Oil in my air filter!!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Oil in my air filter!!?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 09-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
E-Dubs88XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Oil in my air filter!!?

There is oil in my air filter. I was told it could be a bad pcv system. I havnt tried that yet but is there any other thing that it could be?

E-Dubs88XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #2
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Try cleaning the CCV suction line. When it gets clogged, crankcase vapors exit through the fresh air intake line and into the air cleaner.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep 4.0 has a CCV system, not a PCV system. You are probably experiencing some BLOWBY, a relatively common problem, especially on your vintage XJ. I had it on my 88 Comanche but it is really pretty easy to manage and it doesn't necessarily mean your engine is on its last leg. Use the SEARCH function for information on BLOWBY; no need to reinvent the wheel here. Good Luck!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
Giviner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Check out this article. I have an 88 that does the same thing. I just ordered these parts a few days ago which will hopefully fix the problem.

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=257985
Giviner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #5
Ed Rico
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Along with the updated CCV parts, you could also switch to a late 4.0L valve cover. It has some revised baffling to help keep oil out of the CCV lines.

-Ed Rico
Ed Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Rico View Post
Along with the updated CCV parts, you could also switch to a late 4.0L valve cover. It has some revised baffling to help keep oil out of the CCV lines.

-Ed Rico
x2 If your lines are clogged, you will deff. get oil in the air filter. and it's not really blowby. I had an oil soaked air filter last year, bought new lines and elbows from the factory (around 30 bucks). and havent had any oil in there since.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.