Oil Leak Around Oil Filter Adapter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Oil Leak Around Oil Filter Adapter

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-26-2011, 07:15 AM   #1
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Oil Leak Around Oil Filter Adapter

My 93 Cherokee is leaking oil where the 90 degree oil filter adapter mates with the engine block. It has been leaking ever since I have had the XJ, but cleaned up things this weekend and identified the source of the leak. I have tightened the adapter using a 3/8" hex wrench as tight as I can. Has anyone else had this problem and solved it? Is there a gasket of some sort inside the adapter where it would seal better to the engine block?

1993 XJ Cherokee - 3" Lift, 31" tires
Previous Jeeps - 1981 CJ-5, 1985 CJ-7
Gymguyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Its an incredibly common problem, there are some o-rings on the inside, the big one that seals the adapter to the block gets hard and starts leaking.

You can buy an o-ring kit from most auto parts stores or the dealer for a couple bucks. I just called the dealer and asked for an "Oil filter adapter O-ring kit" I replaced my o-rings a few months ago.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
mbardeen
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I just fixed this over the weekend -- if you search around there's a lot of information out there about how to change the o-rings. The hardest part of doing this is finding the proper torx bit and getting the bolt out (it's in there *tight*).

T-60 is the bit you need. If you get a socket set that includes it, make sure it's removable from the socket (not a lot of space to get a socket wrench in there). I used a 12mm box wrench to hold it and a foot and half tube for leverage.
mbardeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
TheBlueDevil
1997 XJ Cherokee 

had this same problem and the new o-ring kit sealed it right up. x2 on that torx bit technique!
TheBlueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
mbardeen
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Huh. I just re-read your post. Your filter adaptor has the hex bolt in there? Lucky! Sounds like you have the proper tool already. Just get the o-rings from the dealer, pop it off, replace the rings, and reinstall. Really that simple.

There's 3 rings, two small ones for the bolt and one large one where the adaptor attaches to the engine. On mine, the ones on the bolt looked like they were still good, but the large one was flattened and brittle.
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Gentlemen.
I have called Advance Auto and will pick up the part this afternoon. I will go to Sears and see if I can get a T-60 Torx. I checked the tightness of the adapter this weekend with a 3/8" Hex wrench and it fit pretty snug. I'm not going to try to get this thing off without the proper tool. Stripping the Torx threads would be a disaster.

1993 XJ Cherokee - 3" Lift, 31" tires
Previous Jeeps - 1981 CJ-5, 1985 CJ-7
Gymguyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
mbardeen
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Well, check to see if it is indeed a torx head bolt first. Some Cherokees came with a hex (allen key type) bolt, and some with a regular bolt. I'm unsure which years came with which bolt.
Unread 09-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The torx ones are internal torx, so you can't put a hex wrench on it. They did come with hex bolts sometime, mostly on older models, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is hex. Us people with the torx ones have a much more interesting time. I managed to fit the t-60 bit (removed from socket) into a racheting wrench, and used a piece of square tubing for leverage.

Here was my writeup, but as said, its quite simple and if you have a hex head one, even easier. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/m...l#post11798386
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.