JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   Oil Pressure Problem (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/oil-pressure-problem-1414809/)

spalatucc 09-07-2012 06:25 PM

Oil Pressure Problem

Hi guys,

I recently rebuilt my engine, and got it up to 500 mi with no issues. However, when I changed the oil @ 500, as my manual said too, my oil pressure gauge has started going haywire.

When I first start up my jeep it registers as normal pressure, right around the middle mark (at least this was what it did before the rebuild), but after driving for about 5-10 min the gauge drops to zero and the "Check Gauge" light comes on. After I stop, shut off the engine, and let it sit for like 15min, when I start it up again the pressure gauge goes back to normal.

Does that make sense? Do you think it's just a problem with the gauge? (Remember this only started after my recent oil change).

tjwalker 09-07-2012 06:37 PM

I think it is likely to be more of a problem with the oil pressure sending unit.

The sending unit is located directly above the oil filter. It can be jostled when you or a shop is changing the oil filter.

First thing to do is to check the connector leading to the sending unit. If it is okay, I'd recommend changing that sending unit. It is a very common fail. And if you do so, do yourself a favor and buy the replacement directly from Jeep for the best reliability/accuracy/mating with your factory gauge.

CF 09-07-2012 07:31 PM

What's this sending unit look like? Not to hi-jack the thread. But I think I just blew mine up and now Im leaking crazy. Oil pressure gauge was pegged high since changing the oil a month ago.

So just a heads up.

tjwalker 09-08-2012 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CF (Post 14137264)
What's this sending unit look like? Not to hi-jack the thread. But I think I just blew mine up and now Im leaking crazy. Oil pressure gauge was pegged high since changing the oil a month ago.

So just a heads up.

Look above the oil filter and you can't miss it. And if your sending unit is leaking oil, you better get a new one in there and do it fast as if it's leaking now, it could catastrophically fail and leave your engine without oil.

And then you'll have much bigger fish to fry.

spalatucc 09-08-2012 03:20 PM

Hmmm... Well I replaced the sending unit when I rebuilt the engine because I accidentally broke the old one. The replacement is from Advanced Auto and not a OEM part. I guess that makes sense.

Back to the dealership I go

tjwalker 09-08-2012 05:00 PM

[QUOTE=spalatucc;14140182Back to the dealership I go[/QUOTE]

Good idea.

I buy plenty of aftermarket parts, but the oil pressure sending unit, crankshaft position sensor and most other engine management sensors I buy only from Jeep. Money well spent for reliability AND longevity.

The time now is 08:08 PM.