oil pressure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > oil pressure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
josh1011

oil pressure

What is normal oil pressure for the 4.0 with 87 octane and 200k miles

josh1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Depends on how much wear in the engine. Pressure is not a function, it is an indication of engine condition.
BIGBADWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1011 View Post
What is normal oil pressure for the 4.0 with 87 octane and 200k miles
What's yours?

And BTW, octane rating of gasoline is in no way relative to oil pressure.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
rmockelman
1993 XJ Cherokee 

My 93 at a warm upped idle is at 35. Normal driving is around 50
Unread 07-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The oil pressure spec. for the 4.0 is this:

*Not less than 13 psi at HOT idle
*Between 37-75 psi OVER 1600 rpms

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
brettgorringe
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I have a 2001 Cherokee and my oil pressure reads about 40 when cold and slowly down to zero when it'd warmed up. But it still runs perfectly fine cold or hot. I replaced the oil pressure sending unit and the oil pump and I don't know what els would cause that. If anyone could help me please? The pressure goes up to 10 or 20 when acceleration but when I am just cruising it drops to zero again
brettgorringe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
playbass
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettgorringe View Post
I have a 2001 Cherokee and my oil pressure reads about 40 when cold and slowly down to zero when it'd warmed up. But it still runs perfectly fine cold or hot. I replaced the oil pressure sending unit and the oil pump and I don't know what els would cause that. If anyone could help me please? The pressure goes up to 10 or 20 when acceleration but when I am just cruising it drops to zero again
Your bearings may be shot and the clearances are too big causing low oil pressure in your engine. Have you ever had coolant mix with your oil? Coolant eats bearings really quickly.
playbass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
brettgorringe
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I just bought it about a week ago and I have not changed the oil yet. How do know if any has got into the bearings? And what bearing are you talking about
Unread 07-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
brettgorringe
2001 XJ Cherokee 

and also it has a hard time accelorating after like 65 mph itll go faster if you floor it but it wont keep up the fast speed without keeping on the gas real hard and rapping out the engine.
Unread 07-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
playbass
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I just bought it about a week ago and I have not changed the oil yet. How do know if any has got into the bearings? And what bearing are you talking about
Apologies, I did skip a few steps. If you just purchased it, I would change the oil and filter immediately. Make sure you put a decent filter on there, like Wix or Mopar.

If you still have low oil pressure, you need to check it with a mechanical gauge to verify what you are reading on the gauge is correct. Oil Pressure Sending units go bad often enough.

Next, if you still have low oil pressure, you need to take a look at the main bearings, you may have damage to them caused possibly by coolant mixing with your oil. The 00-01 models have a bad head that cracks more often than the other years allowing coolant to mix with oil.
Unread 07-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
brettgorringe
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for your help but I still have a couple questions. the head is new so where are the mmain bearings loacated and are they cheap and easy to replace?
Unread 07-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
playbass
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Thanks for your help but I still have a couple questions. the head is new so where are the mmain bearings loacated and are they cheap and easy to replace?
Check the other things I listed first before the bearings. This site has a lot of information on what to do next if you rule out the oil filter and oil pressure sending unit.

I've never done a bearing job, so I can't speak about how easy/hard it is.
Unread 07-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
brettgorringe
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm new to thus site sorry this is my first thread. How do I find more info on the bearings? I just replaced the sending unit and did a oil change. Still funny pressure. I'm wondering if maybe I should sell it to someone who knows what they are doing or could I do it cause I really like this jeep its way nice.
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #14
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Quote:
If it is running fine I would not worry about it unless it starts knocking. There have been MANY 4.0s that have ran a long,long time with low oil pressure.
BIGBADWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #15
playbass
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADWOLF View Post

If it is running fine I would not worry about it unless it starts knocking. There have been MANY 4.0s that have ran a long,long time with low oil pressure.
This is true, too. While technically your engine is out of spec if you have 0 psi there are a lot of 4.0s out there running with the same issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.