01-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #3
MOBBiN
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I had the same issue when I bought my jeep... Turns out I didn't have any oil pressure. I replaced the motor. Have you had a compression test done?
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
DirtyRabbit
2001 XJ Cherokee 

No not yet. Where can I get that done?
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
steiny93
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRabbit View Post
No not yet. Where can I get that done?
you can pay a shop todo it or you can todo it yourself; basically you pull out a sparkplug, hold this http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=87582_0_0_ in the hole and have someone spin the motor; the gauge will give you a number

you do all the cylinders and compare the numbers, 145-160psi is a typical range to expect

a cylinder with significantly different compression is a tell tale of issues; that could be your hard starting issue

regarding your low oil pressure; you may want to validate that your sending unit / gauge is working or not working; having it 'jump' to 40 seems odd

you can read through the forums; quite a few threads on low pressure and the xj's
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I have to ask...what oil filter are you running? Is it orange?
Unread 01-21-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
DirtyRabbit
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Lol no I got a wix one. I heard the 4.0 likes those.
Unread 01-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #8
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

First question that needs to be asked that could be related is this. Are you having to add any antifreeze to your coolant reservoir? Unexplained coolant loss on the 00-01 can be caused by a cracked 0331 cylinder head. Not saying that is your problem but I am saying that you need to watch your coolant use like a hawk. Are you aware of the 0331 head issue on the 00-01? If not, GOOGLE is your friend and you need to educate yourself about it.

First off, any low oil pressure readings on your dash gauge should be verified. Never guess or trust what you are seeing on your dash. Go to your local parts store and rent a "mechanical oil pressure gauge". They can be rented pretty inexpensively.

Remove your oil pressure sending unit (located right above your oil filter) and temporarily install the gauge there. See what the mechanical gauge reads. If your oil pressure truly is low, then you will want to perform some more testing to decide the proper course of action. However, if pressure is within spec, then replace the oil pressure sending unit as they are a very common failure on the 4.0

The oil pressure spec. for the 4.0 is as follows:

*Not less than 13 psi at HOT idle

*Between 37-75 psi OVER 1600 rpms

TEST your way to determine root cause here. Good luck and keep us updated!
tjwalker is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #9
DirtyRabbit
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Coolant isn't leaking however I did just replace the thermostat. I will rent one of those oil pressure gauges and see what it reads. If it was the pressure sender I'm under the impression that it wouldn't cause any mechanical problems, just a bad reading on the dash. Just read about the 0331 Cylinder head. Now I wont be able to sleep.
Unread 01-24-2014, 08:57 AM   #10
DirtyRabbit
2001 XJ Cherokee 

After doing some research I decided to put her up on a lift and change the oil pump. Sure enough the old pumps screen was full of gunk. Its 2 degrees and she started up fine this morning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.