Oil Pressure...Guage? Sending Unit? Engine Problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Oil Pressure...Guage? Sending Unit? Engine Problem?

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 03-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
XtrailratedJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Oil Pressure...Guage? Sending Unit? Engine Problem?

So I notice this when I got to work this morning. Oil pressure has always been between 40 and 60. Maybe a little higher under hard acceleration. I do know I need an oil change, but it has only been about 5000 miles. I am usually really good about doing one about every 3000-4000 miles. Anyways, I'm thinking this might just be a faulty guage. When I turn the engine off, all the other guages zero out. The oil guage stays just like this.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

-X

Originally Posted by Durt_Diver:
Those pics might be a little too flexy for this thread. You don't happen to have any pics of your friends xj on a curb by chance?
XtrailratedJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check your fluid levels.... then disconnect the wire at the sending unit, you either have a bad sending unit, or you have a short in the wire causing it to ground out, which will peg your guage out.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
XtrailratedJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Will check fluids at lunchtime. But I do know that contrary to normal XJ functioning, mine loses ZERO oil between oil changes, No spots on the driveway.

I just found it strange the the needle remained pegged after the engine was shut off.

Those pics might be a little too flexy for this thread. You don't happen to have any pics of your friends xj on a curb by chance?
Unread 03-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

That's a bad sending unit!

easy to fix!
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
XtrailratedJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff88 View Post
That's a bad sending unit!

easy to fix!
Thanks Jeff...

Did a little more research and found others with the same symptom which was resolved with a new sending unit.

I wish more people would be alot more specific in their thread titles. It makes it really hard to find what you are looking for when searching when the title is extremely vague or generic. This causes others to start new threads about issues that have already been beaten to death. Which causes other to get pissed about people not searching.

To Do List for Tomorrow:

1- Replace Oil Pressure Sending Unit

2- Oil Change w/ Larger Oil Filter

3- Replace Belts

4- Clean Throttle Body

Unread 03-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Beware, a lot of people, myself included, often have OPSUs that are bad out of the box, so if it doesn't work don't forget it could still be the sending unit.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #7
XtrailratedJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post
Beware, a lot of people, myself included, often have OPSUs that are bad out of the box, so if it doesn't work don't forget it could still be the sending unit.
I did notice quite a few others having this problem. Is this a quality control issue? I don't understand why so many new units would be faulty from the manufacturer.

Tags
guage , oil , pressure , sending unit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.