Oil Pressure Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Oil Pressure Problem

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 08-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
RedZeppelinXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Oil Pressure Problem

ok so on my '96 XJ Sport 4.0L H.O. my oil pressure gauge is showing something strange.....it used to be at 0 when the engine was off then around 40 at an idle and go up a bit when i'm on the highway.....but recently the gauge has been saying 40 even when the engine is off (and has been off for a while) and says about 60 at an idle and goes up a little from there when I drive......

is it my gauge thats messed up or is it my oil pump or filter or what? is this a big problem?

'91 XJ Briarwood - The Spruce Moose (Parting Out)
'79 J10 - Spartacus (Parting Out)
RedZeppelinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
_litz
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Shouldn't all the gauges drop to zero when powered off ?

- _litz
Unread 08-27-2009, 06:03 AM   #3
xjhavens
1999 XJ Cherokee 

there is an oil pressure sending unit that sends the signal to the guage. i would say that the unit is going bad. its buy the oil filter. i pretty sure thay are cheep and easy to fix.
xjhavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Oil temp sending units are a very common failure on the Jeep 4.0 engine. And when they go south, they often exhibit the symptoms you are describing.

Some guys temporarily put a mechanical oil pressure gauge where the sending unit resides to verify their exact oil pressure, but my bet is that a new sending unit will restore your oil pressure reading accuracy. It is located directly above the oil filter.

You might want to try cleaning the electrical connector to the sensor with electrical contact cleaner first before replacing it.

I would highly recommend purchasing this directly from Jeep for best accuracy/mating with your factory gauge. Many people including me have had mixed (poor) luck with aftermarket hardware.

Good Luck!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.