oil pan leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > oil pan leak

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Hitman72
1988 MJ Comanche 

oil pan leak

Had a leak in the front of the oil pan since i bought the truck (88 mj). decided to take the plunge and replace the oil pan gasket with a new silicon one. After a very long day i got the pan off and all the mating surfaces cleaned. When i went to install the pan i placed a bead of RTV in the engine block and then with my finger smoothed it out (so that is was block, RTV, gasket, oil pan). I did this in the front and back corners. I then re-installed the the pan and let sit for about an hour. Put oil and started it up, ran great and had good oil pressure at idle for about 20 min. Then i got on the road and after about 30 i saw a slow drop in the oil pressure. Once home i looked under to see that the front half of the pan was spitting out oil again .

what i am thinking is that i should not have place the RTV where the gasket set but just along the edge so that the gasket is touching both matting surfaces without any interruption.

thanks your guys time.

Hitman72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.