oil pan damage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > oil pan damage

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-17-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
kanky1972

oil pan damage

I went offroad this weekend, and I damaged my oil pan, eventhough it is above my differential. Could it be that my front differential hit the oil pan as I removed the sway bar arms???

kanky1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanky1972
I went offroad this weekend, and I damaged my oil pan, eventhough it is above my differential. Could it be that my front differential hit the oil pan as I removed the sway bar arms???
bumpstops, extend them

my Jeepspeed build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/dez-racer-xj-build-367176/
skullver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
It's a possibility, but I'd suspect something else. If you haven't done it already, you might wanna check how the dent looks like and what might have caused it. Front axle can get pretty close to the oil pan under extreme articulation, and if you haven't added any bumpstops it's possible that happens.

I managed to hit my oil pan with the steering shock mount attached to the drag link (on the ORO U-Turn kit). I mounted it in a slightly wrong place, and since that I removed it altogether since I have no need for a SS.

Btw, there isn't too much extra space at the front of the oil pan so I would make it absolutely certain your oil pan isn't hitting the crankshaft (which you obviously would hear) or the main bearing caps.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
kanky1972

thanks a lot..... so far it seems that as I don´t have any bumpstops, that could be the problem.
Anymore suggestions?
kanky1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2007, 08:40 PM   #5
severous01

i say if it isn't clunking and it isnt leaking...you're fine. also, if you can still easily remove the plug you're fine.

one thing to check though is the torque on the bolts. since the pan was hit apparently hard, you'll need to make sure the gasket wasnt crushed more than it was supposed to be. so...torque the bolts.

i had some idiot lift the front of my camaro by the oil pan...put a nice dent right in the middle of the pan...where the plug was. the plug was pulling off shavings so i replaced the pan with a canton race pan. everything's good now.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.