oil pressure drops to 10?????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > oil pressure drops to 10??????

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 12-08-2004, 08:59 PM   #1
arieljeep

oil pressure drops to 10??????

i have an xj98 4.0. it seems like everytime i drive from brooklyn to manhattan,on the way to manhattan the oil pressure is fine, but on the way bak on stop lights the oil pressure drops to 10.why is that happening?

arieljeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2004, 09:19 PM   #2
Vertisce
2007 JK Wrangler 

lots of stuff could be going wrong. Bad idle speed, blown head gasket...pray thats not the problem...among other things...could also be that there is too little or too much oil in the engine.
Vertisce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2004, 11:39 PM   #3
arieljeep

oil tevel is OK

oil level is OK
Unread 12-08-2004, 11:40 PM   #4
arieljeep

oil tevel is OK.

oil level is OK.
Unread 12-08-2004, 11:40 PM   #5
jandj

if your relying on a stock gauge and there is no other evident that there is a problem I would get a good gauge and see what the pressure is really at. Stock gauge usually aren't that accurate. Bad oil pressure is a major problem, that why I have a new motor My oil pump went bad at 90K, My wife heard it knocking on her way home, so I took it out for a test drive and 100yards later the motor seized up.

Look'n to purchase now
jandj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2004, 12:00 AM   #6
Kamaaina
1998 XJ Cherokee 

On a hot day my 98XJ oil pressure will sometimes drop down to 10psi. I have 86K miles and use 10w-30. Like it was said earlier if your using the gauge on the dash it's not at all accurate. I've read other posts that also say the same thing.....it's normal.
Kamaaina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2004, 05:37 AM   #7
blackbelt
2008 JK Wrangler 

The stock guage is almost useless. Mine looks like it is working normally, but if i punch the gas, it DROPS! . Get a good guage and check it out for your peace of mind.
2006 Scion xB
1987 VW Wolfsburg Cabriloet
1969 SAAB 96 V4
blackbelt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2004, 06:59 AM   #8
homerscj7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaaina
On a hot day my 98XJ oil pressure will sometimes drop down to 10psi. I have 86K miles and use 10w-30. Like it was said earlier if your using the gauge on the dash it's not at all accurate. I've read other posts that also say the same thing.....it's normal.
I get the same thing in my '98 while wheelin'...considering my old '90 rarely even showed any pressure, 10 psi is great
Unread 12-09-2004, 07:06 AM   #9
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

It seems like the older the oil gets, the worse the oil pressure becomes. Mine will drop below the 20 line on hot summer days...
Unread 12-09-2004, 08:44 AM   #10
XJMark

The last time mine did that it turned out to be a gunked up oil filter. Changed out the filter, problem went away.

HTH,

Mark
XJMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2004, 08:10 PM   #11
arieljeep

i use K&N

I use K&N and the oil is 10w-40 and i had RESTORE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.